PT package handler questions

Oskarismyname

I'm starting as a package handler on Monday doing the evening shift. I'm a male college student , 6'1 180. What should I expect on my first day? Is the work really as difficult and exhausting as they say? And is the pay worth it? Thx

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm starting as a package handler on Monday doing the evening shift. I'm a male college student , 6'1 180. What should I expect on my first day? Is the work really as difficult and exhausting as they say? And is the pay worth it? Thx
Women work at UPS. Just remember if you can't cut it, there are little old ladies who can.

AutoZone

BrownPower
You will hurt... You will sweat.. You will regret it.. If you're working at UPS for the money for a short period, you can make more flipping burgers.. And do a lot less work and stress.. Now if it's your career goal, it'll be worth it all in the end. It is about 80%mental... No matter how physical the job is, is mostly mental and your brain is going to tell you to quit every night... But if your driven you just gotta keep saying GO.. and keep working till they tell you to go home.

You will hurt... You will sweat.. You will regret it.. If you're working at UPS for the money for a short period, you can make more flipping burgers.. And do a lot less work and stress.. Now if it's your career goal, it'll be worth it all in the end. It is about 80%mental... No matter how physical the job is, is mostly mental and your brain is going to tell you to quit every night... But if your driven you just gotta keep saying GO.. and keep working till they tell you to go home.
I'm everything you just said. I hope it does pay off in the end.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'm everything you just said. I hope it does pay off in the end.
Just keep going... Quick little story about me... I worked 4 1/2 years... Full time job changed and didn't work with the hours at UPS.. I unfortunately had to quit, not knowing within the next 3 months I would've been called to drive.. Found out a few months back when I ran into a guy I use to work with in the load all those years that is driving now that I had more senoity then. He said he got the call 3 months after I quit back in 2011... So I'm assuming I'd of been called well before him... Needless to say I left and recently came back.. Starting from the bottom again.. Don't be like me.. You'll regret it.. Just keep pushing.. And ignore the entitled jerks on this app that talk garbage trying to get you down. Push thru.. Good luck!!

km3

Is the pay worth it? Not by a long shot. If your local economy is like mine, you could find a job that pays $2-3 more per hour for far less demanding work. The benefits, however, are worth it...if you can stick around for a year. And as a college student, you might like the hours that UPS offers -- Twilight, Midnight, and Sunrise shifts are great for students. That's why I came to work here.

The issue for you is that you're probably seasonal, but depending on your building's staffing situation, you may be able to stay on after peak. Just ask your supervisor about it. Management in my building will keep literally anyone who shows up, works as directed, and can pull 190 packages per hour (they try to scare you by saying you need 300 PPH, but the average in my building is about 240).

Your height and weight aren't going to matter too much. It's a super physical job, but it's equally as mental. Not in the sense that you need to think while working, but in the sense that you need the willpower to show up every day. And in your first few weeks, there may well be days when you seriously consider just walking out. I thought about quitting every day for the first 3 weeks here. I'm at 6 months now, and it never crosses my mind anymore.

Good luck.

Oskarismyname

college student starting PT package handler job soon. Will I be able to come back home at all during the holidays for more than a weekend or do pt package handlers work all thru Dec and January? Not a big issue, just wondering.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
college student starting PT package handler job soon. Will I be able to come back home at all during the holidays for more than a weekend or do pt package handlers work all thru Dec and January? Not a big issue, just wondering.
No...you are special. You're allowed to not show up to work every Monday and Friday during Christmas.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will get very little time off in December. The calendar is in our favor this year in that Christmas is on a Friday and NYE and NYD are on Thursday and Friday, respectively. There are no pickups on Christmas Eve so if you are working one of the afternoon shifts there is a good chance that you won't have to work and could head home that day.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
So, you are accepting a seasonal job and wondering how much time off you might get, before you even start working? Ahhh...what a work ethic.