Punches changed to 'No Call' on WOR

herbigharo32

This post is geared towards those who are shop stewards or has in-depth knowledge of the union contracts.

I will be turning in a grievance this week and have all papers, evidence ready. The situation was I misread my schedule thus accidentally starting 15 minutes late. Last time I was late was by 2 minutes during the first week of January. I clocked in, threw a package noting the tracking number, spoke with supervisor owning up to my error. She requested I leave the sort then changed my punch to a 'No Call' on the WOR. Punches where 4:15 in, 4:18 out. She advised me I was being considered an 'NCNS' for that day. The punch log should show that she edited my punches to a 'No Call'. I did write a package tracking number down before leaving as secondary proof that I was in the hub.

Due to such unorthodox procedures in my hub, I must disclose so perhaps some of you in my district may be able to offer any advice. My hub is 0764 DFW Air, 19th St, DFW Airport, TX. The areas in the hub affected are sort aisle, unload, small sorts, outbound on both night and sunrise. Time cards are not being edited to NCNS for tardies on day sort, twilight, preload (all shifts), and ramp (all shifts).

In the grievance, I am protesting lost wages of $.82 / 3 minutes, falsification of the time card, and unfair enforcement (another person was allowed to work despite being 8 min late)

Considering the situation above, which clause under the supplement for my region can be applied. Been reading through the book and well...it is very understandable for anyone to be baffled by this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So she changed your time card? You were just late. Tampering with a time card is a big no no. Go to the DOL

Punching in late means that you may lose your daily guarantee and, as shown above, may result in you being sent home and your time card coded as NC/NS.

Usually if you are just a few minutes late they will adjust your time card back to your start time; however, if you are 15 minutes or more late you most likely will be sent home and the day will be coded as NC/NS.

trickpony1

if you are 15 minutes or more late you most likely will be sent home and the day will be coded as NC/NS.

-where does it say this in the contract;
-is this considered falsification by the supe;
-let's cause even more short staffing by sending a late employee home and;
-the only possible reason a supe would do this is to preserve, protect and enforce his/her ego.

After filing with the union, you might want to file with the NLRB.

Gimme Danger

Sending you home is a form of discipline. Loss of time is a suspension. This violates just cause and innocent until proven guilty. Grieve Article 7 and supplemental discipline. As well as daily guarantee language for pay.

trickpony1

...or to send a message to his/her co-workers...

According to the OP, other "late" employees are allowed to work.

This isn't grade school. In the adult world, adult things happen...traffic jams, illness, etc. I shouldn't have to enumerate adult situations, you're all grownup and have probably experienced some of these situations.

Last edited:
F

Frankie's Friend

...or to send a message to his/her co-workers...
Alwsys tsking the company side arent you? The attendance record shows LT for lates and 15 for called off and im sure NCNS does not = LT.
DOL Time and Labor Dept would be my choice of venue if they did thst to me.

F

Frankie's Friend

Punching in late means that you may lose your daily guarantee and, as shown above, may result in you being sent home and your time card coded as NC/NS.

Usually if you are just a few minutes late they will adjust your time card back to your start time; however, if you are 15 minutes or more late you most likely will be sent home and the day will be coded as NC/NS.
"Adjusting" one employee's time card to cover an attendance record infraction requires the company to "adjust" all the employees' the same.
Throwing a package is not acceptable regsrdless so did the OP get sent home for tjat or for being late?

trickpony1

DOL Time and Labor Dept would be my choice of venue if they did thst to me.

Unfortunately, the company employs supes that are in control of everything but themselves and who see nothing wrong with unethical behavior such as falsification.

This lack of integrity starts off small and usually snowballs over time.

F

Frankie's Friend

Unfortunately, the company employs supes that are in control of everything but themselves and who see nothing wrong with unethical behavior such as falsification.

This lack of integrity starts off small and usually snowballs over time.
Ya dude if their bosses wont curb the abuse a federal agency msy get their mind right. For a while.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sending you home is a form of discipline. Loss of time is a suspension. This violates just cause and innocent until proven guilty. Grieve Article 7 and supplemental discipline. As well as daily guarantee language for pay.

You may lose the daily guarantee when you punch in even just one minute late.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
This post is geared towards those who are shop stewards or has in-depth knowledge of the union contracts.

I will be turning in a grievance this week and have all papers, evidence ready. The situation was I misread my schedule thus accidentally starting 15 minutes late. Last time I was late was by 2 minutes during the first week of January. I clocked in, threw a package noting the tracking number, spoke with supervisor owning up to my error. She requested I leave the sort then changed my punch to a 'No Call' on the WOR. Punches where 4:15 in, 4:18 out. She advised me I was being considered an 'NCNS' for that day. The punch log should show that she edited my punches to a 'No Call'. I did write a package tracking number down before leaving as secondary proof that I was in the hub.
Which was it? Fifteen minutes late or two minutes late? Better get you act together and make a cohesive story. Just sayin. It’s hard to help guys when they won’t help themselves.

trickpony1

I think he means DOL.
Dept of Labor.

The DOJ, Dept of Justice, is WAY up the ladder from the DOL.

TTKU.
Mash your motor.
Kick it back.