Punch out times

code5

Hey all. We are a small center up here in Canada and are about to get a pre-load. We have always had a driver sort and load with plenty of overtime. Right now we have a "soft" rule on no more than 10 5 hour workday with the sort. The majority of our fulltime drivers start at 7 a.m.

They are now saying that rule will go down to 9 5 hours per day with a new start time of 9 a.m. That would make a punchout time of 7:30p.m. if we are forced to work a full shift. I'm not sure about anyone else, but I want a life and I'm not sure UPS is the place I wish to be employed at anymore if thats the case.

Anyways, I'm just curious at to what everyones average workday is. What time do you usually start and end your shift? Do you get hastled everytime you want to leave no matter how heavy of workload you have just completed?

We have always been told to listen to our customers, but my customers want earlier delivery times and don't care about later pickup times. They want to go home too!

BTW, I'm a 15 year employee - I do know how the system works. Trip over a dollar to pick up a dime.

helenofcalifornia

What time does your air get to your building? What time does your preload start? Are they guaranteed 3 1/2hours daily? Your start time might be dependent on when your air and feeders get to your building. I start at 8:30. I usually end the day at 7. Depends on the route. Long hours are part of the UPS culture. "It is what it is."

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I work in the same centre. The air normally gets to the building around 6am, the feeders from the east show up around in the middle of the night sometime. When I worked an early morning shift I started at 4:30 and the feeders were there before I was. The west feeders show up about 6am. They have yet to determine when the preload start.

I don't care if working till 7 or 8pm is part of UPS culture. I don't want to be on the clock after 5. Working late during peak season is understandable but I've got other priorities outside of work the other 11 months of the year. If working that late is "UPS culture" then I won't be.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work in the same centre. The air normally gets to the building around 6am, the feeders from the east show up around in the middle of the night sometime. When I worked an early morning shift I started at 4:30 and the feeders were there before I was. The west feeders show up about 6am. They have yet to determine when the preload start.

I don't care if working till 7 or 8pm is part of UPS culture. I don't want to be on the clock after 5. Working late during peak season is understandable but I've got other priorities outside of work the other 11 months of the year. If working that late is "UPS culture" then I won't be.

Welcome to the 21st century at UPS.

helenofcalifornia

You sound like you would make an excellent shop steward in that you appear to be very direct with no problem telling it as you see it. But if you don't want to work after 5 at UPS except for December, than might I suggest a government job for you before you put too many years in at UPS. They hate paying OT.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
A spade is a spade Helen. I don't mind working OT every now and then, but every single day is excessive. Like code5 said, there aren't any customers here that want pickups after 5pm. Outside of the malls, most of the customers that I've picked up from later in the day are waiting for me to pick up so they can go home to. Life is too short to spend all of it working.

code5

You sound like you would make an excellent shop steward in that you appear to be very direct with no problem telling it as you see it. But if you don't want to work after 5 at UPS except for December, than might I suggest a government job for you before you put too many years in at UPS. They hate paying OT.

Ha Ha, government job? How about the majority of jobs. Too many times am I delivering and people are at home eating supper. We have a tough enough time keeping employees with a regular day shift let alone a late shift.

Thats the problem with UPS, they live too much in the past and say thats the way it is. Live in the present because if you can cater you business somewhat to your employees needs it will help the business overall. Yes, I just finished my HR degree. I've alway enjoyed worked at UPS but the only way out center is going to figure out their ways is at the expense of guys like me and jds4lunch.

If I'm wrong and it works for our center, then I guess who cares because i'll go work somewhere where I make make less to begin with, but will get treated WAY better. Yes, the grass isn't greener on the other side all the time but at least it will be fresh horsecrap i'm smelling because I'm sick of smelling the old horsecrap.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We start at 9am. preload starts at 4am.They usually get done at 830-45. This time of year air gets to building 845. Mostly later because of the fog from all the rain we have been getting this summer. Then it is shuttled out to us. I haul a trailer out for our lone satellite area. We must take all of our lunch. If you don't you will have to take it at the building before you can leave. Back in around 7pm. Would much rather be done at 5. 20 years too many

M

Mike23

0845- between 1830 and 1930 depending on the work load.

I'm curious, it seems like almost everyone gets their international air around 0815 or so that we need airmeets. Is there ANY depot that actually has ALL their int air onboard their trucks before they leave and leave around 0830?

code5

0845- between 1830 and 1930 depending on the work load.

I'm curious, it seems like almost everyone gets their international air around 0815 or so that we need airmeets. Is there ANY depot that actually has ALL their int air onboard their trucks before they leave and leave around 0830?

Good point, I've always thought that if that air isn't there at the beginning of the shift, it might be better left dispatched for the next day. I know that sounds over the top in UPS standards but if you think about the benefits, it may outweigh the costs.

Way better dispatching, employee efficiency, better customer perception (They usually think we forgot packages in the truck when we return more than once a day).

We have taken steps back on service before to benefit the company and it has worked to a degree. We got rid of the int'l air commit times in our center. Everyone brought in driver release. We brought in dementional weight.

All I'm saying is that rolling over int'l air until the next business day may not hurt the customer base all that much.

BTW thanks for the posts. Looks like its pretty much UPS standards to have employees start around 9 and end at around 7.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Our int'l air shows up around 9:30 in the summer and 10:30 in the winter (due to daylight savings time). The only day that we don't have air meets is on mondays, since the air comes on the feeders over the weekend.