PT Supervisor Position?

I've read a lot of topics on here about how in the long run it's better to stay with the union because the raises are better.

Now, I'm a relatively new hire, I've been working for about three weeks now. I know at my facility that there is a need for supervisors and my training supervisor recommended I should apply. I'm currently a sorter. Now, if I planned on making UPS a career I'd definitely stay union. And honestly I like the union. But I plan on going to grad school out of state and I'd eventually like to teach. I'll probably stay with UPS for maybe 2 years? But one thing I like about the union is the job security. What would you all recommend? Is the PT supervisor position not even worth it? Plus I know you have to pay for health insurance on your own and stuff, so is the raise not even worth it? I know it's a thankless job and such and I do not care about that. I do my work well and I enjoy working for the company.

Thanks in advance. I'm actually heading to my shift soon so I'll respond if there are responses when I get home later.

UPS4Life

Being a part time sup is basically a part time hourly you just get paid more.

If your plan is to quit in two years Id suggest being a sup. A little easier work and get paid a little more.

If at some point you decide your plans change and you're going to make ups a career, do yourself a favor and quit lol

jbg77

P/t sup is the worst job. All of the blame and none of the glory. Dont get paid much more than us part timers. You get bitched at by us and upper management. There is also a reason that they offer it to green horns. All that being said, if you have a degree or going to school not an entirely bad idea.

UPSGUY72

I've read a lot of topics on here about how in the long run it's better to stay with the union because the raises are better.

Now, I'm a relatively new hire, I've been working for about three weeks now. I know at my facility that there is a need for supervisors and my training supervisor recommended I should apply. I'm currently a sorter. Now, if I planned on making UPS a career I'd definitely stay union. And honestly I like the union. But I plan on going to grad school out of state and I'd eventually like to teach. I'll probably stay with UPS for maybe 2 years? But one thing I like about the union is the job security. What would you all recommend? Is the PT supervisor position not even worth it? Plus I know you have to pay for health insurance on your own and stuff, so is the raise not even worth it? I know it's a thankless job and such and I do not care about that. I do my work well and I enjoy working for the company.

Thanks in advance. I'm actually heading to my shift soon so I'll respond if there are responses when I get home later.

Three weeks and they are asking you to be a PT SUP. Don't you wonder why all the other PT employees that got hired before you didn't jump at the opportunity ?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you're only looking to stay here a short time it isn't a bad position. I honestly do like the job. The critical thinking nature of it is fun to me. But it isn't for everybody. When you clock out that isn't it. You're probably going to text back and forth with other sups about certain things. I'm on vacation this week and I've already gotten several calls with questions. That sucks, but it is what it is.

Your best bet is to go into the Partners forum as there are several threads on the subject already. There is some really good information in there already. PM me if you have any questions you can't find answers to

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
If you're only looking to stay here a short time it isn't a bad position. I honestly do like the job. The critical thinking nature of it is fun to me. But it isn't for everybody. When you clock out that isn't it. You're probably going to text back and forth with other sups about certain things. I'm on vacation this week and I've already gotten several calls with questions. That sucks, but it is what it is.

Your best bet is to go into the Partners forum as there are several threads on the subject already. There is some really good information in there already. PM me if you have any questions you can't find answers to

Get. Off. The. Interwebz!!!

(And back on the beach, D*.)

3 weeks in and they have you sorting? Sorting what exactly? That's what I'm more curious about.

In the sort aisle, like matching the packages to the correct zip codes from the unloaders. I honestly thought that wasn't offered until after 30 days. But they told me that is what I'd be doing so I studied like crazy for the sort test and passed it on my second day sorting. I'm still learning some of the local exceptions and such but I mostly got it down.

From the advice I might go for the sup position but I really like being in the sort aisle and quite honestly I have a lot more respect for the union guys than the PT sups. There is two sups that I think do a really good job and help out when they should/can. Most of them don't do anything. Like tonight one of them was flirting with one of his coworkers when two other sorters went to the head and the belts got jammed. He just stared at us and said we should be able to handle two unloaders (unloading two separate trucks) at a time. One of the union guys stood up for me and another guy and told him he needed to pay attention to the belt. The union guys have also been doing this a lot longer. And the money isn't bad at all for what I currently do. Eleven an hour is really good for the work I do. And the union dues aren't that much weekly.

PT Car Washer

In the sort aisle, like matching the packages to the correct zip codes from the unloaders. I honestly thought that wasn't offered until after 30 days. But they told me that is what I'd be doing so I studied like crazy for the sort test and passed it on my second day sorting. I'm still learning some of the local exceptions and such but I mostly got it down.

From the advice I might go for the sup position but I really like being in the sort aisle and quite honestly I have a lot more respect for the union guys than the PT sups. There is two sups that I think do a really good job and help out when they should/can. Most of them don't do anything. Like tonight one of them was flirting with one of his coworkers when two other sorters went to the head and the belts got jammed. He just stared at us and said we should be able to handle two unloaders (unloading two separate trucks) at a time. One of the union guys stood up for me and another guy and told him he needed to pay attention to the belt. The union guys have also been doing this a lot longer. And the money isn't bad at all for what I currently do. Eleven an hour is really good for the work I do. And the union dues aren't that much weekly.
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of the PT sup job. In the short run it will mean more money but also a lot more of your time. You may want to give the sorting job a bit more time before you jump into something you may later regret. The PT sup job will still be there six months from now.

oldngray

nowhere special
pictures-395.jpg

box_beeyotch

PT sups should not be touching packages period which includes breaking jams. You all should be big boys and girls, handle your union work yourself.

PT sups should not be touching packages period which includes breaking jams. You all should be big boys and girls, handle your union work yourself.

Agreed, however when there is a jam and packages are falling on union employees, the pt sups should be able to push the off switch on the belt after it is called to them three times. We didn't ask him to help, we asked him to shut the belt off because he was near a switch. He also could have been paying attention to the belts instead of flirting with a coworker.