Qualifications for employment

I'm curious to find out what the required qualifications (certifications, licenses, etc) to become a Journeyman Automotive mechanic are? The Job postings for the position are relatively vague and mention none of this. I've tried searching the forums and haven't found the answer im looking for. I'm located on the east coast if that makes any difference, not sure if different locals have different requirements.

Thanks

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I'm curious to find out what the required qualifications (certifications, licenses, etc) to become a Journeyman Automotive mechanic are? The Job postings for the position are relatively vague and mention none of this. I've tried searching the forums and haven't found the answer im looking for. I'm located on the east coast if that makes any difference, not sure if different locals have different requirements.

Thanks
Usually need to be a diesel mechanic with class a cdl. Just apply and they will contact you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Thanks
Can you write legibly

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@EastCoastPotato: Some general info I've picked up over the years:
  • class A driver's license (preferred, may not be required initially), doubles/triples endorsement also
  • ASE certifications
  • heavy truck/diesel experience clearly a plus
  • in most areas, the company inspects/certifies our own equipment;, so if your state has certification/licensing for that, it would be a plus, or something to work towards
  • welding skills and/or certification
  • forklift use (PITO) certification a plus, but I'm sure you'd have to go through the company's "training"
Really, they've had to lower their pre-qualification standards over the years; I think primarily because they generally won't start anyone at Journeyman pay, and the fact that, at least initially, it's night shift work.

@EastCoastPotato: Some general info I've picked up over the years:
  • class A driver's license (preferred, may not be required initially), doubles/triples endorsement also
  • ASE certifications
  • heavy truck/diesel experience clearly a plus
  • in most areas, the company inspects/certifies our own equipment;, so if your state has certification/licensing for that, it would be a plus, or something to work towards
  • welding skills and/or certification
  • forklift use (PITO) certification a plus, but I'm sure you'd have to go through the company's "training"
Really, they've had to lower their pre-qualification standards over the years; I think primarily because they generally won't start anyone at Journeyman pay, and the fact that, at least initially, it's night shift work.
Thank you for giving a serious answer! I found my local contract and looked through it and found a few answers. I have almost a decade worth of auto repair experience, unfortunately none of it on heavy equipment. Says starting pay is 85% of journeyman wage and it's a 2 year progression. Mainly I'm looking for stability and consistent work and it seems UPS is either busy or super busy. Meanwhile the dealership was always a cointoss which sucks when you're flat rate. I actually like nightshifts so that would be perfect for me. Any idea how many mechanics work at a hub usually? Again, thank you!

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Any idea how many mechanics work at a hub usually? Again, thank you!
This would depend largely on the hub/center you are applying for. I am on the east coast also at the 3-4th largest ground hub in the nation. We have about 6-7 (give or take) diesel mechanics working during the day, maybe 2-3 trailer mechanics. Less during nights and weekends. We have at least 30 tractors red tagged on the fence right now for PMI’s or other issues. We are swamped. Smaller hubs? Not so much.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
This would depend largely on the hub/center you are applying for. I am on the east coast also at the 3-4th largest ground hub in the nation. We have about 6-7 (give or take) diesel mechanics working during the day, maybe 2-3 trailer mechanics. Less during nights and weekends. We have at least 30 tractors red tagged on the fence right now for PMI’s or other issues. We are swamped. Smaller hubs? Not so much.
You are just soooooooooo perfect with your on topic answers.

Sheeesh

Thanks for the input, what exactly is a PMI? I understand there is a probationary period if you're hired. During this period is there some kind of training? Kind of off topic but what would you say the average tenure of the techs at your hub is? Last dealer I was at had sink or swim philosophy and because of that had a revolving door of techs coming and going. Sorry about all the questions just trying to get a good understanding.

Yeet

Thanks for the input, what exactly is a PMI? I understand there is a probationary period if you're hired. During this period is there some kind of training? Kind of off topic but what would you say the average tenure of the techs at your hub is? Last dealer I was at had sink or swim philosophy and because of that had a revolving door of techs coming and going. Sorry about all the questions just trying to get a good understanding.
You hit top rate after 2 years. For me it’s 4. After your two years you will be making more an hour than me, a feeder driver. Our mechs here have been here for decades. Interpret that how you will. PMI (preventive maintenance inspection) is basically an overall inspection they do on every tractor every year to make sure everything is up to par.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

PMI....Preventive Maintenance Inspection.

Really? Never heard of it? Keep looking....

They(Mgt.) are looking for "fleet" experience. As in our "fleet".....assigned vehicles etc. Continuing preventative maintenance etc. Lot's of brakes.......

They have reduced much of our maintenance to parts changing. Contracting out transmissions, engines etc. The mechanics "swap out those items but don't rebuild them.

Your dealership jobs were about "making money". UPS is about "saving money".

Now, I have seen guys hired with not much fleet experience.....

Yeet

To hit on some of your other questions, unfortunately I have no idea how the break in period goes for mechanics. All I can tell you is I haven’t seen any new faces for a long time so those who get hired tend to stay on. I have talked to other mechanics and the only other bit of information I can give you is you have to have your own tools. UPS does not provide them for you.

clean hairy

To hit on some of your other questions, unfortunately I have no idea how the break in period goes for mechanics. All I can tell you is I haven’t seen any new faces for a long time so those who get hired tend to stay on. I have talked to other mechanics and the only other bit of information I can give you is you have to have your own tools. UPS does not provide them for you.
I could be mistaken, in the contract they have a tool allowance?
Or, is there other language in the contract regarding it?

Yeet

I could be mistaken, in the contract they have a tool allowance?
Or, is there other language in the contract regarding it?
I don’t know I’ve never gone looking for it. I can only tell you what they tell me and I’ve been told by more than one mechanic that they had to supply their own tools. You should see some of their toolboxes, they are the size of my car.

DeCurtis

Not to derail, but an old mentor of mine once scolded me for being overly worried about cost reduction. "Any idiot can save money, start thinking about how to make it" he said. Taking his advise has made my small business very successful.

PMI....Preventive Maintenance Inspection.

Really? Never heard of it? Keep looking....

They(Mgt.) are looking for "fleet" experience. As in our "fleet".....assigned vehicles etc. Continuing preventative maintenance etc. Lot's of brakes.......

They have reduced much of our maintenance to parts changing. Contracting out transmissions, engines etc. The mechanics "swap out those items but don't rebuild them.

Now, I have seen guys hired with not much fleet experience.....
Yea....never heard of that acronym before.... MPI, PPI, PTI, VIR, SI those are ones I'm familiar with. You'd think if they wanted specific qualities in a candidate the job description would be more.... descriptive. I am familiar with the parts cannon one of the most used tools in the industry unfortunately.