Qualifying...

Minicuccio

In third week of qualifying for package car. When do the nerves stop?! They said I'm doing good. Haven't had to be helped yet. One day was .2 then I was .9 (whatever that means) and they were on me. Starting to know the route pretty good but once I hopefully qualify I'll be a swing driver having to learn new routes again and that's got me a bag of nerves. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
In third week of qualifying for package car. When do the nerves stop?! They said I'm doing good. Haven't had to be helped yet. One day was .2 then I was .9 (whatever that means) and they were on me. Starting to know the route pretty good but once I hopefully qualify I'll be a swing driver having to learn new routes again and that's got me a bag of nerves. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
A lot of the pressure falls off on day 31.
You get used to being lost and behind when you're swing/cover. Took about 6 months before I could go out blind without stressing out at all. Make your commits and pickup times, the rest will get done eventually.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Almost as bad when the new girlfriend tells you she is "late"!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The .2 and .9 refer to how long it took you to do the route on those two days in comparison to the planned day.

Let's use round numbers to make the math easy.

Suppose you run the route in 8 hours and the plan was for 8 hours. Your over/underallowed would be zero----that is called running scratch and is ideal.

Suppose you run that same route in 7.5 hours. Your underallowed would be .5.

Suppose you run that same route in 8.5 hours. Your overallowed would be .5.

In order to qualify you are supposed to be able to scratch the run and take a full meal break.

trickpony1

No one has suggested the OP fix a healthy lunch, complete with sports drinks, to take to work.

After the morning commits, find a safe place to park and punch meal. While eating your sandwiches, sort your load, collect your thoughts and prepare for your afternoon.

The company knows rookies do this. It's not a secret.

Once qualified, don't work off the clock. Good luck.

john chesney

It never stops