Protect yourself!

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
My boss called me yesterday trying to get my input on "cutting labor costs". I heard similar stuff from other drivers in another building. That stock drop on tuesday and the fact that UPS was like the only major company not to have a rebound on wednesday must have made the orders come down from above for managers to do whatever they can to cut costs. If you're in the habit of doing any questionable practices like CIRing packages with "DOCK" as the name, I'd strenuously suggest you rethink your priorities.

Next Day Error

X - Other
My boss called me yesterday trying to get my input on "cutting labor costs". I heard similar stuff from other drivers in another building. That stock drop on tuesday and the fact that UPS was like the only major company not to have a rebound on wednesday must have made the orders come down from above for managers to do whatever they can to cut costs. If you're in the habit of doing any questionable practices like CIRing packages with "DOCK" as the name, I'd strenuously suggest you rethink your priorities.
What if a guy named Albert Dock is my CIR contact

Hot Carl

Cover driving for two years really highlighted just how rampant that practice is.

Hot Carl

Orion 100%.
I wish I had the luxury of being able to do that on my route, but ORION wants me to do stuff that is flat-out unsafe, like turning my entire afternoon into a game of Frogger, zig-zagging across busy traffic nearly a dozen times. That doesn't sound like the path of least resistance to me.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I stopped a pkg driver on my street yesterday to give him some Gatorade. He told me that management had just sent him a text saying that he had better be in by 9.5. A cover driver with over 200 stops in a semi rural area. I told him he better start calling in now. he laughed and said he already had. lol.

Brown Down

I stopped a pkg driver on my street yesterday to give him some Gatorade. He told me that management had just sent him a text saying that he had better be in by 9.5. A cover driver with over 200 stops in a semi rural area. I told him he better start calling in now. he laughed and said he already had. lol.
that sounds like an easy harrasment grievance.

raceanoncr

Right off the bat...I don't give "input" on your job. You, managment, have already told me you're smarter than me and we don't want you doing any thinking (Yes, they told me that one time and I never forgot it and, YES, I always threw it in their face when confronted this way).
WAD and request a ride everyday, if that's what it takes. It never bothered me if they did, in P/C or Feeders.

YourMissingCallTag

My on road suddenly wants me to hit a SPORH that I can only describe as “runner gunner with his hair on fire.”
My Center Manager has taken a keen interest in my SPORH since peak ended. I love telling him “I have no accidents , no injuries and no service failures”. Can’t wait to use his “no two days are ever the same” quote on him….

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My Center Manager has taken a keen interest in my SPORH since peak ended. I love telling him “I have no accidents , no injuries and no service failures”. Can’t wait to use his “no two days are ever the same” quote on him….
Tell him to saddle up and show you how it’s done He will quickly find somebody else to pester

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tell him to saddle up and show you how it’s done He will quickly find somebody else to pester
...or, and this if far more likely, he will find areas that need improvement....perhaps he is spending a little too much time BSing with his customers or is getting signatures when he should be either DRing or CIRing or is doing his customer a "favor" by making multiple drops rather than delivering to a single location at a business...maybe he is driving more than 1 mile in either direction off his main route to have lunch at his favorite spot or he may be spending too much time in the cargo area or may not be parking to where he can deliver two or more residential stops from the same parked position...

Any on car or business manager can find ways to improve even the most efficient driver routine. The only difference is the degree of improvement that can be achieved and whether the driver incorporates those improvements in to his/her daily routine. It takes less than a minute for an on car to figure out if a driver is putting on a show during a ride along.

Up In Smoke

My favorite this week was that I had no bulkhead action for the first 28 stops on Wednesday. As Orion had me delivering from the 6,7 and 8s for the first 2 plus hours, I had no "walk to" allowance. I guess swing doors have no trigger. Of course, I asked if he had validated my route that morning. His response was that he has 30 drivers in his group and it was impossible to validate every route.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
...or, and this if far more likely, he will find areas that need improvement....perhaps he is spending a little too much time BSing with his customers or is getting signatures when he should be either DRing or CIRing or is doing his customer a "favor" by making multiple drops rather than delivering to a single location at a business...maybe he is driving more than 1 mile in either direction off his main route to have lunch at his favorite spot or he may be spending too much time in the cargo area or may not be parking to where he can deliver two or more residential stops from the same parked position...

Any on car or business manager can find ways to improve even the most efficient driver routine. The only difference is the degree of improvement that can be achieved and whether the driver incorporates those improvements in to his/her daily routine. It takes less than a minute for an on car to figure out if a driver is putting on a show during a ride along.
9C51068B-DAC4-4110-9E89-3D70984B79B1.gif

Thebrownblob

1682769448301.gif

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Most drivers figure its part of their daily routine everything Upstate posted..

If the Orion is jacked (alleged) how about working on the other methods to improve your day.....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the Orion is jacked (alleged) how about working on the other methods to improve your day.....
I considered myself to be a very efficient driver but the one thing that I did that I probably shouldn't have was to sweep my 3 bulk pickups before going back within an hour to close them out, which added 5-10 miles to my planned day.

Thebrownblob

Been on the same route for 17 years. It is a very tight industrial area and other names of companies very little has changed. Orion is permanently turn off on my route because of the bulk. It was a two hour under allowed route for many years.
Now it is an even or slightly over allowed route due to manipulation and unit number changes by i.e. people who do my route without knowledge routinely mis pick ups or can’t get deliveries done without help.
no, I don’t really care either way, but to pretend this company is not dishonest by arbitrarily deciding how much more time is worth is a game I will not play. And for the record, my motto is the methods are your friend. Chasing fake numbers is no different than a hamster on a wheel.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How many S&V's have you gone on where it became evident within the first minute or so that the driver was either not following the methods or had created his own set of methods?