Purple Promise

AB831

When I walk into the high rise apartment building on my route every morning, there is a new pile of Ground boxes right next to the front door, lying there for anyone to steal. One of my coworkers did a pickup from a furious restaurant owner who had to throw away thousands of dollars worth of seafood because the Ground driver never showed up for his pickup the other day. At least once a day, I'm accosted by an angry customer asking if I have their package on my truck that wasn't delivered that morning, and I have to tell them no and that it was probably one of the several other Express drivers who could have a route in this area on any particular day (due to DRA). With incidents like these becoming more and more common, coupled with regular news articles about boxes under tarps at stations, I'm wondering what Fat Freddy has up his sleeve to protect the image of the greatest company in the world. I already know that corporate is infallible and that someone else is to blame for all of these things, but what are they going to come up with to ensure the public continues to see us as the standard of excellence in the business world that we are?

Damon77

Some of us here have been apologizing for Ground for 20 years. And I'm sure there are Ground drivers out there who have apologized for something an Express driver did. FedEx Corp is still making tons of bank, and the cost of a call center employee taking a complaint or a replaced package that was stolen has been factored in.

As far as image...well...now that we have Amazon drivers out here, the curve has been raised.

zeev

When I walk into the high rise apartment building on my route every morning, there is a new pile of Ground boxes right next to the front door, lying there for anyone to steal. One of my coworkers did a pickup from a furious restaurant owner who had to throw away thousands of dollars worth of seafood because the Ground driver never showed up for his pickup the other day. At least once a day, I'm accosted by an angry customer asking if I have their package on my truck that wasn't delivered that morning, and I have to tell them no and that it was probably one of the several other Express drivers who could have a route in this area on any particular day (due to DRA). With incidents like these becoming more and more common, coupled with regular news articles about boxes under tarps at stations, I'm wondering what Fat Freddy has up his sleeve to protect the image of the greatest company in the world. I already know that corporate is infallible and that someone else is to blame for all of these things, but what are they going to come up with to ensure the public continues to see us as the standard of excellence in the business world that we are?
They report 4th quarter earnings June 29th it will be a disaster between the drop in Express volume an d the Ground disaster look out below.

El Morado Diablo

Are you running a route in my loop? My co-worker called FedEx to complain about one of the Ground drivers on his route who was leaving packages at businesses that were closed. Many of them were left to sit out all weekend. The Ground driver found out my co-worked reported him and confronted him. My co-worker told him he was tired of the people on his route chewing him out and told the guy he should take those packages back to the station. I don't think they will be exchanging Christmas cards this year.

AB831

They report 4th quarter earnings June 29th it will be a disaster between the drop in Express volume an d the Ground disaster look out below.
I’m sure their PR department is already working on an official company position blaming the coronavirus.

It will be fine

Are you running a route in my loop? My co-worker called FedEx to complain about one of the Ground drivers on his route who was leaving packages at businesses that were closed. Many of them were left to sit out all weekend. The Ground driver found out my co-worked reported him and confronted him. My co-worker told him he was tired of the people on his route chewing him out and told the guy he should take those packages back to the station. I don't think they will be exchanging Christmas cards this year.
Your “co-worker” should mind his own business. Snitches get stitches.

bacha29

What's happening at Ground is exactly what I told you guys was going to happen. A gold job produces gold. A feces job produces feces. You never have and never will get top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money.
There's two types of people in this world. The crapper and the crappee and eventually contractors in too many labor markets will run out of crapees and the network will suffer mightily. And perhaps the beginning of it is what you're seeing.

zeev

What's happening at Ground is exactly what I told you guys was going to happen. A gold job produces gold. A feces job produces feces. You never have and never will get top of the scale performance for bottom of the scale money.
There's two types of people in this world. The crapper and the crappee and eventually contractors in too many labor markets will run out of crapees and the network will suffer mightily. And perhaps the beginning of it is what you're seeing.
Ground is totally understaffed and unprepared to take on the extra volume, the bureaucracy at Express said give them crumbs. Walmart Target Best Buy will not get burned again.

AB831

You’re absolutely right. They completely remove the element of humanity from it. You don’t need to be compensated reasonably for your effort, you work for FedEx, and the pride that brings should be more than enough for you. Well, it’s their right to run their business however they see fit, but when their oh-so-important image suffers from it, they’ll have no one to blame but themselves.

It will be fine

You’re absolutely right. They completely remove the element of humanity from it. You don’t need to be compensated reasonably for your effort, you work for FedEx, and the pride that brings should be more than enough for you. Well, it’s their right to run their business however they see fit, but when their oh-so-important image suffers from it, they’ll have no one to blame but themselves.
I’ve been hearing of the demise of Ground for its lack of professionalism for 20 years. All that’s happened in that time is steady growth. There’s no reason to think anything has changed.

It will be fine

In general, I agree.
I don't think he cares. He knows he's going to be doing his route long after the Ground driver moves on.
He’s complaining about a service where he’s neither the shipper nor the recipient about a driver that doesn’t even work for his company. What type of POS does that? He’s inviting trouble for himself trying to screw over someone like that.

bacha29

I’ve been hearing of the demise of Ground for its lack of professionalism for 20 years. All that’s happened in that time is steady growth. There’s no reason to think anything has changed.
Perhaps at one time but this is getting to be "whistling through the cemetery" stuff. Sure, on occasion there were hubs and terminals that would fall behind but dig their way out of it in a couple of days. Now it's happening with much greater frequency and they ain't getting caught up nearly as fast. What that's telling me is that it's a structural issue that begins with overselling the service.

dezguy

For real? I feel like it’s peak with the amount of volume we’re doing...
Oh don't believe it!

Had a senior tell me, the other day that the company is doing horrible and our station is an anomaly; no other station in Canada is busy but ours and that's why we didn't get hipp pay this year.

Surely, they wouldn't lie to us, would they?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Oh don't believe it!

Had a senior tell me, the other day that the company is doing horrible and our station is an anomaly; no other station in Canada is busy but ours and that's why we didn't get hipp pay this year.

My station has been going nonstop since all this crap started. This is usually the “off season” when routes are cut and people get minimums. It’s not happening this year. Plus, according to many people on the FedEx Facebook page, it’s heavy at their stations also. Your senior lied.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Oh don't believe it!

What is hipp? Feels like I asked you that before. Lol.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
At least once a day, I'm accosted by an angry customer asking if I have their package on my truck that wasn't delivered that morning, and I have to tell them no and that it was probably one of the several other Express drivers who could have a route in this area on any particular day (due to DRA).

"No sir/ma'am, I don't have that package. Please call 800-GO-FEDEX with your tracking number for assistance."
Why does anyone waste their time going through an explanation when "I have it/I don't have it" is all they care about?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

How did the Ground driver found out? Don't blab that crap.