Prudential Retirement

0RW0

I'm new here, although I've read a few posts that searches have brought me to. I received a card in the mail the other day stating that I am now eligible for the teamster 401k. I asked a friend who has worked at UPS for a few years about it. He told me he doesn't use it because there is no matching and that I could just change my contributions at the upsers site once I have a year under my belt and UPS matches. He said he uses etrade to manage his 401k. I signed up, but haven't made any contributions yet. Is this something I should go ahead and do? Is this UPS's 401k or something supplemental? Figured I'd ask here, because getting answers at work is like pulling teeth.

0RW0

So is this the only 401k option or does UPS offer one separate from the IBT. Sorry for the ignorance, I'm not very well versed in job benefits. I haven't had the opportunity to have many jobs that offer it.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Its the only one you can manage . After working 5 years you are vested in the ups pension plan. That money you cant touch until you retire

0RW0

I've had everything set up, I'm just trying to decide what to start up. From what I've read, if you're not being matched the Roth is the way to go, but I'm confused with the "Option Week" and "Roth Option Week". What are these and their differences?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You have the option of having your Option Week paycheck deposited directly in to your 401k or Roth. Most likely you do not have Option Weeks where you work so this most likely would not apply.

By The Book

Thanks for the info guys.
It's the teamster /UPS plan. You have it deducted weekly from your check and prudential administers it. There is no matching so if your waiting for that to happen don't hold your breath. Think of it like a forced savings plan. It's absolutely worth it, if you want to have money for your retirement after age 59 1/2. Put in what your comfortable with and forget about it until you want to put more into it.

UPSGUY12

I've been putting 10% of my pre-tax pay into it since 1996 & I'm glad I did now that I'm close to retirement. You can get a loan from it before age 59-1/2 for education, medical, or foreclosure only. However, remember, this should be a last resort option as you will pay 10% penalty to the government & interest on the loan which you will pay back w/after tax dollars. So, yes, invest in it-but only as much as you feel comfortable not being able to use til you're 59 1/2. Hope this helps

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've been putting 10% of my pre-tax pay into it since 1996 & I'm glad I did now that I'm close to retirement. You can get a loan from it before age 59-1/2 for education, medical, or foreclosure only. However, remember, this should be a last resort option as you will pay 10% penalty to the government & interest on the loan which you will pay back w/after tax dollars. So, yes, invest in it-but only as much as you feel comfortable not being able to use til you're 59 1/2. Hope this helps

There is no penalty imposed when you borrow from your 401k. Loan payments are made with pretax money.