Question about possible injury

Softconcrete

I have been working at UPS about 7.5 years... been in sort aisle about 5. The other day I lifted a heavy box above my head and felt something not right in my shoulder. It’s been sensitive and a little sore... not really horrible pain. I was going to wait to see if Ignacio went away but someone told me I should file a report and just left them know that something may have happened. I’ve never had an injury before and didn’t really want it on my record but if I damaged my shoulder I want it to be taken care of. What’s the best way to go about it?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have been working at UPS about 7.5 years... been in sort aisle about 5. The other day I lifted a heavy box above my head and felt something not right in my shoulder. It’s been sensitive and a little sore... not really horrible pain. I was going to wait to see if Ignacio went away but someone told me I should file a report and just left them know that something may have happened. I’ve never had an injury before and didn’t really want it on my record but if I damaged my shoulder I want it to be taken care of. What’s the best way to go about it?

Tell your boss what happened

Whose Ignacio?

Star B

White Lightening
You have to report it. The sooner you do, the less likely they will deny you. I've done reports with my manager saying "I fell at $address on my ass. slippery driveway and a slope that I wasn't able to drive up and on the way down I lost my footing." "i'm ok but i'm letting you know"

IESucks

As a 35 year veteran of several injuries and surgerys with ups please listen..... Never ever file a report after the fact. Never ever tell friends or coworkers that you may have hurt yourself , keep it to yourself. Listen, if it doesn't get better and you think it needs medical attention...start from scratch. Make sure you are following the safe work methods and pick a time that you hurt it, albeit after the fact. For instance let's say my shoulder has been hurting for a year or so,and is getting worse. I notice an over 70 lb in my truck and decide today's the day. I correctly lift or move package but felt something in my shoulder that isn't normal. I call my sup or manager(driver in this example) and tell them I have been hurt etc. Insurance must have a time and place. Not a maybe. Trust me, been there and done that. Several times.

35years

Gravy route
Make sure you remember the exact date and time you first notice it, also weight of the box and any witnesses..
If the discomfort you feel now becomes worse when you lift a box in the future, report it immediately!

If you do not, Liberty Mutual might try to claim you did it outside of work.

If it was another employee who told you to report it then it is possible if you have a dispute with Liberty Mutual they might get a statement by that employee, so be aware.

It is always best to report an injury immediately. But I believe you have up to 30 days by law to report it.

Insist that an official first report of injury be filled. Request and obtain a copy of the first report of injury. Insist that you see a doctor. They will send you to a UPS doctor. Do not allow the UPS manager to have a "conference" with you and the doctor...Tell him to go away and you will inform him of any restrictions the doctor sets up. Report any work restrictions immediately. You also have the right to see your own doctor in addition to the UPS doctor. I would see my own, the UPS doctor is paid by UPS and can often be biased.

Take copious notes, every conversation, every appointment, miles driven to doctor, missed work etc. etc. Keep copies of everything. Do not sign any agreement with Liberty Mutual before asking an attorney.

Remember this injury could last a life time. If you don't report it as happening at work it may cost you hundreds of thousands in the future.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Report it ASAP the longer you wait the more they can say it was not due to UPS related work. Just had a guy come back from 16 months due to shoulder injury. Due yourself a favor and protect yourself so if you are injured for a long period you will get workers comp and not some measly insurance check that will not make ends meet. This will also protect you if you have any re injury to the shoulder so there is evidence that this originally happened at work not on your personal time. Tomorrow you go and talk to management before you work and tell them what happened and bring a union steward with you.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Make sure you remember the exact date and time you first notice it, also weight of the box and any witnesses..
If the discomfort you feel now becomes worse when you lift a box in the future, report it immediately!

If you do not, Liberty Mutual might try to claim you did it outside of work.

If it was another employee who told you to report it then it is possible if you have a dispute with Liberty Mutual they might get a statement by that employee, so be aware.

It is always best to report an injury immediately. But I believe you have up to 30 days by law to report it.

Insist that an official first report of injury be filled. Request and obtain a copy of the first report of injury. Insist that you see a doctor. They will send you to a UPS doctor. Do not allow the UPS manager to have a "conference" with you and the doctor...Tell him to go away and you will inform him of any restrictions the doctor sets up. Report any work restrictions immediately. You also have the right to see your own doctor in addition to the UPS doctor. I would see my own, the UPS doctor is paid by UPS and can often be biased.

Take copious notes, every conversation, every appointment, miles driven to doctor, missed work etc. etc. Keep copies of everything. Do not sign any agreement with Liberty Mutual before asking an attorney.

Remember this injury could last a life time. If you don't report it as happening at work it may cost you hundreds of thousands in the future.
I I agree with your statements about going to your own doctor UPS doctors are biased and will write almost anything to keep you working to some degree with little to no restrictions. We had 2 guys driving with walking boots with little to no restrictions and broken bones in there foot.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
UPS is a meat grinder. Just give up on the pointless '25 years with safety yadayada' parking space in front of the building and contact your soup right away!
Here are two things you might want to know:
If your state allows it: go to your own doctor ASAP. This will help you be in control of your restrictions and time-off/rescheduling more than whatever your boss sends you to (You might live in a state where... you can only see their doctor... or you can see yours but you still also have to see theirs to 'verify')
The next step is to keep your shop stewart informed, use'em if you need'em. Then be wary about any and all paperwork/documentation that might be a ploy to degrade your case or lead to punishment.

