PhatPattheRiverRat

Before you start in on me: meant to write friend/T driver position on subject, not sure why I blanked out and wrote cover.

Hey again all. So I have only been a local sort goon for all of 1.5 months at this point. Haven't signed any bid sheets yet because my buddy, a longtime driver said I need to wait 1 year to sign any bids or be eligible.

A few days ago, my supe came to me and said our center needs drivers and is posting some bid sheets and that I should should sign them. Told me about a few guys from a few months ago, one was sorting 2 months, another for 7 and they were hired as friend/T drivers after signing a sheet, mainly because no one else did, or those with more seniority had driving record dings.

So I tell my buddy, the driver and he goes "no freaking way, impossible. He's lying. Got to be on a year as far as I know." I'm confused as hell. Asked HR and she said 2 p/t'ers had indeed been hired on at 2 and 7 months as drivers. Is my buddy confused? Are they so desperate for drivers that there is no wait anymore? Whatever, I'm signin the sheets when they are posted.

edit: I'm in the central states, if that matters.

WorknLateHuh

"Full time driver position" starting out is a "Cover" position. You're not going to have your own route. You will be moved from route to route as needed.

Yes, i would sign away.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I went driving after 1 year. There is a guy qualifying in my center right now that worked 3 months in the hub. Lots of places need drivers man. Shoot your shot.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Before you start in on me: meant to write friend/T driver position on subject, not sure why I blanked out and wrote cover.

Hey again all. So I have only been a local sort goon for all of 1.5 months at this point. Haven't signed any bid sheets yet because my buddy, a longtime driver said I need to wait 1 year to sign any bids or be eligible.

A few days ago, my supe came to me and said our center needs drivers and is posting some bid sheets and that I should should sign them. Told me about a few guys from a few months ago, one was sorting 2 months, another for 7 and they were hired as friend/T drivers after signing a sheet, mainly because no one else did, or those with more seniority had driving record dings.

So I tell my buddy, the driver and he goes "no freaking way, impossible. He's lying. Got to be on a year as far as I know." I'm confused as hell. Asked HR and she said 2 p/t'ers had indeed been hired on at 2 and 7 months as drivers. Is my buddy confused? Are they so desperate for drivers that there is no wait anymore? Whatever, I'm signin the sheets when they are posted.

Sign the bid.

Normally you need a year to drive but if you have 2 months and you're the highest seniority guy on the bid. You should get the job.

AlliSeeisBrown

I was local sort for 3 months before I won an RTD bid. Drove for peak then immediately won a FT bid right after the season. I never was aware of there being a rule that you have to work there a year to sign a bid. If you read the bid sheet, it will always explain what qualifications/what classifications you have to be to sign it. Moral of the story, if you want it, sign it. Worst that can happen is you won't get a call.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Long wait
proxy-8.gif

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Sign the bid sheet

What’s the worst they can do?

UrFellowUpser

I was a preloader for 8 months and then I won an RTD bid. I then Drove for peak then 3 months later i won a FT bid. I just got my One year of safe driving reward today. You will be a Cover Driver and you're not going to have your own route for many many years.you will be moved from route to route as needed and some days you will not work.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
We have guys with less than two years driving getting into feeders. Company has more needs than they can or are willing to fill.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have guys with less than two years driving getting into feeders. Company has more needs than they can or are willing to fill.

I am seeing the same thing at the hubs in my area. I have taken break with a guy that worked PT for 3 months, signed a FT bid, worked cover for less than a year, signed a feeder school bid and won that. Been with the company 4 or 5 years and has been in feeders longer than any other classification.

Above10200

If you want to be a driver sign up the worst they can say is no, you will be a swing driver and you might not be driving all the time . But if you want to be a driver this is your first step.