PT Training Supervisor looking to make the jump to Operations.

newkidontheblock

Currently a PT Training Supervisor looking to run an outbound belt. Looking for advice to be as successful as possible when I do make the switch. Any and all advice, welcome!

newkidontheblock

Mostly because I am dissatisfied with my role as a trainer. I'm not sure all my qualities make for a great trainer, and so I feel like I can be doing more. I am personable, and can communicate well but I am also impatient and don't respond well to mediocrity. And so I feel like all those qualities together are better suited for operations.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Mostly because I am dissatisfied with my role as a trainer. I'm not sure all my qualities make for a great trainer, and so I feel like I can be doing more. I am personable, and can communicate well but I am also impatient and don't respond well to mediocrity. And so I feel like all those qualities together are better suited for operations.
My advice ...
Be careful what you ask for ... training is a great job if one is working their way through college, as an example.
One's goal, in this example, is to get a college degree with good grades, get a nice resume by working at UPS in a management position.

However, if one is interested in moving up the Corporate Ladder, then a move to Operations would be seen as aggressive and going for it.

Either example, it's a ballsy move that will serve you well in future endeavors (of course, the assumption is that you do well in Operations).

Good luck in your decisions and life.

dudebro

My advice ...
Be careful what you ask for ... training is a great job if one is working their way through college, as an example.
One's goal, in this example, is to get a college degree with good grades, get a nice resume by working at UPS in a management position.

However, if one is interested in moving up the Corporate Ladder, then a move to Operations would be seen as aggressive and going for it.

Either example, it's a ballsy move that will serve you well in future endeavors (of course, the assumption is that you do well in Operations).

Good luck in your decisions and life.

This.

Promotions in operations come from the ranks of operators. And forgive the language, but training / compliance is seen as a "paper bitch" job for non-hackers who don't pack the gear to operate.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This.

Promotions in operations come from the ranks of operators. And forgive the language, but training / compliance is seen as a "paper bitch" job for non-hackers who don't pack the gear to operate.
Which is why if one is working their way through college to work at a "nice" place in a "nice" job, training might be a great job.
No one outside UPS knows the difference and all UPS verifies is that the employee was employed at UPS from this date to that date.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Which is why if one is working their way through college to work at a "nice" place in a "nice" job, training might be a great job.
No one outside UPS knows the difference and all UPS verifies is that the employee was employed at UPS from this date to that date.
So what you're saying is I could say I supervised my entire time here and UPS wouldn't verify it to my new employer? Sounds like the door just opened to a whole new world of job opportunities.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So what you're saying is I could say I supervised my entire time here and UPS wouldn't verify it to my new employer?
Not unless your job was a management position.
What I was saying is that because a training supervisor and an operations supervisor are both management ... either could just put Supervisor and it would be verified as such.

dudebro

So what you're saying is I could say I supervised my entire time here and UPS wouldn't verify it to my new employer? Sounds like the door just opened to a whole new world of job opportunities.

Correct. The only thing UPS HR is allowed to say to another company is, "I can verify that Harry Balls was employed here as a loader from April 2015 to Sept 2015 and as a part time supervisor from Sept 2015 through Sept 2016."

All that other garbage I put out there was inside baseball.

Don't touch any packages, train people the RIGHT way based on what bulk stops are coming for the trucks that he or she is loading so that the person can understand the routes. These are the 2 keys to becoming a successful belt supervisor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Don't touch any packages, train people the RIGHT way based on what bulk stops are coming for the trucks that he or she is loading so that the person can understand the routes. These are the 2 keys to becoming a successful belt supervisor.
Not really. Our preload supervisors do not train, training sups train. The preload sups have very little knowledge of what is coming and where it goes.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Correct. The only thing UPS HR is allowed to say to another company is, "I can verify that Harry Balls was employed here as a loader from April 2015 to Sept 2015 and as a part time supervisor from Sept 2015 through Sept 2016."

All that other garbage I put out there was inside baseball.

except when the new employer sends a letter asking what kind of employee you were especially the one's that come for a Federal Job. Let the fun begin....