Pushed by supervisor

U

uber

I've never heard of two union employees exchanging physical aggression without both of them getting fired.
At least in the last 30 years ... once everything started getting PC.

I know of two instances where its happened at my hub. They all got their jobs back.

You know this is the second or third time I've heard of management hitting or attacking workers. This Is supposed to be a workplace, man. I also heard that unless a management type person literally beats on you in front of people than they won't do anything because on road sups are few numbers and their hard to replace, like you can't just go the next day and get an on road sup like you can replace a driver or loader, that's why he is still their.

Buck Fifty

You know this is the second or third time I've heard of management hitting or attacking workers. This Is supposed to be a workplace, man. I also heard that unless a management type person literally beats on you in front of people than they won't do anything because on road sups are few numbers and their hard to replace, like you can't just go the next day and get an on road sup like you can replace a driver or loader, that's why he is still their.

Yes you can, I saw a guy selling puppets on the street the other day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've never heard of two union employees exchanging physical aggression without both of them getting fired.
At least in the last 30 years ... once everything started getting PC.

I know of two instances where its happened at my hub. They all got their jobs back.

Of course, over half of the one's I know of got their job back.
Management do not get their job back, so the final decision has to be made up front.
That's part of the Double Standards equation.

bigblu 2 you

I am fully aware of what a restraining order is. My ? was don't you think a restraining order is over the top?
clubing him like a baby seal would be over the top.restraining order would be like telling his mom on him. i think i said this many posts ago but the proper procedure after being shoved is to fall on the ground as hard as possible and scream these words"dont touch me-call and ambulance".let the rest fall into place.you might even babble aimlessly and convulse a bit before the medics arrive,just be creative its your moment,embrace it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
clubing him like a baby seal would be over the top.restraining order would be like telling his mom on him. i think i said this many posts ago but the proper procedure after being shoved is to fall on the ground as hard as possible and scream these words"dont touch me-call and ambulance".let the rest fall into place.you might even babble aimlessly and convulse a bit before the medics arrive,just be creative its your moment,embrace it.

You could even soil yourself for dramatic effect.

DorkHead

I agree but don't you think hiring a lawyer or calling the police for a very minor case of workplace violence is a bit over the top?

No, I think filing a report with the police so it is documented is the way to go and not over the top. A lawyer would be the next course of action if UPS refuses to do anything. The Sup should be at least transferred.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
]
Being a histrionic drama queen over a "push" is not a good response, jmo. Your post drew funny images in my mind, though.

The problem is that some posters, in this thread , (not mentioning names), have taken the physical alteration beyond a "push". I could see if it was a POWERFUL push, legs and all, causing the person to go flying across the belt.

This sounds like a heated exchange with a small amount of contact - nothing different than we see in pro sports between players and refs (not that I really watch sports or TV, but it goes on I am aware)

There is no reason to embellish in the moment or overreact. Equally as guilty are the "come on hit me" ambulance chasers. :p The majority of times, anyway.

Walk the line

Do every thing you possibly can to protect yourself from UPS bullying. Bring those statements from others to a Lawyer, call the police and file a report, send that report to the local prosecutors office. I'd call the local media too, UPS hates being in the news for bad things.

whiskers

I agree with hoaxster here about this being a double standard. I've read a thread on here where an hourly hit a coworker with a fire extinguisher, and got his job back. If there is a zero-tolerence on violence it should be enforced though. If they let this go then this entire center, district, and local will have to let it slide when any other employee pushes someone.

I don't think a restraining order or a police report should be filed. I know I'd feel like a big sissy for doing so. I've been in some throw down fist fights with some good friends of mine and shook hands and hugged afterwards. But as someone stated earlier a 2 day suspension for a salary employee is a paid vacation, and something more should've been done. I know I would NOT want to be the person to make a decision here about this person's employment. Tough call to make.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Zero tolerance means zero tolerance, not .2 tolerance. It's black and white, no shades of grey. By UPS not terminating this guy immediately it's just showing what everyone knows, UPS doesn't abide by their own rules which leads to negligence the next time something happens and the lawyers come a calling

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I agree but don't you think hiring a lawyer or calling the police for a very minor case of workplace violence is a bit over the top?

If the situation were reversed and the driver pushed/hit/assaulted a management person, I can gurantee that the company would call the police and do everything it could to terminate and prosecute him.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Guys, when someone simply pushes you and you decide to go all Patrick Swayze roadhouse-ripping-hearts-out and stuff, that would classified as unjustified retaliation.

I am entitled to not have my physical space violated.

If I am pushed, or if someone "gets up in my grill", my first reaction will be to back away and do everything I possibly can to de escalate the situation without resorting to violence. I will warn that person to not touch me and to stay out of my immediate physical space. If, after being warned, they continue pushing or willfully volating my physical space, then I will physically eject them from that space using whatever force I deem necessary. I sure as hell am not going to just stand there and allow them to get the first punch in; I dont like getting hit, and glasses and dental work are expensive. I believe in doing unto others before they do unto you.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I should clarify my position on this issue. I do not condone workplace violence. I expect to come to work and not have to worry that I may have to physically defend myself against a supervisor.

That being said, I think the 2 day suspension is appropriate. The push, while inexcusable, was certainly not enough for this person to lose their job, let alone get the local authorities involved or warrant the issuing of an order of protection.

If this were me, I would have requested a meeting with the center manager, the supervisor, myself, shop steward and/or BA upon the sup's return from his suspension. I would have outlined my concerns and insisted upon a guarantee that this would never happen again. Finally, I would have requested and accepted an apology from the sup. I would hope that we would then shake hands and move on.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I should clarify my position on this issue. I do not condone workplace violence. I expect to come to work and not have to worry that I may have to physically defend myself against a supervisor.

That being said, I think the 2 day suspension is appropriate. The push, while inexcusable, was certainly not enough for this person to lose their job, let alone get the local authorities involved or warrant the issuing of an order of protection.

If this were me, I would have requested a meeting with the center manager, the supervisor, myself, shop steward and/or BA upon the sup's return from his suspension. I would have outlined my concerns and insisted upon a guarantee that this would never happen again. Finally, I would have requested and accepted an apology from the sup. I would hope that we would then shake hands and move on.

Typical Upstate.
He says the 2 day suspension was appropriate, then in the very next sentence calls the push "inexcusable".
That being said, UPS's zero tolerance policy would mean the supervisor should be terminated.
That's why he loves UPS so much, for the hypocrisy.
Birds of a feather who like to make and break the rules as they go along.

Indecisi0n

So it's not the act itself to you that counts but its the measurement of "damage" done? So if a drunk driver crashed into another person and no one is hurt then the judge should be lenient. The sup crossed the line and should be punished to the full extent.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Typical Upstate.
He says the 2 day suspension was appropriate, then in the very next sentence calls the push "inexcusable".
That being said, UPS's zero tolerance policy would mean the supervisor should be terminated.
That's why he loves UPS so much, for the hypocrisy.
Birds of a feather who like to make and break the rules as they go along.

I personally like discriminating people better than mindless automatons and so did Asimov.