PT handler-Ground vs express?

applied online for both as PT package handler in CA and are on the same shift. if i do get the offer from both, which one should i take? for the job description: ground(8mins drives) pays about $11/hr with three raises w/in 6 months, help with tuition, etc... for Express(25mins), pays $13/hr but no mention of any benefits.

edited: oh yeah, hello fellows! i am happy to be here. always want to be package handler because decent pay and perfect shift for a college student.

Hate 150lb Packages

Try for UPS. Package handler is a similar setup there with crappy pay, but they provide benefits. Here's the REAL benefit... if college doesn't pan out, you have your foot in the door to get in line as a driver. UPS drivers make more than a substantial amount of college educated professionals. Package handler for FedEx is not bad for your setup though. I'd take Express, as it is marginally better than Ground at the PH level I'd assume. I think it also has benefits, might be wrong.

Maui

I would choose Express. Benefits are the same as FT, except LTD and there is a 90 wait for insurance.

If you are going to earn your degree and move on to another then stick with Express. PH is no stress and as a PT you can not be forced to work outside your scheduled hours. You also receive guaranteed pay of 17.5 hours. If you MIGHT try to make a career out of this, then I would look for an opportunity to work for brown. The pay and benefits are double to triple what you would receive at any FedEx opco.

Try for UPS. Package handler is a similar setup there with crappy pay, but they provide benefits. Here's the REAL benefit... if college doesn't pan out, you have your foot in the door to get in line as a driver. UPS drivers make more than a substantial amount of college educated professionals. Package handler for FedEx is not bad for your setup though. I'd take Express, as it is marginally better than Ground at the PH level I'd assume. I think it also has benefits, might be wrong.
i understand that UPS is much better choice as a long term but low paid at beginning like a bit higher than minimal wage for years. just need decent money while going to college. i understand i most likely get paid less with a college degree than UPS driver which salary around 70K. but it better to do what you like rather than high paid with no passion. hopefully i get the job offer because i really am want the job.

dezguy

You should still get bi annual raises as a PT package handler with Express, that is until you hit job rate and then it goes to annual raises. As another poster said, after 90 days with express you'll get benefits, so if you aren't already covered under your parents, Express may be your best bet.

one other thing. for express, they asked me for 10 years residency but cant really remember well so i just guess. i know i have two new residency with my parent and still do. how can they check if im really live there or not?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
one other thing. for express, they asked me for 10 years residency but cant really remember well so i just guess. i know i have two new residency with my parent and still do. how can they check if im really live there or not?
In all honesty, I don't think they really care where you used to live, but only care where you live now and your current phone number.

Sniper

Years ago Express had a tuition reimbursement program which I used to pick up 33 grad hours. I don't know if that is still the case but I would sure look into that before deciding. College is much more expensive today that it was back in the day. Good luck.

Years ago Express had a tuition reimbursement program which I used to pick up 33 grad hours. I don't know if that is still the case but I would sure look into that before deciding. College is much more expensive today that it was back in the day. Good luck.
thx! got interview tomorrow from the ground. funny thing is guy over the phone said it from home delivery so i did google map the fedex ground and it does says Home Delivery on their main office. its a seasonal job. i still dont know about the express one. really want PT. well... one step at a time now.

edited: i rarely see this location hiring. very small chance get permanent PT package handler even though i heard high turnover; i guess people here are hardcore.

Last edited:

STFXG

thx! got interview tomorrow from the ground. funny thing is guy over the phone said it from home delivery so i did google map the fedex ground and it does says Home Delivery on their main office. its a seasonal job. i still dont know about the express one. really want PT. well... one step at a time now.

edited: i rarely see this location hiring. very small chance get permanent PT package handler even though i heard high turnover; i guess people here are hardcore.

Ground is the parent company for Home Delivery. It might be just a Home Delivery building. The reason PH's stay at HD is because it's simple. They place packages on a pallet. They don't even load trucks.

At Ground, tuition reimbursement used to be $1 for every hour worked. So almost $20 a week. Not sure if it's changed. Been a lot of years since I heard anything about it.

just came back from interview, well more like job overview, everything seem went smoothly. 11.15 as posted online but HR told me 10.80 for the job and hiring start around the 22nd. Great, more waiting! if you dont mind, can someone answer top question?

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
unless things have changed, last I knew it was strictly verboten to work for two opcos at the same time.

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

Double jeopardy? It's unloading squares and rectangles from a truck, not splitting the atom. Work at both until they find out and fire you, which is a small likelihood in a big city. Then just don't list them in your work history. Then again, maybe Im not the greatest influence.

dezguy

Double jeopardy? It's unloading squares and rectangles from a truck, not splitting the atom. Work at both until they find out and fire you, which is a small likelihood in a big city. Then just don't list them in your work history. Then again, maybe Im not the greatest influence.

I knew a CSR at another station that worked for Express and Trade networks for YEARS before anything was done about it. Both managers at the station knew about it but turned a blind eye. Then one day she was told she had to choose between Express and Trade networks. She chose Express and was given a FT position without it being posted on the JCA. I'm still trying to figure that one out....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I knew a CSR at another station that worked for Express and Trade networks for YEARS before anything was done about it. Both managers at the station knew about it but turned a blind eye. Then one day she was told she had to choose between Express and Trade networks. She chose Express and was given a FT position without it being posted on the JCA. I'm still trying to figure that one out....

See my post about Individual Consideration, and then read Sniper's response(s). We're all equal here at FedEx, except when you're blowing the boss, or otherwise setting yourself up for favoritism, which, of course, doesn't exist at FedEx.

See my post about Individual Consideration, and then read Sniper's response(s). We're all equal here at FedEx, except when you're blowing the boss, or otherwise setting yourself up for favoritism, which, of course, doesn't exist at FedEx.
agreed just learn it all about seniority. even for a seasonal handler,the one i am applied for, want to become a permanent PT position, you still in the wait list by order regardless based on your performance during your service time. well i guess i take whoever come first.

I interviewed at Express and Ground. Ground offered lower pay with no benefits and worse hours (3-8 AM or something like that). I chose Express. I get paid a few dollars/hour more than Ground offered, full benefits, tuition reimbursement. And no you can't work for both companies. I was told that in the interview for Ground. And I like the hours a lot more at Express.