PT Sup to Driver

birdcar

I started last year as a driver helper for peak, got hired as the Local Sort Supervisor right after, and was just offered the opportunity to become an "outside hire" driver. I never considered driving, honestly. I love my job as a sup. I'm a married 28 year old female, and I've been waiting for the right time to have kids, and I feel that where I am now would have been perfect. But for the pay and benefits, I can certainly wait. If I take the offer, my understanding is that I can't go back if it doesn't work out, meaning I could lose everything.
Part of me is very worried; will I have the stamina, am I a good enough driver, will I be able to figure out my routes without having a meltdown, will I miss being in the chair force, will I be able to juggle starting a family with such a time demanding job. The other half of me is willing to do whatever it takes to make it, the more I think about driving, the more I want it.
I have to give my answer soon, I would really appreciate any opinions and/or advice, thank you.

Box Ox

Job isn't getting any better. It's peak year round. Company doesn't care anymore. If you like where you're at, your body feels good, and you want to start a family within 10 years.....sacrificing some or all of that doesn't outweigh extra money and benefits you'd make as a driver.

And another big thing: If things continue to get worse with the company, or you just want to move on to something else, you're gonna have an easier time doing it transitioning from a supervisory role than a driver role. There's little to no lateral skills/resume transfer from the role of a FT UPS driver to an equivalently paying job somewhere else.

birdcar

Job isn't getting any better. It's peak year round. Company doesn't care anymore. If you like where you're at, your body feels good, and you want to start a family within 10 years.....sacrificing some or all of that doesn't outweigh extra money and benefits you'd make as a driver.

And another big thing: If things continue to get worse with the company, or you just want to move on to something else, you're gonna have an easier time doing it transitioning from a supervisory role than a driver role. There's little to no lateral skills/resume transfer from the role of a FT UPS driver to an equivalently paying job somewhere else.
Thank you so much for your reply and insight, put a lot more on the table to digest. I get what you mean by peak year round, I haven't been in for long but I hear about the better days.. It's sad to think it could get worse. I feel like I may be throwing away a huge opportunity, but if I take it it'll either be the best or the worst thing to happen to me. Im going to sleep on it, but I think my gut seems to be telling me to stay where I'm at. Thank you again for your time!

DOK

I started last year as a driver helper for peak, got hired as the Local Sort Supervisor right after, and was just offered the opportunity to become an "outside hire" driver. I never considered driving, honestly. I love my job as a sup. I'm a married 28 year old female, and I've been waiting for the right time to have kids, and I feel that where I am now would have been perfect. But for the pay and benefits, I can certainly wait. If I take the offer, my understanding is that I can't go back if it doesn't work out, meaning I could lose everything.
Part of me is very worried; will I have the stamina, am I a good enough driver, will I be able to figure out my routes without having a meltdown, will I miss being in the chair force, will I be able to juggle starting a family with such a time demanding job. The other half of me is willing to do whatever it takes to make it, the more I think about driving, the more I want it.
I have to give my answer soon, I would really appreciate any opinions and/or advice, thank you.

This opportunity comes around once in a lifetime, sup to outside driver hire, do it and don't look back! That is, if you want more money and benefits. Money isn't everything they say though...

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Go driving and how you going to make sammichies for the kiddies?

If you are going to have puppies, make sure Dad can take off at will. Somebody has to be home and if you are driving it won't be you. How far is the commute? Look at what we consider getting home early, 7:45, for example.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
it is good opputunity, but you got to understand after peak they might not use you everyday, so you have to factor that in.

DRporch

things to consider, do you want to not be appreciated for anything you do? bbecome a driver.
do you want everything that happens to become your fault? become a driver
do you want to deal with :censored2:ty loaders who easily can add hrs to your day? become a driver
do you want to be lifting 130lb boxes? become a driver
most of all becoming a driver means 8-13hrs a day in driving. everyday is different you will NEVER have a set time you leave. and if you're done early you're helping someone else.. something huge to consider if you want a family/ i also see the job to be extremely hard for a pregnant female. i wouldn't know though never been one

my buddy stayed in mangment and after he got is degree went to a big manager in preload and now is in FT mangment

Nike

do it, you'll have a leg up on many others, most ups hubs are desperate for part time sups you can always go back to that if you want