Pros and Cons of going to Feeders.....????!!!!!!

Yeah, but your building has 400 Feeder drivers. They can always find some fool to work the OT so others aren't forced.

Yikes, I hate forced OT. Especially last minute forced OT you can't plan on.
2012 is a bid year, so I have some options.

How many do you have Ovah?

Plus you get to bid inside,right? How long is that bid? I`m really getting tired of driving and an inside job would be the kicks.

over9five

Staff member
How many do you have Ovah?

Plus you get to bid inside,right? How long is that bid? I`m really getting tired of driving and an inside job would be the kicks.

Maybe 75, not really sure.

Yup, inside is one of the jobs I'm considering. It's a 2 year bid.

P

pickup

CONS:

You never know how long you have to work on any day. In Package, you can kinda guess when you'll be done based on what's in your car. In Feeders you may think you're almost done, but they can and do send you right back out if you have time left. 14 hours at their whim, think about that.

You'll have a new start time every few weeks. Unlike Package, in Feeders there's bumps every week.

God help you if you get stuck in a shifter for 14 hours. I'm looking for a razor blade to slice my wrists after about 6.

Here's my worst: You're in that shifter all night....You have about 10 minutes left till your 8, so you're thinking, "One more move, and they'll send me home".
Oh, no. That's when they'll tell you, "We need you to go onroad". Now you have to pre-trip a tractor just when you thought you'd be going home.

It's a big decision. Good Luck, whatever you decide!

And let us know.

The shifter might be the best place to start for a package car driver making the transition to the feeder. If done early enough in the year(with less yard traffic), the newbie can get the hang of backing up a tractor trailer combination with the support and advice of those around him , as opposed to doing it at a customer pickup. The feeders department management usually gives a lot of leeway to a newbie learning the ropes so they won't hold his lack of speed in knocking off "yard moves" because they know he will pick up the pace in time.

The shifter might be the best place to start for a package car driver making the transition to the feeder. If done early enough in the year(with less yard traffic), the newbie can get the hang of backing up a tractor trailer combination with the support and advice of those around him , as opposed to doing it at a customer pickup. The feeders department management usually gives a lot of leeway to a newbie learning the ropes so they won't hold his lack of speed in knocking off "yard moves" because they know he will pick up the pace in time.

The worst thing about rookies in the yard is having to babysit them. Sure they know the 5 driving habits and 10 point commentary but they don`t know how to do anything else.

P

pickup

Yeah, but your building has 400 Feeder drivers. They can always find some fool to work the OT so others aren't forced.

Yikes, I hate forced OT. Especially last minute forced OT you can't plan on.
2012 is a bid year, so I have some options.

I more than vaguely remember that you made the temporary switch back to package car because you wanted the overtime that you weren't getting with the "8 and skate" scenario of feeders. Now you don't like the OT??????????????

P

pickup

The worst thing about rookies in the yard is having to babysit them. Sure they know the 5 driving habits and 10 point commentary but they don`t know how to do anything else.

True, but I can say with certainty that all of us were at that stage when we did need help from a more experienced driver. We took the help then, now it is time to give it back.

over9five

Staff member
I more than vaguely remember that you made the temporary switch back to package car because you wanted the overtime that you weren't getting with the "8 and skate" scenario of feeders. Now you don't like the OT??????????????
That is true. But there's a big difference between zero overtime, and 1 1/2 hours overtime....and a bigger difference in forced overtime that could be 6 hours a night.

I don't need any overtime at all at this point in my life, so why would I want to be there after 8? You're right, I'm not satisfied wherever I am....

Bids coming. Inside jobs get zero OT, no start time changes, less pressure than Feeders even!

True, but I can say with certainty that all of us were at that stage when we did need help from a more experienced driver. We took the help then, now it is time to give it back.

Maybe I should have phrased that differently. I never said we didn`t help them, unless they`re one of those "I was king of the world in package car" types. Those guys don`t listen and are usually the first ones sent back for a crash.

