Q for old Feeder drivers

Hangingon

Heard on a local news station that the government is thinking about changing the hours of service rules. They are exploring the option of moving them back to what they were before they were changed during the Reagen years. One they mentioned was changing the 11 hour rule back to 10.

I was wondering if any of the other hours of service rules were different back then?

raceanoncr

Saw an email just yesterday about this. Another legislative guffaw! Just in the talking stage. Didn't give specifics just that they were looking at it again.
Didn't talk about 34 hr reset, 10 or 8 hr rest or 11 or 10 hour drive. Nothing.

They just said "Truckers are tired". Duh.

P

pickup

nothing a little creative logging cant handle

I don't know how they do things on your side of the fence but we are on a computerized system on the ups feeders side. Any creative logging is going to have to take place by management overriding the system

City Driver

I don't know how they do things on your side of the fence but we are on a computerized system on the ups feeders side. Any creative logging is going to have to take place by management overriding the system

we still do paper logs here, but i dont usually have to do them, but management keeps track of my hours for me

P

pickup

we still do paper logs here, but i dont usually have to do them

unless there is a period of over 12 hours from the moment you punch in until the moment you punch out or if you travel out of the 100 air mile radius area from your home terminal. I don't know why I know that but as some people have pointed out, I have a lot of free time.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
10 hour rest is a beautiful thing . I hope they don't change it.

Even though we are on the IVIS is keep a paper log. Its more of a back-up thing than anything. There have been plenty of times where the IVIS went down on me and if I got stopped at a scale or the like at least I had paper to be able to show something.

bluehdmc

we still do paper logs here, but i dont usually have to do them, but management keeps track of my hours for me

I believe you should really keep your own log as you are responsible.

Heard on a local news station that the government is thinking about changing the hours of service rules. They are exploring the option of moving them back to what they were before they were changed during the Reagen years. One they mentioned was changing the 11 hour rule back to 10.

I was wondering if any of the other hours of service rules were different back then?

Yes, current rule is 10 consecutive hours off duty with 8 consecutive in sleeper berth, remaining 2 could be off or sleeper.
Old rules allowed off duty/sleeper berth to be broken up into 2 period, I believe as long as they were at least 2 hours. This worked out for OTR drivers who might arrive at a location and have to 4-5 hrs to be unloaded. Under current rules,after being unloaded they may be out of service for exceeding the 14hr rule.

10 hour rest is a beautiful thing . I hope they don't change it.

Even though we are on the IVIS is keep a paper log. Its more of a back-up thing than anything. There have been plenty of times where the IVIS went down on me and if I got stopped at a scale or the like at least I had paper to be able to show something.

It looks like what they want to change is the 11 hr driving rule back to 10 hrs.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
I think the goverment is looking at the sleeper team hours. I sure hope they don't go back to the old way, where we had the keep up with 7 day hours and 6 day hours. I like the current method much better, and I really like the 34 hour reset......

outta hours

Management, creative logging, overriding the system? Just sounds like things that go together. Nothing unusual about that.:wink2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Management, creative logging, overriding the system? Just sounds like things that go together. Nothing unusual about that.:wink2:

There's a good reason logs are called "comic books". Whatever it takes to get the job done doesn't necessarily coincide with legal requirements, and that's OK with management, unless you're on a hit list.