PTSD

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Someone brought up PTSD the other night and how he was embarrassed to admit he had it. I'm creating this thread to hopefully help some who don't realize they have it, to recognize their symptoms for what they are. Please don't turn this into a political thing. I know there are many veterans on this site, some probably living with PTSD. I heard on the radio this morning that 1 out of 5 veterans had PTSD. If you're one of them, please get help so you can be relieved of the nightmare and enjoy the rest of your life.

http://ptsdusa.org/what-is-ptsd/get-help/

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
PTSD, much like ADHD, has become a "catch all" diagnosis and, in some cases, a crutch/excuse for their failure to adjust to civilian life.
For some yes, but for others, it's a very real thing impeding their adjustment to civilian life. It's nothing new. As long as there has been war, there has been PTSD, just called different names through the years...shell shock, battle fatigue, etc. Too many people have died because of it from suicide or murder. It's real.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
There are services available for those folks who truly need it; unfortunately, there are those who are either too proud or do not have the means to avail themselves of said services.
I'm sure part of it is pride, shame, or the feeling that no one will believe them or understand.

As far as the services go, it's been proven that the VA is lacking in services. Thank goodness, people are becoming more aware and supportive of the issue.

walk it off

PTSD, much like ADHD, has become a "catch all" diagnosis and, in some cases, a crutch/excuse for their failure to adjust to civilian life.
I served 20 years, 4 active and 16 reserve in USN. I worked in engine room or A gang. Zero combat and never lost anyone to hostile fire. I don't have PTSD but wouldn't say someone can't hack it is fair or accurate. What you can handle is not what someone else can handle. I have 2 sons, one still in USN for career and one USMC separated.
Oldest is a salvage diver, youngest was arty. Both know 2-3 who have committed suicide. Sad, but not being able to hack it or adjust was not the reason.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Another veteran commits suicide. Unfortunately, he is one of many. He survived the enemy in Afghanistan but couldn’t survive the enemy within. He is survived by a wife and three young children. He was the 30th from his battalion to commit suicide.

We HAVE to do better for our veterans and active military.

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

With all that’s going on in Afghanistan right now and from what I’ve seen on TV and in the news, I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread. If you’re struggling with PTSD or having suicidal thoughts, please, please, get help through any of the sites above. It doesn’t make you weak to admit you need some help. If anything, it makes you stronger and makes it better for you and your families.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

With all that’s going on in Afghanistan right now and from what I’ve seen on TV and in the news, I thought it would be a good time to bump this thread. If you’re struggling with PTSD or having suicidal thoughts, please, please, get help through any of the sites above. It doesn’t make you weak to admit you need some help. If anything, it makes you stronger and makes it better for you and your families.
I know a lot of veterans who already questioned
the things they did in Afghanistan. Now they feel like it was all a complete waste. Sad times.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know a lot of veterans who already questioned
the things they did in Afghanistan. Now they feel like it was all a complete waste. Sad times.
Yeah. I read the other day that the number of veterans calling the VA has risen considerably since last week. That’s why I bumped this thread. You should send this to anyone who is feeling like it was a complete waste.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Hopefully, this will be of help to people suffering from PTSD. .

beatupbrown

I honor vets salute ,there is non military PTSD like a stress full job for years and years can leave it's mark on you , get help if you need it nothing shameful about it !

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

This literally had me crying. It hurts to see someone in so much pain. Thank God, for the trooper who was there for him and was so good with him.

If you’re dealing with PTSD, please check into resources posted in this thread. Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of. You shouldn’t have to fight the demons by yourself. If anything, help can be a great thing because it can help you be a better man/woman, husband/wife, father/mother, etc.

Thebrownblob

This literally had me crying. It hurts to see someone in so much pain. Thank God, for the trooper who was there for him and was so good with him.

If you’re dealing with PTSD, please check into resources posted in this thread. Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of. You shouldn’t have to fight the demons by yourself. If anything, help can be a great thing because it can help you be a better man/woman, husband/wife, father/mother, etc.
I made a pick up at one of my regular customers this Thursday, The main shipping guy was gone for several weeks and I did not ask. I just figured he was on vacation

He was helping me load my package car, and I asked him how he was doing and I said I hadn’t seen him for a bit, and he told me his son committed suicide at 33 years old due to PTSD from his military. 😞

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I made a pick up at one of my regular customers this Thursday, The main shipping guy was gone for several weeks and I did not ask. I just figured he was on vacation

He was helping me load my package car, and I asked him how he was doing and I said I hadn’t seen him for a bit, and he told me his son committed suicide at 33 years old due to PTSD from his military. 😞
That’s so sad.