PVD (beating a dead horse?)

New as a PVD. Really didn't know a thing about this site and just happened across it today looking up UPS stuff. Today was day 1. Let me say... I wish I would have known about some stuff like how the union works beforehand...

Mainly 1 question as it seems sentiments have changed over time as I have been reading on here.

How do I keep in good graces with the drivers? A few, of course, look at me like a scab and I did not understand it until reading posts here. Some seem to treat you like a human. In reality I knew this was a foot in the door and a seasonal position. I know my job ends abruptly. I want to have a decent "marking" on my employment with UPS in the eventuality I may sign for a warehouse position. Rural deliveries had less than 40 stops, 70 miles. Using a small 4door sedan with the back seat gutted.

What's the best help a PVD can be to you regular employees without stepping on toes, and still make myself feel I've accomplished something for the day?

Nah
What's the best help a PVD can be to you regular employees without stepping on toes, and still make myself feel I've accomplished something for the day?
Show up and get it done.

A lot of people will never like you though. It's not personal, it's the company that's screwing them over not you. But still...

Show up and get it done.

A lot of people will never like you though. It's not personal, it's the company that's screwing them over not you. But still...
Basically just be respectful and a decent human and don't make things difficult I'm guessing.

I've been in 2 union jobs before and it's kind of amazing how UPS skirts contract lines. Usually in situations like that the district leaders would call for a new contract or things to be amended. If I was to pay dues I would be all for it.

I was told at orientation we are NOT part of the union, very explicitly told that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Basically just be respectful and a decent human and don't make things difficult I'm guessing.

I've been in 2 union jobs before and it's kind of amazing how UPS skirts contract lines. Usually in situations like that the district leaders would call for a new contract or things to be amended. If I was to pay dues I would be all for it.

I was told at orientation we are NOT part of the union, very explicitly told that.

You’re a scab and shall be treated as such

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I will call you scab in the most grateful, respectful way possible, lol. It's a lot similar to my interactions with the amazon drivers. They are running themselves into the ground at a meat-grinder-pace and doing the craziest maneuvers. I want the situation to be better but it means standing up for yourself, being friendly with your peers, absolutely no competition between each other or support for management hiring practices, and taking some sacrifice.

for every person that gets churned through, whether the reason they are let go is valid or not. they get replaced with someone 10 times worse.

Last edited:

HavenoEDD

Sadly, you’re taking away union work and for that you will never have any reputable drivers respect. You are a part of the system that is trying to end the union relationship with the company and that relationship takes good care of its drivers. Want respect from the drivers, work hard, do what it takes and become one.

Deliver your packages to the door and be as professional as possible. Many of us have spent a decade or more servicing our customers, building relationships and take pride kn our everyday work. We don’t take too well when folks show up and leave :censored2: by mailboxes, throw stuff and do a half ass job.

The whole PVD thing should be a strikeable issue, like you said literally taking work away from union members. Here last year they were loading up the PVDs with volume and sending drivers home before they even had 8 trying not to pay them they’re guarantee.
It was the same way here and especially when you were forcing drivers in on a sixth punch.

If you ruin my Saturday you're going to freaking pay me