PT Sups and Degrees

Rubber Puckies

How many PT sups are going for their degree? I've heard so many times that PT sups go nowhere within UPS and it's a horrible decision. My question is why? Do most PT sups have their degree and if not, is that what is preventing them from advancing? I'm currently going to school and this job fits perfect with my class schedule. I'm hoping that when I have my bachelors in two years I'll be able to get a full time position. If not, I'll go elsewhere as I won't wait for UPS.

Anyways, I guess I'm just wondering where the "PT sup is a dead end career" mentality came from.

RP

Gazelle

Race me!
In my building you have to be a friend of our HR manager to get promoted. You'll understand when you interview for FT positions and the least qualified guy gets it. Having a degree will get you a better job outside of UPS.

bagpipes

The biggest point of difference between UPS mgmt and similar external jobs nowadays is job security. Photog is right, but generally this job is secure (more or less depending on business unit, function, specific skills and connections/CYA) as long as you don't commit a cardinal sin.

Many other companies can't say the same.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bagpipes

P-man made an earlier post about the changes over time in the incentives for going into management from both the company level and employee perspective...

Picture a column or open-ended cylinder. On the top is senior management, middle is middle, bottom is front line. 1) Note that succession is a pull system. If no one is leaving at the top, it blocks the upward flow (and vice versa). Are external and internal factors quickening or slowing the flow out of the can? 2) Because of compensation structure, our incentives to stay and do well are in either moving up or making more $$$. In today's environment, either one requires growth. Also note that this "can" or "column" is both representative of the enterprise (macro-level), as well as a micro-level for each RR or business unit.

Food for thought.

Sent using BrownCafe App

oldngray

nowhere special
P-man made an earlier post about the changes over time in the incentives for going into management from both the company level and employee perspective...

Picture a column or open-ended cylinder. On the top is senior management, middle is middle, bottom is front line. 1) Note that succession is a pull system. If no one is leaving at the top, it blocks the upward flow (and vice versa). Are external and internal factors quickening or slowing the flow out of the can? 2) Because of compensation structure, our incentives to stay and do well are in either moving up or making more $$$. In today's environment, either one requires growth. Also note that this "can" or "column" is both representative of the enterprise (macro-level), as well as a micro-level for each RR or business unit.

Food for thought.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I always pictured it as more of a pyramid scheme.

busterbrownlady

I have a BA and have worked all over the bldg. After many years of management holding that carrot over my head I finally said screw it. Best decision I ever made.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
How many PT sups are going for their degree? I've heard so many times that PT sups go nowhere within UPS and it's a horrible decision. My question is why? Do most PT sups have their degree and if not, is that what is preventing them from advancing? I'm currently going to school and this job fits perfect with my class schedule. I'm hoping that when I have my bachelors in two years I'll be able to get a full time position. If not, I'll go elsewhere as I won't wait for UPS.

Anyways, I guess I'm just wondering where the "PT sup is a dead end career" mentality came from.

RP
In my building, we have 2 PT sups that have been here 10+ years who are still trying to get into FT management.

What does a PT sup's pay max at? I would guess $25.00/hr. Not bad for 5.5 hours a day and most times out in 4 to 5 hours. My building has many career PT sups.

hope

i came to work in the early 80's with a 4 yr degree. It took 9 yrs for me to become ft back then. I was told over and over that I was not what the company wanted because I needed a to be in school, WTF, I had just graduated with a degree. Then it was this or that until I found that one person who believed in me. Well kind of believed in me because I had to drive, as we all did back then, I drove for a yr, not 30 days. I just retired after 30 yrs and I only stayed to prove those who didn't think I had "it" wrong.
My advice to you is MOVE ON!
Reason #1 "PT sup is a dead end career" A pt sup is NOT a CAREER its a job.
It is not the same company and why kill yourself when other companies do not make you struggle for a dime.

elo

Trying to figure out where they hid the body.
I have a degree, but it was practically impossible for me to find a job in my area. I couldn't pack up and go because the husband's job is one of those that once you're in the door you're set. I am a ptPCS, so I don't have it quite so rough. I've been told by everyone that to get promoted you have to be on an operation, but I'm content with my part time hours. Although in the past 9 months I've seen 2 sups from our center get promoted. I think that's an anomaly or possibly they know where some bodies are buried.

Bottom rung

In my building, we have 2 PT sups that have been here 10+ years who are still trying to get into FT management.
Same here, if they were ever brought into full time management they would take the jobs of the current on cars and center manager. Since our building would be in shambles without the two p/t employees that pretty much fix all the screw ups. As the center manager stands behind them speechless. It's absolutely hilarious when the p/t's are on vacation, guaranteed over 10.3 hrs daily. So long story short...They'll never be promoted.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Same here, if they were ever brought into full time management they would take the jobs of the current on cars and center manager. Since our building would be in shambles without the two p/t employees that pretty much fix all the screw ups. As the center manager stands behind them speechless. It's absolutely hilarious when the p/t's are on vacation, guaranteed over 10.3 hrs daily. So long story short...They'll never be promoted.
it's the same here...useless center manager...whenever the pt sups go on vacation...we are screwed six ways from Sunday.

Kis124

We have a guy who loaded this past peak, got rehired as a part time loader in February, and just became a full time sup

Sent using BrownCafe App

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Smart=foolish?
If he is real smart, he will work at UPS for a few years and then on to the next company.
When I went into management it was a no-brainer and I never regretted that decision in any way.
Still would go into management today but with my eyes wide open and only if I had a marketable degree.
UPS ain't your Daddy anymore and consequently, no one should have any loyalty to UPS except when working for the company.
Every new hire at UPS is in a transactional relationship. Just like any other ABC corporation.

If he is real smart, he will work at UPS for a few years and then on to the next company.
When I went into management it was a no-brainer and I never regretted that decision in any way.
Still would go into management today but with my eyes wide open and only if I had a marketable degree.
UPS ain't your Daddy anymore and consequently, no one should have any loyalty to UPS except when working for the company.
Every new hire at UPS is in a transactional relationship. Just like any other ABC corporation.
Are you saying? Sups have a degree?...In stupidty??