PT shift transfer

HardknocksUPSer

How does this work and what must one do to make this possible? Any certain requirements in order to make the shift transfer? Would like to know for future reference, thanks.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You just talk to the FT sup and if there is an opening, you can usually get it, unless it screws your sort. I know you've said in the past you're in a small building. Just be warned local sort is usually a lot less hours than preload. Preloaders in my building average 4.5-5 hours a day. Local sorters do 3-4.

HardknocksUPSer

You just talk to the FT sup and if there is an opening, you can usually get it, unless it screws your sort. I know you've said in the past you're in a small building. Just be warned local sort is usually a lot less hours than preload. Preloaders in my building average 4.5-5 hours a day. Local sorters do 3-4.
yes I'm in a small center, and I understand the difference in the hours, I don't want to change shifts and may never have to, just wanted to know for future reference, my sups worse than a drill Sargent! If I do however decide to try it sometime, I'll wait till there's new hires available.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
yes I'm in a small center, and I understand the difference in the hours, I don't want to change shifts and may never have to, just wanted to know for future reference, my sups worse than a drill Sargent! If I do however decide to try it sometime, I'll wait till there's new hires available.
I'm not sure how it is in your center, but in mine it's usually easier to go from Local Sort to preload rather than the other way around. The would chop off my hand and give it to preload before they let their production be affected.

HardknocksUPSer

I'm not sure how it is in your center, but in mine it's usually easier to go from Local Sort to preload rather than the other way around. The would chop off my hand and give it to preload before they let their production be affected.
Yes, preload is WAY more intense than local sort at my center, if anything I'll tell my sup I'm going to local sort if she tries to screw with me, the local sort sups want me and I mentioned it to her before and she immediately valued what I bring to the preload more after she thought I was leaving the morning shift. However I will also consider changing shifts after I attain more seniority if possible, I don't want my body beat to pieces before I ever drive.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yes, preload is WAY more intense than local sort at my center, if anything I'll tell my sup I'm going to local sort if she tries to screw with me, the local sort sups want me and I mentioned it to her before and she immediately valued what I bring to the preload more after she thought I was leaving the morning shift. However I will also consider changing shifts after I attain more seniority if possible, I don't want my body beat to pieces before I ever drive.
If it's anything like our local sort. The sort is more intense. But the sort itself is short. The rest of the night is prepping for preload.

CalebN

Talk to HR about it, not the supervisor. If you do change shifts there is a 6 month minimum that you must be on the other shift before changing back. So if it really sucks and you don't like it, tough luck.

blkmamba

I guess it would depend on the hub. Local sort at my old hub was between 5-6 hours a day where preload was 3-4.

blkmamba

There is paperwork you have to fill out (at least in my hub) and I had to get my current full timer to sign off on my shift change. He did it pretty easily as I needed it for school reasons. Once you switch, you lose your seniority and start at the bottom (except for pay, vacations, etc). I had almost two years on preload before switching and was below people who had as little as 3 weeks on the job so if your going to transfer do it sooner rather than later.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is paperwork you have to fill out (at least in my hub) and I had to get my current full timer to sign off on my shift change. He did it pretty easily as I needed it for school reasons. Once you switch, you lose your seniority and start at the bottom (except for pay, vacations, etc). I had almost two years on preload before switching and was below people who had as little as 3 weeks on the job so if your going to transfer do it sooner rather than later.

You have separate PT seniority lists?