Question about becoming a driver after reading article from Yahoo.

msuspar2003

I saw this article on Yahoo that over the next 5 years UPS will hire 25k new drivers to replace baby boomers. here is the link http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_109258.html

I have been with UPS for 2 1/2 years is that not enough time to be in the running to be a driver? Also, how to you go about trying to be a driver? Do you have to sign a bid sheet or write a letter to HR?

My hub never seems to want to supply any information. So any info would be great. Thanks

brownrod

Depends on how many employees have been in your location for more than 2.5 years that want the job also.

Some locals put out a sheet once per year and everyone interested signs it. If a driver position opens up they ask the highest senior employee on the list if they want the job. My local used to do it this way.

The way my local does it now (and a lot of others) is if a driver position opens up they put up a bid sheet for a week and anyone interested signs it. Highest senior employee who is qualified for the position is given the chance.

After 2.5 years you should have a feel for where you stand in line. Unless you are in a huge hub and there are hundreds of people you haven't even met yet. In my center there are less than 50 pters so I always knew where I stood in line and it wasn't a surprise when I got the driver position.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Write a letter to HR asking to have your name put on the package car waiting list. Do this at the end of every year for the following year. In my building HR has forms that we fill out asking us which buildings we are intersted in, we have 11 UPS in our local and can take a driver job at any of them.

I read that article earlier and it states that it will need to replace 25,000 drivers over the next 5 years due to retirement. Thats 25% of todays drivers, now that is some turnover, god bless those 25,000 for making it to retirement!

NHDRVR

Headline says "UPS is looking for a few good drivers...", I wonder if they have forgotten about all of the ones that were laid off back to part-time.

klein

Für Meno :)
Write a letter to HR asking to have your name put on the package car waiting list. Do this at the end of every year for the following year. In my building HR has forms that we fill out asking us which buildings we are intersted in, we have 11 UPS in our local and can take a driver job at any of them.

I read that article earlier and it states that it will need to replace 25,000 drivers over the next 5 years due to retirement. Thats 25% of todays drivers, now that is some turnover, god bless those 25,000 for making it to retirement!

I wonder if it's just coicendence, this news came out today, with the UPS stock review (to buy some)....
25000 more drivers retire within 5 years. means 25000 more on the payroll (pensions and medical).

Besides, don't know how the lower dollar value will effect UPS. It effected GM big time - negativly !

bad company

semi-pro
Identifying competitor packages on a video game ... wow.

That "supervisor" that gave him a pat on the back is my new division manager effective Monday. Maybe she'll give me a pat on the back for identifying the incompetent management that I am privileged to work with in real life.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That "supervisor" that gave him a pat on the back is my new division manager effective Monday. Maybe she'll give me a pat on the back for identifying the incompetent management that I am privileged to work with in real life.
According to my wife, she will more likely give you a pat on the butt.

klein

According to my wife, she will more likely give you a pat on the butt.

Here's what's comming to you : LOL
MK-BC185_UPS1_G_20100405174254.jpg

klein

Scary thought :
You know, how UPS claims every accident is the drivers fault, because they have been giving the tools and proper training to avoid them....
Well, maybe that's thier next step : Every fall and slip accident is also the drivers fault, because they have been trained how to avoid them ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Scary thought :
You know, how UPS claims every accident is the drivers fault, because they have been giving the tools and proper training to avoid them....
Well, maybe that's thier next step : Every fall and slip accident is also the drivers fault, because they have been trained how to avoid them ?

Klein, as you know, UPS documents both accidents and injuries and employees who have more than one documented injury are called "repeaters" and have the pleasure of receiving extra attention and training. I have been classified as a repeater and have extra attention and training on a monthly basis. There are 8-10 of us in my center alone. Injuries, especially lost time injuries, do cost the company money and eliminating and/or reducing them does make sense, but we live in an imperfect world with what can be seen as unreasonable demands in terms of work and pace and, yes, injuries will occur.

In most cases slip and fall injuries are the employees fault. That is my personal opinion only.