Question about Pay

ups_wife

The new drivers, will make a little more,off the bat. But he will make alot more than they do, in a short time!
That's not the point, my point is that a driver already in a three year progression who got his 2 year increase BEFORE the contract will get paid more than those who get their progression raises after August 1st. It doesn't seem fair to me.

That's not the point, my point is that a driver already in a three year progression who got his 2 year increase BEFORE the contract will get paid more than those who get their progression raises after August 1st. It doesn't seem fair to me.
I agree with you on that!..But would you rather your husband make an exta dollar now? or make 10 bucks an hour, a year earlier?

Inthegame

It seems stupid to me that a driver who got his 24 month progression bump before august of 2013 makes more than my husband just because of timing.
In order to get a 24 month progression bump prior to August 2013, that employee would have had full time seniority prior to August 2011. Your husband didn’t start until Feb 2012. That’s why the other guy makes more.

upschuck

Had another meeting this morning with the Center Manager and Business Agent. This is what was decided.
If you were in progression prior to Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 raise. If after getting the .70 you stll make less then the new rate, then you go to the new rate.
Example: Driver started June 2013 $16.10, after seniority $17.25, Aug 1 .70=$17.95, new rate is $18.75 so driver goes to $18.75.

Now I know there will people here say thats all wrong. Thats fine if you want to get payed less then this, then do nothing. Me on the other hand will be happy to see my fellow drivers get the bigger checks.
Where I'm at, a center manager can't make that decision. Labor manger makes the call. Know of a case right now that center manager agrees with us, but labor is dragging their feet.

Inthegame

Had another meeting this morning with the Center Manager and Business Agent. This is what was decided.
If you were in progression prior to Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 raise. If after getting the .70 you stll make less then the new rate, then you go to the new rate.
Example: Driver started June 2013 $16.10, after seniority $17.25, Aug 1 .70=$17.95, new rate is $18.75 so driver goes to $18.75.

Now I know there will people here say thats all wrong. Thats fine if you want to get payed less then this, then do nothing. Me on the other hand will be happy to see my fellow drivers get the bigger checks.
I have a feeling this issue will be decided a bit above your center manager’s level. It’s not a matter of whether one wants to be paid less, it’ll be how the language is interpreted. UPS has a creative way of operating and chisels at every opportunity. I hope your interpretation stands but I believe referencing the last paragraph of NM Art 41, Sec 2, gives UPS the right to continue the old progression rates for those entering FT prior to Aug 1, 2013. But as others have correctly pointed out, the GWI’s also apply. If that does not occur, grievances will follow.

Quigley

I guess all I can do now is wait and see what happens. Should know something first part of next week. Will post then. By the way the labor manager has already made the decision on part timers and they are getting exactly what the contract says. Its going to be interesting how he rules on full time since its the same language.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I have been told the negotiating committee from the central region is sitting down to figure this mess out. The Union chair has told us that no seniority driver should be making less than a new hire. Not sure when it will be decided how to fix it but I hope to hear some news soon. We have several drivers in the same situation.

Quigley

I have been told the negotiating committee from the central region is sitting down to figure this mess out. The Union chair has told us that no seniority driver should be making less than a new hire. Not sure when it will be decided how to fix it but I hope to hear some news soon. We have several drivers in the same situation.

Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/wage-progression-update.356342/#ixzz31zPUOmHq

Big Bad Wolf

When your husband comes home from work, you should give him anything he wants. ANYTHING. He puts up with a ton of BS for your family's happiness. Show him some extra special love.

Where are you pigs now?

Inthegame

Had a meeting with labor today. This is whats happening in our local. If you are in progression as of Aug 1 2013, you get the .70 cent raise. If the .70 cent raise puts your hourly rate at less then what the new rate is, you get the new rate. If the .70 cent raise puts you over the new rate, you get the higher rate.
Example: Driver is making $17.25 per hour + .70 = $17.95 New rate is $18.75. Driver will get the new rate of $18.75.
Because of the retro checks being processed right now, payroll will not do any payroll adjustments on the new rate till the retro checks are all processed, at which point they will do new wage rates and back pay.
Now I know there will be those that will say its not right and I'm full of it but thats ok, this is what the drivers are getting and no amount of critisism will change that.
The IBT sent out a full time progression chart today. Anyone in progression as of 8/1/13 gets the GWI's plus the three year progression chart from the '08-'13 CBA but will not receive the higher rate of the four year progression, so yes some higher seniority employees will make less new employees for periods of their progression (as I suspected). I was hoping your scenario would play out but that's not the case. The 3 year folks still make out better as they'll get to top rate faster and with the GWI's will exceed 4 year progression wages for several months per progression year.

Quigley

The IBT sent out a full time progression chart today. Anyone in progression as of 8/1/13 gets the GWI's plus the three year progression chart from the '08-'13 CBA but will not receive the higher rate of the four year progression, so yes some higher seniority employees will make less new employees for periods of their progression (as I suspected). I was hoping your scenario would play out but that's not the case. The 3 year folks still make out better as they'll get to top rate faster and with the GWI's will exceed 4 year progression wages for several months per progression year.
Well if thats true then there will a lot of grievences filed. Will just have to wait and see what happens.

grgrcr88

Here it is. This is some bull:censored2: if you ask me!!

Attachments

• UPS_FullTimeWageFlier-051914.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 117

Inthegame

Here it is. This is some bull:censored2: if you ask me!!
The language allowing GWI’s for existing progression employees, survived from the ’08-’13 CBA, so if anything, it’s old bullpoop. The first sentence in Art 41 Sec 2 (c) states, “The progression for employees entering a pkg, feeder, or other FT job after August 1, 2013 shall be as follows…”and the new rates are listed. Existing progression employees are not entering the FT job after Aug 1, as they’re already there. The last sentence in Art 41 sec 2 sub (c) (also survived from the last CBA) states the prior progression rates apply for those already in progression.
While I agree it appears amiss, the language is being followed and the financial advantage is still with the three year guys.

grgrcr88

The language allowing GWI’s for existing progression employees, survived from the ’08-’13 CBA, so if anything, it’s old bullpoop. The first sentence in Art 41 Sec 2 (c) states, “The progression for employees entering a pkg, feeder, or other FT job after August 1, 2013 shall be as follows…”and the new rates are listed. Existing progression employees are not entering the FT job after Aug 1, as they’re already there. The last sentence in Art 41 sec 2 sub (c) (also survived from the last CBA) states the prior progression rates apply for those already in progression.
While I agree it appears amiss, the language is being followed and the financial advantage is still with the three year guys.

I have read the language and am well aware of what it says. I and many others were told by several high ranking Union officers in the Central region that no seniority driver would ever be making less per hour than a new hire.

I was skeptical because of the language but did hold out hope. It is still bull:censored2:. What Union negotiator in their right mind would allow someone that's been working for more than a year as a driver(and possibly several years part time waiting to get there) to make less money than someone that just walked in off the street. If the Hoffa/Hall folks thought they were disliked by a small majority of members just wait and see what this does for them!!

Tiffany Tinapple

If it helps at all my husband and I are experiencing the same problem. He went to the union about it and they are saying no raise until he maxes out next august. But he is still waiting to hear about it there still may have been a mistake because a co worker who was hired on around the same time as him did get retro pay for more then over 2,000 and got the raise so who knows. The pay is nice other then that ups never knows up from down and treats everyone like crap and then my husband and his friends bring the crap home and then it effects us too. I'm sorry you all are going through this hope it gets figured out !

upschuck

Unless they are red circled at a rate higher than progression, then they will get their yearly progression raise. If he will top out next August, the he should have gotten a retro check.