Question about Calling In (yes one of those threads)

Called in today due to a group project collaboration project (only time we could all meet) for graduation in May. My hub manager was asking all kinds of questions and basically told me that I should have gotten it done sooner (tried), that I need to be at work (agreed) and I was being disrespectful (say wha?). I've read about not going into detail when you call in but I'm a straight up guy. I don't have a history of repeat absences, just three that I can think of (called in every time). I've been on the sort aisle since Sept '11.

Basically, am I good? There are guys on the aisle that miss at least one to two days a week and nothing ever happens to them. Since I consider myself a hard worker, my conscience may be getting the best of me here.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Yeah, you are fine. Don't sweat it. they just want bodies in at work and those other guys are just colder about their calling off. "Hi, this is Blah Blah. I won't be in today" *CLICK* That's all you need. Your business is none of theirs.

anonymous4

I read so many of these posts about people booking off and getting talked out of it. This is a tough, physically draining job. Some days you need to just stay home and rest. If it isn't a habit, booking off shouldn't be a probleml. A habit is some of these pt hub workers who book off every other week and show up 15 minutes late every day "just because" they can. Common sense prevails. If you need a day off to get things done, rest a muscle, do a school project - you call up, and say I won't be in today, this is where I work in the building - Good Day". You know the perpetually absent are screwing them over again when your center manager picks the phone up.

klolx

Yeah, you are fine. Don't sweat it. they just want bodies in at work and those other guys are just colder about their calling off. "Hi, this is Blah Blah. I won't be in today" *CLICK* That's all you need. Your business is none of theirs.

What if they ask questions? What should we do? Like lets say I call in sick "Hi this is blah blah, I won't be in today" and what if they ask "Why?" Also, who do we call our supervisor? I remember they gave us a paper with numbers listed so in case you call in sick but I lost it....lol

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Depends on how big your building is. I started in a hub with a "radio room" and you called there and that was that. The building I'm in now is an extended center so you generally have to talk to a FT Sup. Conversation still goes like this "This is badpal and I'm not going to be able to make it in today." I don't make it a habit and I try to schedule things or days off in advance, however, when ***** happens then ***** happens.

Johney

This is (put name here) I'm not feeling well and won't be in today.(Them) What's wrong?(You)Are you a doctor?(Them)No.(You)I'll be there tomorrow if I'm feeling better,good bye!

brown_trousers

If your supervisor and/or center has a voicemail, you can use a service called "slydial" that connects you straight to their voicemail without dialing their phone. Its always easier leaving a message as you don't have to answer any questions.

Cementups

Box Monkey
What if they ask questions? What should we do? Like lets say I call in sick "Hi this is blah blah, I won't be in today" and what if they ask "Why?" Also, who do we call our supervisor? I remember they gave us a paper with numbers listed so in case you call in sick but I lost it....lol

My last answer to "Why?" was "Because UPS and Teamsters agreed to me having 5 sick days per year to use at my discretion and today is going to be one of those days." His response was, "OK, see you tomorrow."

Y'all are awesome. Got my project done! I like the diarrhea approach, seems effective. Can't come in because I won't be able to do my job SAFELY is impenetrable haha.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are required to give them notice one hour prior to your start time, that's it.
Don't tell them why, they don't need to know.
Make up a story and you're on the hook for dishonesty.
Like 407 said, call and take yourself out of service.
Then call again when you intend to return.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Called in today due to a group project collaboration project (only time we could all meet) for graduation in May. My hub manager was asking all kinds of questions and basically told me that I should have gotten it done sooner (tried), that I need to be at work (agreed) and I was being disrespectful (say wha?). I've read about not going into detail when you call in but I'm a straight up guy. I don't have a history of repeat absences, just three that I can think of (called in every time). I've been on the sort aisle since Sept '11.

Basically, am I good? There are guys on the aisle that miss at least one to two days a week and nothing ever happens to them. Since I consider myself a hard worker, my conscience may be getting the best of me here.

Any advice is appreciated.
​Break the habit of going into details, and FAST!

A

anonymous6

can't really add anything/ our BA said our responsibility is to call in at least an hour or more ahead of schedule and that's all. ( and have sick days unless you are really sick ) no details need be explained.

BTW ...I thought you were an architect?