Prospective UPS Auto Mechanic Questions

ClaytonBlunt

Few questions here. I will be separating from active duty soon. I have been a mechanic on everything from sedans to heavy trucks for a few years now. I want to go work for UPS for many reasons, but would like to stay somewhere decently warm or the northwest. My questions are:

What is the pay?

Is the shift listed online usually accurate?

Is the sunrise shift actually 6a-12p or is it longer?

How do you like working for UPS?

What is some advice you would give someone trying to become a UPS automotive mechanic?

trickpony1

EDIT:
Usually only high seniority mechanics get the day jobs.
If hired, you can count on working nights for a while.

Not sure where you got "6am to 12pm".

trickpony1

Another edit:
If there is a large Air Force base or other military base in your area, you might be better off applying there and using your 5 point Veterans preference.

You need to do this soon after separation as there is a window of time allowed.

Good luck.

trickpony1

I'm guessing the OP has a pristine, virgin and glossy view of UPS and can hear the angels chorus every time he sees a pkg car.

This isn't, necessarily, reality.

I work at a large hub. I know:
3 mechanics that got fired;
2 quit and;
the remaining ones get ragged on all the time.

I suggest the OP contact his Resource Officer/department (the people who assist outgoing members) and ask about testing for his desired trade and relocation options.

Try working as a civilian on a military base first. You can always apply at UPS later.

Time is of the essence.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I’d stay away from a fleet maintence mechanic career going by what my mechanics say. Unlike a dealership or independent auto shop, you’re working on the companies vehicles. They are the ones paying for the repairs so the parts and time needed to correctly fix problems are under scrutiny and cost cutting is rampant. Everything from no OT hours to doing cost cutting on actual parts needed is under pressure.

As a dealer or independent mechanic, the customer isn’t your employer, and as such, isn’t under the pressure to cut corners.

rod

Retired 22 years
Few questions here. I will be separating from active duty soon. I have been a mechanic on everything from sedans to heavy trucks for a few years now. I want to go work for UPS for many reasons, but would like to stay somewhere decently warm or the northwest. My questions are:

What is the pay?

What is some advice you would give someone trying to become a UPS automotive mechanic?

The difference between being a military mechanic and a UPS mechanic would be like the difference between night and day. In the military you would have access to unlimited spare parts and tools and have the time to fix things. At UPS you would have a roll of duct tape and maybe a hammer and told you are allowed 15 minutes to do a complete engine swap.

oldngray

nowhere special
The difference between being a military mechanic and a UPS mechanic would be like the difference between night and day. In the military you would have access to unlimited spare parts and tools and have the time to fix things. At UPS you would have a roll of duct tape and maybe a hammer and told you are allowed 15 minutes to do a complete engine swap.
Nothing better than a little piece of tape to take care of that pesky check engine light.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I am a auto tech and there are a few others on here that may chime in as well. It's not a easy job and there is a lot of stupid crap you have to do but overall it is a good job with good pay and benefits. Right now the top rate in my area is just under 37 a hour and it's a 2 year progression. I think it starts out at 23 or 24 or something like that. Some shops are IAM and others are IBT, the IAM pension is better other than that I think the benefits are the same.

You will be working at night for a LONG time, in my hub it takes about 20 years to get days but you never know you may get lucky. Personally I dont mind working at night so it's not a issue for me.

Your going to get a lot of wise ass answers on here because it's mostly drivers that don't know all the crap we have to do and how little time we have to fix their heat, hard to open door, mirrors that fold in at 100 MPH on the highway ETC.. Plus people on here like to bust balls, that's part of the culture at UPS. If you can't handle being told you suck and are thin skinned then this is not the place for you.

I personally have not heard of a tech being fired in my area but I am sure it has happened. This is a union job but if you steal or lying there is not much the union can do for you.

I’d stay away from a fleet maintence mechanic career going by what my mechanics say. Unlike a dealership or independent auto shop, you’re working on the companies vehicles. They are the ones paying for the repairs so the parts and time needed to correctly fix problems are under scrutiny and cost cutting is rampant. Everything from no OT hours to doing cost cutting on actual parts needed is under pressure.

As a dealer or independent mechanic, the customer isn’t your employer, and as such, isn’t under the pressure to cut corners.

Yeah, your only pressured to steal from the customer and upsell :censored2: that the customer don't need.

I did 15 years of that :censored2:. No thanks! plus no pension and once you get a little older and slower they tell you to GTFO. I saw that happen to better techs that I so I saw the light and went fleet before I got old

Johney

Plan on starting at a very low rate for a mechanic. We just had a new one leave who was very good due to the low rate of starting pay.

MAKAVELI

I do agree with your statement. But dealerships and private garages don't offer a pension, healthcare and job security of being a union member.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert

What is the pay?

If its Teamsters there is a 4 year progression that starts at $18.75/hr.

Whatever shift they have posted online isn't necessarily gonna be accurate. Shifts are chosen via bid so those hours may definitely change. Drivers deliver during the day so we fix them at night. I would expect more of an 8pm-5amish shift.

Working here can truly suck but the pay is good.

As far as advice I would say if it's broken, fix it. Considering you are assigned a fleet, you will see that vehicle again, and again, and again. Just fix it don't procrastinate.