35years

Gravy route
Remember that Liberty Mutual reps are the most dishonest uncaring individuals you will ever encounter.

They will try to deny legitimate claims if they can get away with it. They will delay payments or underpay if they can get away with it.

Know your rights, search this forum, use your resources (Union, Workers Comp hotline etc.)

35years

Gravy route
If your state allows it: go to your own doctor ASAP. This will help you be in control of your restrictions and time-off/rescheduling more than whatever your boss sends you to (You might live in a state where... you can only see their doctor... or you can see yours but you still also have to see theirs to 'verify')
The next step is to keep your shop stewart informed, use'em if you need'em. Then be wary about any and all paperwork/documentation that might be a ploy to degrade your case or lead to punishment.
Could not agree more.
If you see your own doctor first it will be harder for the UPS doctor to disagree with the prognosis or restrictions.

IESucks

Do as I said or you'll regret it .I once had a driver come to me and said he thinks he had a hernia. I asked when did he feel it at first . He wasn't sure. I told him to pick an upcoming delivery with a heavy box and report a pulling or strain in his abdomen . Thus providing a time and place. He ignored my advice and went to manager and reported he thought he had a hernia. He had no time and place that he knew of. He was denied workers comp by the insurance company due to no time and place of injury. He was out 8 weeks with no pay. Others here may mean well but they just don't know. Go to their doctors etc and do what they say. Most injuries are taken care of without a problem.

35years

Gravy route
Do as I said or you'll regret it .I once had a driver come to me and said he thinks he had a hernia. I asked when did he feel it at first . He wasn't sure. I told him to pick an upcoming delivery with a heavy box and report a pulling or strain in his abdomen . Thus providing a time and place. He ignored my advice and went to manager and reported he thought he had a hernia. He had no time and place that he knew of. He was denied workers comp by the insurance company due to no time and place of injury. He was out 8 weeks with no pay. Others here may mean well but they just don't know. Go to their doctors etc and do what they say. Most injuries are taken care of without a problem.
Well I will tell you we had a driver denied because he did not report it right away. He fought it and won. By law you have up to 30 days to report it. I totally understand why you are saying it though because claim denials are not always overturned.

The OP has 3 options:
1 Be honest, report it now... that it has become painful and not just bothersome. Give them an exact day and best estimation of time of first occurrence. Tell them you thought it might go away. They may try to deny; but the truth is on his side and I have seen the denial overturned several times.

2 Continue to work and wait till he hurts it worse. Pretend you felt nothing prior. This provides a specific time. It is a huge risk because he is not disclosing the initial discomfort he has felt. He would also be risking his job if the person he disclosed it to tells a different story than his.

3 Continue to work until it gets worse. Then report it as an injury but disclose he had felt discomfort due to lifting a box at work on the earlier date. This is honest, but may lead to a claim denial that would have to be fought. He also risks further injury.

I would always go with the truth. There is great power in having the truth on your side.

IESucks

Well I will tell you we had a driver denied because he did not report it right away. He fought it and won. By law you have up to 30 days to report it. I totally understand why you are saying it though because claim denials are not always overturned.

The OP has 3 options:
1 Be honest, report it now... that it has become painful and not just bothersome. Give them an exact day and best estimation of time of first occurrence. Tell them you thought it might go away. They may try to deny; but the truth is on his side and I have seen the denial overturned several times.

2 Continue to work and wait till he hurts it worse. Pretend you felt nothing prior. This provides a specific time. It is a huge risk because he is not disclosing the initial discomfort he has felt. He would also be risking his job if the person he disclosed it to tells a different story than his.

3 Continue to work until it gets worse. Then report it as an injury but disclose he had felt discomfort due to lifting a box at work on the earlier date. This is honest, but may lead to a claim denial that would have to be fought. He also risks further injury.

I would always go with the truth. There is great power in having the truth on your side.
Sorry bud, the only option is the one I stated. It bypasses every one of your possible problems.

IESucks

Except the other employee saying he was injured last week...
Claim denied.
Unemployed.
No, he shuts his mouth and doesn't bring it up again to anyone. Experience over your opinions and stories uve heard wins.Dont overreact to a simple situation and making it a problem.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
You’re fine now but in two years when your shoulder starts hurting every single day it will be too late to report. Report it ASAP. They are gonna try to talk you out of it but if you aren’t feeling right go to the clinic.

35years

Gravy route
No, he shuts his mouth and doesn't bring it up again to anyone. Experience over your opinions and stories uve heard wins.Dont overreact to a simple situation and making it a problem.
Lots of personal experience as well.
Liberty Mutual has me on speed dial.
He has already talked about it so the cat is out of the bag.