Question about "Casual full-time Seasonal delivery driver"

Sfferrarif1

Hello everybody. I just had a couple questions regarding a position as a Casual full-time seasonal delivery driver. I'm scheduled to have my initial meeting soon, and have not yet been hired. But I had a few questions before I walked in the door. The email I received states that the position is for a casual full-time seasonal driver, until 12/31. I'm concerned that these questions may not be answered honestly by HR.

Is this going to be an actual full-time position with 40+ hours a week throughout the entire period?

Also, does this mean I will only be driving, or should I expect to be moved to a different job position and treated as more-or-less a "fill-in"?

Thank you for any feedback.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You will be a driver and will not be moved elsewhere.

There is no way that anyone on this forum can tell you with any accuracy how many hours you will work per week or even if you will work every day of the week.

You will be covering for vacations and helping our during the busy season during the summer and again near Christmas.

Your employment will end on or around 12/31.

Bust your butt between now and then and there is a chance you will be brought back on a permanent basis early next year.

Sfferrarif1

You will be a driver and will not be moved elsewhere.

There is no way that anyone on this forum can tell you with any accuracy how many hours you will work per week or even if you will work every day of the week.

You will be covering for vacations and helping our during the busy season during the summer and again near Christmas.

Your employment will end on or around 12/31.

Bust your butt between now and then and there is a chance you will be brought back on a permanent basis early next year.

Thank you for your quick response. The main reason I ask is that I can't afford to work less than full-time. I was hoping to get an idea if I'm setting myself up for disaster, financially. I know the Ad and email specifically states "full-time hours", but I also realize that things can change. I've read about people who are on-call or fill in when needed, and was hoping that this wasn't going to be the case.

Box Ox

Is this going to be an actual full-time position with 40+ hours a week throughout the entire period?

Probably not. Lots of locations took on another round of new full time permanent drivers this year who are laid off more often than not. And they get to drive before any seasonals get to hit the road. So you may not even get to drive during vacation heavy weeks. And even further, you'll be behind any seasonal drivers who are also permanent part time employees.

12/31 is just the last day you're supposed to be ready to work. You'd likely get plenty of work from Thanksgiving on. But until then I wouldn't count on taking a route out for more days than you can count on 1 hand unless the location you're applying to is really short on drivers.

Sfferrarif1

Probably not. Lots of locations took on another round of new full time permanent drivers this year who are laid off more often than not. And they get to drive before any seasonals get to hit the road. So you may not even get to drive during vacation heavy weeks. And even further, you'll be behind any seasonal drivers who are also permanent part time employees.

12/31 is just the last day you're supposed to be ready to work. You'd likely get plenty of work from Thanksgiving on. But until then I wouldn't count on taking a route out for more days than you can count on 1 hand unless the location you're applying to is really short on drivers.

Thank you for your response as well. It just puzzles me that they'd seek to hire seasonal employees with "full-time hours", and have you work once in a blue moon. The ol' bait-and-switch. So in other words, if I'm relying on full-time hours, I should probably pass?

Box Ox

Thank you for your response as well. It just puzzles me that they'd seek to hire seasonal employees with "full-time hours", and have you work once in a blue moon. The ol' bait-and-switch. So in other words, if I'm relying on full-time hours, I should probably pass?

By "full time" they mean that if/when you're sent out on a route it'll be with a full day's worth of stops. At least 8+ hours. When you punch into your board it'll be under the full time temp driver pay code.

I'd be really surprised if you were brought on and given 40+ hours a week. Most seasonals at my location only get to drive during the holiday season. And higher seniority seasonals only get to drive when the poop really hits the fan with call outs and vacations. Which is rare.

Just be direct with your HR person and ask the same questions you have here. It's not in either of your interests for you to be trained, not get the amount of work you need and have to leave.

Sfferrarif1

By "full time" they mean that if/when you're sent out on a route it'll be with a full day's worth of stops. At least 8+ hours. When you punch into your board it'll be under the full time temp driver pay code.

I'd be really surprised if you were brought on and given 40+ hours a week. Most seasonals at my location only get to drive during the holiday season. And higher seniority seasonals only get to drive when the poop really hits the fan with call outs and vacations. Which is rare.

Just be direct with your HR person and ask the same questions you have here. It's not in either of your interests for you to be trained, not get the amount of work you need and have to leave.

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely talk with the HR person about it. I was concerned they'd say whatever I wanted to hear as opposed to the real-deal. Thanks again.

WorknLateHuh

In my center if you're a seasonal driver, you can count on 9 to 10+ hour days on the days you do work. That will be some good overtime. Sometimes they work every day, sometimes it's random days here and there. For the most part, our guys work most of the week. It all depends on staffing, and it seems we are always on a skeleton crew.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If you're looking for a full time permanent job then pass. The chance of it becoming permanent is slim. You usually will be laid off for a couple weeks in September. Depending on need you usually will work full time hours until Christmas. It varies by location.

SmithBarney

We had a guy that did this, worked full time 40+ week through peak roughly, then disappeared until summer then he'd work around 4 months Jun-Sept 40+ a week covering routes. so he'd work about 6 months a year, and make enough $$$ to enjoy 6 months off... Then he became a manager, said it was the worst decision he ever made.