Question about absence (combo)

Phraust

This will vary a bit by region and how on the ball your local is, my Center Manager has recently started trying to discipline ANYONE who leaves before their shift is done(assuming they tell someone and clock out), the local keeps squashing the disciplines as baseless and that's been the status quo for now but we're waiting to hear what Labor has to say about it.

Regarding all the 'jokesters' shouting Job Abandonment this is also subject to some local policies, in my shop as long as you clock out they can't call it job abandonment as you're clocking off represents a form of you notifying them of your departure, this hasn't actually come up in a grievance in a long while but it's where we the stewards have been told the line is drawn.

clean hairy

This will vary a bit by region and how on the ball your local is, my Center Manager has recently started trying to discipline ANYONE who leaves before their shift is done(assuming they tell someone and clock out), the local keeps squashing the disciplines as baseless and that's been the status quo for now but we're waiting to hear what Labor has to say about it.

Regarding all the 'jokesters' shouting Job Abandonment this is also subject to some local policies, in my shop as long as you clock out they can't call it job abandonment as you're clocking off represents a form of you notifying them of your departure, this hasn't actually come up in a grievance in a long while but it's where we the stewards have been told the line is drawn.
If the employees are told "you do not leave until all the work is finished" and a person decides to leave when they feel like it, that would not be job abandonment?

Phraust

If the employees are told "you do not leave until all the work is finished" and a person decides to leave when they feel like it, that would not be job abandonment?
As I understand it no, at the worst it's a 'Failure to Follow Instructions' but even that might be a stretch since we have a very clear understanding(or I should say had since there's been some changes lately) that a Supervisor has to state that it's an instruction. I work in the jurisdiction of one of if not THE most militant locals in the region so when it comes to company versus union issues we have a lot of that locked down in previous settlements, agreements, understandings, etc. I should state again though in my 'many' years there, most of which is as a steward there has never been an issue with job abandonment outside of pre-seniorities and they almost never return to face the discipline.

Boston25

I am talking about more like if you leave during your lunch time and don't show up to your second half!
No it’s considered job abandonment here. Unless some emergency came up or they let you leave during your first shift is one thing. But to go on lunch and never come back is job abandonment.