Propaganda enclosed with the ballot.

browned out

Is there an ethical obligation for the teamsters to leave propaganda out of the ballot envelope? There was no equal opportunity for those who would have used the platform to explain the other points of the contract TA and why one might vote NO.

Got another post card today. It reads: "If you have your ballot, vote YES now to ratify the Proposed Agreements..........." It does not say vote NO no now to reject the proposed agreements.

I think there may be some legal ramifications or penalties for the blatant omissions by the Teamsters. One would think they would be required to show the down side or concessions of the TA.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Is there an ethical obligation for the teamsters to leave propaganda out of the ballot envelope? There was no equal opportunity for those who would have used the platform to explain the other points of the contract TA and why one might vote NO.

Got another post card today. It reads: "If you have your ballot, vote YES now to ratify the Proposed Agreements..........." It does not say vote NO no now to reject the proposed agreements.

I think there may be some legal ramifications or penalties for the blatant omissions by the Teamsters. One would think they would be required to show the down side or concessions of the TA.

That's just silly, IMO.

​You think Obama should have been required to include all the down side repercussions of re-electing him?

browned out

That's just silly, IMO.

​You think Obama should have been required to include all the down side repercussions of re-electing him?

No; but when you picked up you election ballot; it was not allowed to have any propaganda in it. To be similar to what the teamsters did; the ballot have a flier attached..... We recomend you vote Romney right on or with your ballot. That kind of garbage is not acceptable.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The flier you mentioned was not included with the actual ballot and was mailed out on a different day in a different batch.

Is it a little tasteless? Probably. Is it unethical? Not really. Is it a waste of dues money? Absolutely.

If the leadership is endorsing the TA, why would they waste even more money on printing up even more material with reasons to vote against it?

Nitelite

I have the contents of my ballot envelope right here and there is a 2 page "letter" from the National Negotiating Committee which contains "Your national negotiating committee along with the 300 leaders of every UPS local union in the nation has voted unanimously to endorse this agreement and recommend that you vote yes to approve it."

That's shady as hell.

stink219

I'm sure the union executives did that without consultation from the legal team. Your probably correct. Which law firm do you work at again?

stink219

I have the contents of my ballot envelope right here and there is a 2 page "letter" from the National Negotiating Committee which contains "Your national negotiating committee along with the 300 leaders of every UPS local union in the nation has voted unanimously to endorse this agreement and recommend that you vote yes to approve it."

That's shady as hell.
Your right. The should have done all that negotiating work and included a vote no flyer so all that work could be for not. You know what I find shady? Some people's psychology on this brown cafe site.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That's shady as hell.

Even though everything you stated is the truth.
This thread and it's premise is just silly.
Anytime anyone produces a good or service they tell you all the good things about it.
I know that if you want to sell your car, you would not tell the buyer all the things that were not exactly right or wrong about the car.

Moneythehardway

Anytime anyone produces a good or service they tell you all the good things about it.
I know that if you want to sell your car, you would not tell the buyer all the things that were not exactly right or wrong about the car.

I would. I've sold 2 of my previous cars before detailing the good AND what needs fixing on it, and both times sold and both times buyers respected the fact that I was upfront. Everyone doesn't fudge the truth. Some people are just shady to the bone

stink219

I would. I've sold 2 of my previous cars before detailing the good AND what needs fixing on it, and both times sold and both times buyers respected the fact that I was upfront. Everyone doesn't fudge the truth. Some people are just shady to the bone
Omg. Of course you would. In this case.

That's shady as hell.
What is shady is those pusillanimous at the two man meeting who endorsed it and then went away and bad mouthed it. Those are some real men there. You have to go away and change your mind. They are either pusillanimous or there are liars. They all endorsed it so why not put that in with the ballots? If they all didn't then they wouldn't. Wake up. These guys all know this is what's best for us all in the long rearm but they are scared to tell there members the truth for political reasons. The day I become a business agent and tell my members what they want to here is the day I should go back to my route.

InsideUPS

I agree that the postcard was not necessary and borders on the inappropriate. The IBT has mentioned numerous times that the contract was "Unanimously Accepted" in a variety of previous mailings. Voting is a private matter and the IBT went a little far by the way they worded their statement (as written above). Just another unnecessary and costly mailing. If only they would have put more time in getting the return address CORRECT....

This postcard leads to me believe that the IBT is desperate to get this contract ratified.... Simply put the information out there and let US....each and every one of us.... decide whether we like or dislike the contract enough to ratify it or reject it. Desperation is a sign of weakness....or that the benefactor of this contract is someone other than we...the UPS members of the bargaining unit...

InsideUPS

The flier you mentioned was not included with the actual ballot and was mailed out on a different day in a different batch.

Is it a little tasteless? Probably. Is it unethical? Not really. Is it a waste of dues money? Absolutely.

If the leadership is endorsing the TA, why would they waste even more money on printing up even more material with reasons to vote against it?

Thank you for saying everything that I immediately thought when I read that postcard.....

stink219

I don't think the card needed to say what the concessions are. Just a little suprised that it didn't say "or Vote No if you don't like the TA"
It had instructions on the ballot. "If you are in favor of this agreement vote YES. If you are not in favor of this agreement vote NO."
Simple

Catatonic

Nine Lives

And I can guarantee you that the people who bought your cars found things you did not mention and thought you were conning them because you mentioned only the superficial things and not the important things.

You sound like some of the self-righteous people I worked with who were so full of integrity and were always honest about everything.
They were really good at deceiving themselves ... but they did good as they went on to become Division, District and Region managers at UPS.
Good luck at becoming CEO.