PT Sup going into FT driving?

Marilyn

I'm new here, so first and foremost hello!

I'm currently a PT sup, and I've been a PT sup for about 2 years now, was a preloader at first for a few months then was moved into supervision. This December would make me being a PT Sup for 2 years but just recently in January I received an email about any PT sups interested in being FT drivers.

I'm interested given that this would be an opportunity for me to make more money within the company, also my HR manager and warehouse manager has already approved my letter of intent and now all they are waiting for is my district manager's approval.. so I am pretty much in there, but am having reservations about taking this job now given what I've heard...

2 things, being that I am not with the union, I've been told that if I do not 'make it' within my 30 day probational period as a driver, I will lose my job completely with UPS.

And the other thing I've heard that any little thing that I do 'wrong' with UPS can also put my job in jeopardy... I am not afraid of work and often I work my butt off.. I've had many grievances written against me that's how much I work.

My question is though, given the circumstances, would it be in my best interest for me to take this FT driving opportunity? Or would I be better off just staying in supervision and waiting it out? I'm very impatient.. and ready to make more money I just would prefer not to lose my job.

upschuck

You just have to ask yourself if the risk is worth the reward. If they higher ups like you, and you do not make driver, they will more than likely take you back.

The last PT sup here, they had him right up to 29 days, then brought him back into pt management side.

clean hairy

Stay where you are and go into full time management.
According to a former driver turned full time management, you start out making as much as a driver, you get to come in late and leave early.
And, you only work 8 hours a day according to him.

jbg77

Kind of disappointing considering I've busted my tail loading, unloading, sorting, and cover driving and working a ft job and I can be leapfrogged this way? BS in my opinion! No advice for you here, sorry. I intend to be bitter for the remainder of the day and drink heavily tonight.

Retiree

Just because she got an email about going driving doesn't mean she is automatically going driving. That email goes out every January to all part time sups and non Union admin so the Company can identify a pool of candidates for the one position that can go driving after six inside hires go.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
According to a former driver turned full time management, you start out making as much as a driver, you get to come in late and leave early.
Notice he doesn't post much??

Must have to work more than he thought

Mst3k

Go full time driver, it'll give the inside employees a good chance to file a grievance. We already have 10 outside hires in my hub and I'll be damned if a supervisor joins them.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I'm currently a PT sup, and I've been a PT sup for about 2 years now, was a preloader at first for a few months then was moved into supervision. This December would make me being a PT Sup for 2 years but just recently in January I received an email about any PT sups interested in being FT drivers.

I'm interested given that this would be an opportunity for me to make more money within the company, also my HR manager and warehouse manager has already approved my letter of intent and now all they are waiting for is my district manager's approval.. so I am pretty much in there, but am having reservations about taking this job now given what I've heard...

2 things, being that I am not with the union, I've been told that if I do not 'make it' within my 30 day probational period as a driver, I will lose my job completely with UPS.

And the other thing I've heard that any little thing that I do 'wrong' with UPS can also put my job in jeopardy... I am not afraid of work and often I work my butt off.. I've had many grievances written against me that's how much I work.

My question is though, given the circumstances, would it be in my best interest for me to take this FT driving opportunity? Or would I be better off just staying in supervision and waiting it out? I'm very impatient.. and ready to make more money I just would prefer not to lose my job.

We hourlies used to get letters from upper mgmt all the time suggesting that we move up into mgmt too. I can't recall any that took the bait that kept that job either. There's a risk either way.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If I had to guess that's what this letter of intent is.

Ft driver sup.

Box Ox

We hourlies used to get letters from upper mgmt all the time suggesting that we move up into mgmt too. I can't recall any that took the bait that kept that job either. There's a risk either way.

I've seen plenty of hourlies fall for it and regret it. Few who got out and went driving do as long as they could make the cut.

El Correcto

god is dead

From what I've seen in my hub, they are really understanding about people who go from management to ft driving. They are more lenient with them and give them paper routes for training. I'd say go for it if you have busted your ass for your center and are well liked personally. It'll be a big step up from kindergarten cop to thousand+ a week.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
We have a big building and I have only seen one pt sup go into full time driving. Been driving for almost a decade now. His reward was worth the risk. Good luck.

ManInBrown

We had a PT sup who drove during peak to try to become an on-car. Got into an accident. Got kicked back to preload for 1 year. Now a PT sup again. I don't think you lose your job

PT Car Washer

We had a PT sup who drove during peak to try to become an on-car. Got into an accident. Got kicked back to preload for 1 year. Now a PT sup again. I don't think you lose your job
Last Peak a PT sup driving Seasonal ran into the overhead door before it was fully opened. Ended his driving career but he went back to PT sup.