Question about health ins

Softconcrete

I work in MA and I read that we have to average 250 hrs a quarter as a part timer. But someone told me that if you start your shift and you get offered to go home you will still get credit for that days work of hours toward health ins. Is this true? I try to take as much time off as I can but I don't want to pay health ins again. Thank you

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
So lemme understand this correctly, you want to just do the bare minimum so you don't lose your bennies. Is UPS supplying a job or welfare, I'm confused.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

So lemme understand this correctly, you want to just do the bare minimum so you don't lose your bennies. Is UPS supplying a job or welfare, I'm confused.
I have guys that will work for an hour and happily go home. Not sure what the point is when the check at the end of the week is 35 bucks.

Oak

There is a letter hanging in our center. It states (NOT an exact quote) "Part timers are guaranteed 3.5 hours each day you work. Failure to work your 3.5 hour guarantee could seriously jeopardize your pension and benefits."

This is because UPS pays the union for 20 hours at x amount for each employee that works their 17.5 hours each week. "If" an employee works less than the guaranteed 17.5 hours, UPS pays the union for the actual hours worked at the same x amount.

This could easily make a very large difference in what the union has available to invest in our pension and benefits.

People, WORK YOUR GUARANTEE EVERYDAY! Hell, I'm glad to go pick up cigarette butts to get my 3.5 each day if that's what they want. Whatever it takes.

I love to smile at them and do whatever. They seem to know they lost and move on fairly quickly.

arice11

Almost everyone I know in my preload has another job that they go to. Some will only work 3 hours or less everyday. This seems to be the way to go, as you still retain benefits but also frees you up to do what you want the rest of the day.
Not a bad idea, just tough to do consistently

Softconcrete

Yeah I have full time job during the morning. Been working here 5 years so losing a few hours each week isn't too bad for me. But last quarter I was hit with a bill. Don't want to lose hours and be hit with a bill

UPSGUY72

Only hours worked / paid count. In Ma you get to keep your union run healthcare only if UPS pays into it the minimum amount. UPS only pays in based on the hours you get PAID for. If you work an hour and go home you UPS only pays in 1 hour.

So who ever told you that lied to you or they just don't have a clue.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

JB, I know more than a few that work just for the healthcare. Mostly self employed folks.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
JB, I know more than a few that work just for the healthcare. Mostly self employed folks.
I understand where those folks are coming from, but if you don't wanna be here but want the benefits for it, it hurts our bargaining strength as they couldn't care less if the company shuts down, they have no skin in the game.

Fighter

I work in MA and I read that we have to average 250 hrs a quarter as a part timer. But someone told me that if you start your shift and you get offered to go home you will still get credit for that days work of hours toward health ins. Is this true? I try to take as much time off as I can but I don't want to pay health ins again. Thank you
We have a woman with 25 years at our center who is 60 years old. She attempted to retire this year. Imagine her shock when she found out that she has to work another 1 3/4 years. The reason? She left before her 3 1/2 so many times that it cost her that many years. So go ahead and leave early. Just don't bitch about a low paycheck or be surprised when you discover that you don't have as many years in as you think you do. You need a set number of hours to total one year of service.

UPSGUY72

Some are based on days worked.

They shouldn't be because UPS pays into are benefits based on hours worked by each employee up to a certain number of hrs a week. That is why they send people home early because it saves the company money not only with pay but by not having to pay as much for benefits.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
We have a woman with 25 years at our center who is 60 years old. She attempted to retire this year. Imagine her shock when she found out that she has to work another 1 3/4 years. The reason? She left before her 3 1/2 so many times that it cost her that many years. So go ahead and leave early. Just don't bitch about a low paycheck or be surprised when you discover that you don't have as many years in as you think you do. You need a set number of hours to total one year of service.

Where I'm at (this may be a supplemental thing) you can "buy" service hours back. So, if you fell a hundred hours short for any given year, you can pay out of pocket in order to be vested for a year (possibly more).

I don't have details but, I know a driver that has done it.

No_Member_Name

I drive for uber/lyft full time and I only started at ups for the benefits ( don't get them till jan) so if I'm asked to go home I go ( they pay the guarantee 3.5), i average 18 hours a weeks, sometimes 16-17 and I'm usually the first one in my sort to leave

clean hairy

Almost everyone I know in my preload has another job that they go to. Some will only work 3 hours or less everyday. This seems to be the way to go, as you still retain benefits but also frees you up to do what you want the rest of the day.
Not a bad idea, just tough to do consistently
And some may work less than 3 cause they have a hot date at DQ?