What I meant is how pathetic their training is. I was trained into feeder by a sup with real world driving experience. Now they have DTS trained parrots teaching drivers who can`t properly demonstrate what to do because they don`t know how themselves. I had to help a rookie recently who didn`t know how to get the legs up on a drop frame trailer. Why? because his sup didn`t think of having him move one in training.

hypocrisy

Banned
I would speak to some of the bottom and middle rung Feeder drivers in your area before you make the switch. Feeders generally have their own work rules different from what is in the Contract and it can vary widely by region. In general, it is much more of a seniority driven operation than package.

I would ask if you will be classified as a relief driver or back up feeder driver, as these are usually used on an 'on call' basis. They may have call in procedures that you could love or hate. Your schedule could vary widely from week to week as well as day to day. Your weekend could consist of only 34 hours off on a regular basis. Ask about how they cover sleeper runs as these can go over the road on weekends and keep you far from home for 2-3 days at a time (but they pay very well). Perhaps you will be working Feeders Sunday's and Friday nights and package in-between until you gain enough seniority to move up.

DOT says you have to have 10 hours off to rest, but within that time you will be expected to get yourself to/from work, eat, do whatever family needs you have as well as sleep. Depending on your commute this can reduce your actual sleep to 4-6 hours on a regular basis. Yes, as others have said, most experience weight gain although a few lucky ones have built in high metabolism. You'll have to moderate or replace your daily activity now with outside exercise (and that can be tough with our schedule).

You might find these hours are great for your family life or, as one driver told me, find that your wife has been taking advantage of knowing you wouldn't be home til 8pm every night. Expect to work a lot of nights for at least the first 5 or more years in Feeder. Expect to work anytime you never did before: Sundays, Saturdays, Holidays, etc. It's a 24/7 operation and calling in sick 1 hour prior isn't tolerated no matter what the contract says. Feeders, for the most part, actually treats you as the adult professional you are and they trained you to be.

I don't see anything above as being a negative, and it's what I experienced on a regular basis my first few years (aside from the wife part LOL). You'll either love your time in Feeders or feel you made the worst mistake ever so be sure before you make the commitment. I highly recommend going into Feeders, it's like working for a completely different UPS.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Pluses in feeders:
1) I have a key to the building, and my own alarm passcode.
2)My boss is 65 miles away. As long as the trailers show up on time at the hub, and get pulled on time, or i have a good excuse, he doesn't care.
3) Easiest job at UPS. If you serve a preload, the preload full time supe will kiss the ground you walk on, as long as the loads are early.
4) Nice air ride cab, with an air ride seat, good A/C and heater, and at my center, I am the only one that drives MY tractor.
5) You mostly work nights.........
Minuses in feeders
1) Remember the key and alarm passcode? Thats because sometimes your phone rings, and you gotta go(part of getting the big bucks). Plus, you may start at an odd time, like 1930 on a Sunday night, and you are the only one there.
2) If you hate working nights, or have sleep issues, then you will hate feeders, 'cause you gonna work some nights.
3) Lots more paperwork- Seal controls,figuring out your DOT hours, signing off equipment, keeping up with your hours(thats right, you have to keep a running total of hours worked versus hours left to work. And have them handy when the boss man calls.
4) Bring a load in late to a preload, and they have run out of work. Hell hath no fury like a preload supe whose operation has been sitting still, getting paid for 15 minutes
5) Having to leave your tractor to be worked on. Spares are spare for a reason........
We have a 6 month bid, but I have enough years to hold my current run forever, if I choose to do so. I normally am off within a 30 minute window each morning. This is WAY better then when I was in package, when it could vary from 30 minutes of ot to 2 hours. Plus I only get in and out of the cab maybe 30 times a night, which is way better then the 4-5 hundred in package.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Not sure about you, but I am pretty certain we were all rookies at one point. When I started out, co-workers helped each other out. Now, everyone helps themselves. Literally.