PT Sup asked me to start early.

sly

My PT sup has told me he wants me to start a little bit earlier to get the trailers set up. He will adjust my start time. But I was wondering if I actually have to do this. I guess I could not get there until my actual start time.

BrownTexas

If you don't want to do it, you can always use your seniority to not do the extra work. Just tell him someone under you and say you want them to do it.

Stone

My PT sup has told me he wants me to start a little bit earlier to get the trailers set up. He will adjust my start time. But I was wondering if I actually have to do this. I guess I could not get there until my actual start time.

First off let me start by saying CONGRATULATIONS. Apparently your sup and management think you are a good worker and entrusted you with this task. I have been in this position and they only, in most cases, allow 10 to 15 minutes before start time for setup purposes. If you decide to do this please do yourself a favor; KEEP TRACK OF ALL TIME WORKED. The old adage comes to mind here, "An honest days work for an honest days pay." Write down all your times an keep a working log of total time for the days you work. Make sure they see you do this and they will not try to cheat you on time because they know your keeping track. Management should be able to adjust your time in the system so that when you clock in it will show your 15 minute early start time, or the start time with the 15 minutes added.
Secondly, if you feel you can not do this, i.e. "I guess I could not get there until my actual start time", then don't agree or volunteer to do it. Management really dislikes when someone agrees to something and then don't or can't follow through with agreed upon terms. It is up to you on if you want to do this, however if you feel you can't, then I wouldn't do it. You could always say to offer it to someone else that is as deserving or more deserving of the task. Makes you look really good that way and possible future supervisory material, if that is what you are shooting for.

tcd man

First off let me start by saying CONGRATULATIONS. Apparently your sup and management think you are a good worker and entrusted you with this task. I have been in this position and they only, in most cases, allow 10 to 15 minutes before start time for setup purposes. If you decide to do this please do yourself a favor; KEEP TRACK OF ALL TIME WORKED. The old adage comes to mind here, "An honest days work for an honest days pay." Write down all your times an keep a working log of total time for the days you work. Make sure they see you do this and they will not try to cheat you on time because they know your keeping track. Management should be able to adjust your time in the system so that when you clock in it will show your 15 minute early start time, or the start time OK k monitorywith the 15 minutes added.
Secondly, if you feel you can not do this, i.e. "I guess I could not get there until my actual start time", then don't agree or volunteer to do it. Manage many things try to my ugjijvb

Kkk really dislikes when someone agrees to something and then don't or can't follow through with agreed upon terms. It is up to you on if you want to do this, however if you feel you can't, then I wouldn't do it. You could always say to offer it to someone else that is as deserving or more deserving of the task. Makes you look really good that way and possible future supervisory material, if that is what you are shooting for.
If you don't want to do it, you can always use your seniority to not do the extra work. Just tell him someone undKkkjjjyou and say you want them to do it.
Gjgjñ in unto

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Doing setup work is a pretty easy way to ladle 1 1/2 - 2 hours/week of straight gravy onto your slim PT paycheck, not even including the additional OT. The only reason not to do it would be having an additional job/family responsibilities.

browner89

You don't have to do it unless this is your official start time. If you are showing up before you're scheduled to work then you are in charge basically. If they schedule you 15 minutes before everyone else and tell you to do this then you probably don't have a leg to stand on to fight it.

You sound like you don't want it, either show up at your start time if you're not confrontational or simply say no until they force you to do it, which not all management crews will do, despite popular belief on this forum, some management teams ARE human.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
If you don't want to do it then don't do it. Just tell them. If they try to force you to do it, and you have seniority then just do a really crappy job until they get someone else to do it.

Box Ox

Just say no if you don't want to do it. And keep saying no until the sup lets it go. It's not part of your job. Like drivers, you don't owe him/her an excuse or anything outside of your official start time. But like Stone said, don't leave management hanging if you've said yes or been unclear.