Question about my surgery

Kawaiius

So i got surgery on May 7 of last year and my insurance is trying to make me pay the total 7,000 bill because they canceled my insurance because it looked like i was not workin...Now ive recently found out i was suppose to file STD(short term disability) papers but i was NEVER informed about this and i think it's messed up...also my insurance payed for my doctor visit the day before i went for surgery but didnt pay the bill afterwards? its not like i quit working at all...i was physically unable to work....is there anything i can do..or what steps should i take to try and get this fixed.

barrycold

You should of known to file for std. I don't think you can do anything about this now since this took place in May. Call your insurance and talk to them. You might have to get a lawyer to fight this. How long were you out for? Did you just notice this now?? Do you still work at UPS??

Kawaiius

Yes, i still work for them now...and its been an ongoing process...and i was told by my insurance that management/HR was suppose to inform me to file for std..as far as i knew i thought they would take care of it. and i was out for 2 months.

barrycold

I do not know what to tell you. You are suppose to take care of this when you are on std but not afterwards. I wouldn't rely on anybody to take care of this for you but yourself. What is your insurance telling you?

Kawaiius

Yes i know about the std thing now but how was i suppose to know about it then..as far as i knew nobody told me anything and i was jus goin out for surgery..i thought management was suppose to take care of it...and insurance is telling me i may have to file some appeals thing.

barrycold

If you went through your insurance handbook it tells you. Do what your insurance is telling you to do. It may be a pain in the ass because this happen last May.

Kawaiius

i understand..but what i dont understand is how they can pay for my doctors visit the day before but not my surgery the day right after...i dont understand that at all.

drewed

Shankman
its their probably because it was summitted then they saw a surgery whered youd be out for awhile it was submitted and rejected

Kawaiius

well aparently its getting fixed..i called the HR department around here and she said she can correct it...i wont get paid time but ill get the coverage for that time period.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Drewed, you should have someone tape you as you are walking across water, chaniging water in to wine and feeding the masses with scraps of bread.

I have to admit, I have been called hoity-toity, but you come across as downright condescending (at times).

The guy made a mistake, did not take care of his business, and it nearly cost him $7K. He acknowledged his error and was taking steps to fix it.
Give him a break!

trickpony1

Just remember next time, if you expect someone to wipe your ass, youre gonna end up covered in ****

How about we work for a company that actually takes the initiative, does the right thing and is pro-active regarding the needs of the employees instead of subscribing to the current policy of "if we ignore the employee's need long enough it will go away."?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
How about we work for a company that actually takes the initiative, does the right thing and is pro-active regarding the needs of the employees instead of subscribing to the current policy of "if we ignore the employee's need long enough it will go away."?
Apparently you and I don't work for the same company.:happy2:

Dark_Team_135

You should of known to file for std. I don't think you can do anything about this now since this took place in May. Call your insurance and talk to them. You might have to get a lawyer to fight this. How long were you out for? Did you just notice this now?? Do you still work at UPS??

I know plenty of people that went out for surgery and still had their insurance pay for it and follow-up Dr. visits while out and not sign up for disability. They, for whatever reason, didn't care about the payments so they didn't sign up.

I also believe (but could be wrong) that you can ask for disability payments at a later date (don't know the time limits) even if you didn't originally request it. Check with people in the Human Resources department. Keep in mind that insurance coverage is different in various areas of the country.

drewed

Shankman
Drewed, you should have someone tape you as you are walking across water, chaniging water in to wine and feeding the masses with scraps of bread.

I have to admit, I have been called hoity-toity, but you come across as downright condescending (at times).

The guy made a mistake, did not take care of his business, and it nearly cost him $7K. He acknowledged his error and was taking steps to fix it.
Give him a break!

Ok NY I understand everyone makes mistakes the point of that post is sort of you need to watch out for yourself because no one else probably will.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
When mgnt puts his code in the computer when he was off wouldnt it show disability, also if he went to the doctor on monday and had surgery on friday same week should still be covered. I thought that we were covered weekly. So if that was the case it should have been covered.

feederdriver06

former monkey slave
Your medical coverage and you STD coverage are two seperate entities-atleast for me in my district thats how it is. When I have surgery it is covered by BlueCrossBlueShield and the short term disability is covered by Aetna. Even if a disabilty claim wasn't initiated with Aetna the medical claim with BlueCross would get paid. I've been down that road. I've had surgeries on STD and on vacation time.

You should have no problem with the medical end of this but you probably don't have a case to be paid for disability now since it is the past. Just remember for the next time once you have a date to have surgery call your STD provider and initiate the claim asap.