PT package handler, becoming a driver question.

Brickitup

What's up all! New to the forum. I'm a PT belt loader and I'd like to become a driver. Here's the question: I know you can't have a DWI on your record, but I can't find any information out there if having a reckless driving incident on your record disqualifies you as well. Does anybody have a definitive answer? And, before I get flammed...this was before I joined UPS or even thought about working as a driver. Thank you all so much, and stay safe out there!

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
What's up all! New to the forum. I'm a PT belt loader and I'd like to become a driver. Here's the question: I know you can't have a DWI on your record, but I can't find any information out there if having a reckless driving incident on your record disqualifies you as well. Does anybody have a definitive answer? And, before I get flammed...this was before I joined UPS or even thought about working as a driver. Thank you all so much, and stay safe out there!
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

Where I'm at a DUI or wreck less driving disqualifies you for 3 years

Brickitup

Where I'm at a DUI or wreck less driving disqualifies you for 3 years

Thanks so much!!! I was having the do you want to be a driver or a PT sup talk....I do have another job, but would leave it in a heartbeat to drive. I've got 2 more years to go then....I don't really want to ask HR in case it raises a red flag or anything like that.

-Brick

Ghost in the Darkness

If points on your license, that can be a problem. If your license is clean then you are prbly good to go, HR would have more specifics if you had violations that could restrict you for a period of time

Brickitup

I want to know more about this reckless driving incident.
I was walking!
This is good info anyway.... My friend got into an argument with a clerk at a gas station, we had a few beers. As I was walking outside, while my friend was being an idiot, the cops came... and rightfully so.

The clerk had zero issues with me, but since I was there the police wanted to check me out as well. I passed 2 out of 3 physical tests, but failed the breathalyzer. I got hit with a DUI eventhough i wasn't driving at the time. I plead it down to a reckless so I wouldn't lose my license. And, at the time, that worked for me.

Key take away, is that in NY State, you can get a DWI even if you're not driving... you just have to be near your car and its obvious that you drove to that point. If anything, I hope that is helpful to some.

Brickitup

If points on your license, that can be a problem. If your license is clean then you are prbly good to go, HR would have more specifics if you had violations that could restrict you for a period of time
Interestingly, the points dropped off...i was an out of state license holder...but, I'm sure the charge is on my record. Thanks for the info!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not a NY State resident, but it did happen in NY...im pretty sure it's on my abstract, but never checked...thanks for reminding me to check!

That would depend upon whether your home state and NY exchange information. Years ago I was pulled over for speeding on the Mass Pike. Back then MA and NY did not exchange info and it never went on my license.

If there are no points on your license I doubt that the violation is on there.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
If the cops didn't see you driving not sure how they could give you a DUI.

Unless you were stupid and admitted to driving.

Don't listen to anything @UpstateNYUPSer says.

He never worked at UPS.

Unless you count being under the Center manager's desk.

Last edited:

Brickitup

That would depend upon whether your home state and NY exchange information. Years ago I was pulled over for speeding on the Mass Pike. Back then MA and NY did not exchange info and it never went on my license.

If there are no points on your license I doubt that the violation is on there.
The points dropped off, but a reckless is a misdemeanor...if I would have plead to a DWAI (I think only NY state has this), no record but lose license for 3 months...and at that time I was driving to Long Island pretty frequently for work....so at the time, that was the best option.

Brickitup

If the cops didn't see you driving not sure how they could give you a DUI.

Unless you were stupid and admitted to driving.

Don't listen to anything @UpstateNYUPSer says.

He never worked at UPS.

Unless you count being under the Center manager's desk.

Yea, I was stupid.... didn't think I wouldn't pass the breathalyzer.

And, its a NY State thing.... they can give you a DWI even if they did not see you driving.

Yolo

Thanks so much!!! I was having the do you want to be a driver or a PT sup talk....I do have another job, but would leave it in a heartbeat to drive. I've got 2 more years to go then....I don't really want to ask HR in case it raises a red flag or anything like that.

-Brick

DO NOT BECOME A PT SUP!

That is literally the lowest position in the company .