PT Break

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by PTPunchingBag, Dec 5, 2019.

1. PTPunchingBag

PTPunchingBag Member

In the state of New York, workers of shifts starting between 1pm and 6am that work in connection with a mercantile by law are allowed a 45 minute break. My hub only does a 30 minute break, and I haven’t called Department of Labor because some people don’t want a 45 minute break or is “unfair” to the multi billion dollar company. If I want the 45 minute break permitted by law, am I allowed to refuse work to abide by state law? I understand this is a Union issue and I will be talking to a steward about this today and may even go to DOL

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

Don't waste your time. No way in the world are they going to give inside employees a 45 minute break. Not gonna happen.

3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Only if there are late trailers.

4. Brown Biscuit

Brown Biscuit Blind every day

One time we had a fire in the building and had a nice hour long break outside. Good luck man.

5. watdaflock?

watdaflock? Well-Known Member

I hope management finds a reason to fire you.

6. trickpony1

trickpony1 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the company didn't try to code that as "meal".

7. MattM

MattM Active Member

Our 10 minute break happens when we walk in and have our pcm lol.
    We had some new guys who wanted to go by the book precisely. They wanted a break when they wanted to break.
    I think PTers are allowed 10 minutes additional after 3-5 hours of work.
    Learn to work within your means and you’ll find time to break ever 2-3 minutes every hr or so.

8. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

We had a fire last week and the sup chained the doors and refused to let us leave until all the trucks were loaded. I still don't have eyebrows .

9. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

How about follow the contract and take break when it says.

10. Wrong

Wrong :))

If it really is New York law, they won’t really have a choice. It’s one of the few businesses that can’t just flee that rat infested :censored2: hole.

11. Wrong

Do it for the lols. I would.

12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

It's not.

13. Justaloader

Justaloader Active Member

New York Meal and Rest Break Laws

What's interesting - this doesn't state which law trumps which - if federal law is the rule, or if state law is the rule. I only say that because there are times where, depending on when one or the other was written, state may trump federal and vice versa.

14. Wrong

You’re a bird lawyer now?