Jvoorhees1984

Hello all,
I’ve been working the preload for roughly 3 months and one of the what seem like endless ‘bosses’ that I have has been riding me like a race horse since I started. He’s demeaning, condescending, rude and just doesn’t know how to speak to people. I’m never late, do what is asked and bust my ass to complete my assigned task. I finally had enough today and complained to the full time sup. He and the shop steward both agreed with me and told me they would handle the problem. My question is why does every ‘boss’ at this job have some sort of secret agenda or axe to grind when it comes to its employees? Shouldn’t they be helping instead of running them off and pushing them out the door?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hello all,
I’ve been working the preload for roughly 3 months and one of the what seem like endless ‘bosses’ that I have has been riding me like a race horse since I started. He’s demeaning, condescending, rude and just doesn’t know how to speak to people. I’m never late, do what is asked and bust my ass to complete my assigned task. I finally had enough today and complained to the full time sup. He and the shop steward both agreed with me and told me they would handle the problem. My question is why does every ‘boss’ at this job have some sort of secret agenda or axe to grind when it comes to its employees? Shouldn’t they be helping instead of running them off and pushing them out the door?
That’s just how it is here. Learn to ignore the unimportant stuff, and learn to like the important stuff, like 401k, pension, and benefits.

Hello all,
Too some extent this is just how the UPS PT SUPs are taught to act. You will find similar behavior is reported on by people who work at UPS facilities all over the country, but it is not quite the same at other companies you work at.

They are taught to constantly push the employee to higher and higher numbers. My SUP tried convincing me I would be fired, yet another one told me the next day "we don't want you to quit". Its an endless head game and probably will be for as long as we work here.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Hello all,
The sup is a arse whole!

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Most of it is down to every part of management making a moderate attempt at meeting numbers that make no damn sense. Not one sup in particular is evil around here, but the structure that is set up is basically what leads to these things.

Preload is the biggest corporate punching bag because the top has been led to believe by their IE team that scanning beacons (and crayons) would maintain or even boost how quickly and accurately cars can get loaded. Doing everything correctly would then be 'too slow' and doing everything without giving a damn about scanning or writing on boxes or even reading pals would be 'against methods'. The second of these two options can get you fired so you really just have to drown out the noise and work as quickly as you actually can with the dumbest methods this planet has concieved.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Most of it is down to every part of management making a moderate attempt at meeting numbers that make no damn sense. Not one sup in particular is evil around here, but the structure that is set up is basically what leads to these things.

Preload is the biggest corporate punching bag because the top has been led to believe by their IE team that scanning beacons (and crayons) would maintain or even boost how quickly and accurately cars can get loaded. Doing everything correctly would then be 'too slow' and doing everything without giving a damn about scanning or writing on boxes or even reading pals would be 'against methods'. The second of these two options can get you fired so you really just have to drown out the noise and work as quickly as you actually can with the dumbest methods this planet has concieved.
nobody in IE thinks using crayons or smart-scan is faster

we just think it’s better and worth the loss in preload PPH

Big Babooba

When a supervisor speaks to you in a way that you describe, stop working and listen to them. After all, multitasking can be unsafe. If the supervisor goes into a tirade for 5 minutes, you will not be working for 5 minutes. They can be quite amusing to watch when they get angry enough that their ears turn red. Just remember to stay back because they are about to blow.

4evapreloader

nobody in IE thinks using crayons or smart-scan is faster

we just think it’s better and worth the loss in preload PPH

Wrong. UPS loves to use a one size fits all solution for any and every problem. Right now my building is production crazy. Please, please use crayons when the bigwigs walk around. I would have to be insane to actually use crayons.

Do you think management could actually focus on the people responsible for 75% of the misleads? No. Lets make people who have zero misloads jump through stupid hoops for no valid reason whatsoever. I hated crayons in the 90's. I completely despise them today.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My question is why does every ‘boss’ at this job have some sort of secret agenda or axe to grind when it comes to its employees?

28058928_1569033653144410_3782431742140046262_n.jpg

dudebro

Wrong. UPS loves to use a one size fits all solution for any and every problem. Right now my building is production crazy. Please, please use crayons when the bigwigs walk around. I would have to be insane to actually use crayons.

Do you think management could actually focus on the people responsible for 75% of the misleads? No. Lets make people who have zero misloads jump through stupid hoops for no valid reason whatsoever. I hated crayons in the 90's. I completely despise them today.

From an IE standpoint crayons are stupid. You're either reading the package or youre not. And the beacons save misloads, not increase pph. Crayons are an ops team invention to look like theyre focused on misloads. The data don't support crayons, but politics and optics do.

upschuck

From an IE standpoint crayons are stupid. You're either reading the package or youre not. And the beacons save misloads, not increase pph. Crayons are an ops team invention to look like theyre focused on misloads. The data don't support crayons, but politics and optics do.
The crayons/markers are more for the driver, so they can find a package faster.