Question About Bid List for PT Package Handler (Local 705)

Recently, a new hire in my center was selected to train for a preferred position. Someone with higher seniority complained and threatened to file a grievance on the matter. In response, management put up a bid list. I, and a few other higher seniority workers, signed the bid sheet for the preferred position.

Here is the problem: My management team has decided to train the original new hire as well as a lower seniority employee in the preferred position, despite the fact that several higher seniority employees signed the bid list for the position. Their argument is that I and the other higher seniority employees are skilled (sorters and hazmat certified) so they took the highest seniority unskilled employees to fill the position.

I plan on speaking to my BA about this but because I work in a smaller center he won't be in for another week or so. Is this accurate or do I have a grievance? This is one of the first times my center has even put up a bid sheet for a preferred position, so I am not sure how this works.

Any feedback would be appreciated.