Question about temporary disabilty (not workmens comp) and our health ins

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by RoBo, Oct 5, 2012.

  1. RoBo

    RoBo UPS robot no more

    I may be taking a few weeks off for an elective surgery and wanted to arm myself with some information.

    From what I've read, temporary state disability covers 2/3 of a persons (gross?) income?

    I have also read that the income is not taxable, therefore the lost wages may be minimal?

    I am a 23 year full timer. If I am off for 3-4 weeks, will I lose my UPS provided health insurance? This is very concerning to me...
    I am in California if that makes a difference on what kind of hours are needed to keep yearly benefits.

    Thanks so much for any info!!
  2. poophappens

    poophappens Member

    I was on disability a couple years ago and you have to go your first week without pay then it kicks in after that. I received around 840$ each week and remember you will still be paying your union dues so don't be shocked when they take it out of your check weekly when you get back.
  3. Overpaid Union Thug

    Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

    My state doesn't have temp disability but the union (Central States) does. It is definitely NOT 2/3 of gross income. It is $300/week before taxes! But hey that's better than nothing. It allows us to keep our insurance and there is a waiver for union dues during that time.
  4. bluehdmc

    bluehdmc Well-Known Member

    Every state is different. In NJ we can either collect from the state or an employer provided plan, the employer plan can't be more restrictive or less than the state plan. I've collected it's subject to federal income tax but not state tax in NJ. Our's is provided by UPS trough Aetna. As far as your benefits being covered that depends on your supplemental, if not you'd have the option of paying them under COBRA.
  5. Johney

    Johney Well-Known Member

    You need to contact your insurance provider to see what they are responsible for. The question you are asking here will get you more confused than anything. This type of coverage seems to vary from area to area. While I have the same coverage as big arrow up, that does not match poophappens. So you see my point.
  6. UnconTROLLed

    UnconTROLLed perfection

    Here in NE, you need the minimum of 400 hours in the Jan-Mar Apr-Jun July-Sept Oct-Dec quarters. That is for FT.
    If you miss 3-4 weeks, you would need overtime to catch up to 400.
  7. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Single digit midget!

    Why not schedule two of your five vacation weeks to coincide with this surgery?
  8. barnyard

    barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

    Every state is different. The only way to get a real answer is going to be to call your union office and possibly your the state office that may handle that. Use google to find the government office and take it from there.

    Good luck to you.
  9. helenofcalifornia

    helenofcalifornia Well-Known Member

    In CA we also lose our first week off as non-paid. Here it is non-taxable so you will def be in a lower tax bracket if you stay out awhile. I also get a withdraw card from my union so I am not dinged for the union dues while out on disability. Our health provider (Bay Area Delivery Drivers) picks up the first 6 months of benies, then UPS picks up the next if you will be out that long. (You have to petition for the additional 6 months benefits from UPS.)

    Also our health provider, Bay Area DD, will pay you $50 a week for the first 6 months. (about $35 after taxes). If you are in any danger of losing your job somehow (and I don't know why anyone would) you should apply also for FMLA. And drivers receive their weekly disability check based on how many hours they have put in the previous quarters. They skip the last quarter and then count the next 4 quarters as the baseline from which to calculate your check. Some of our drivers get $1000 a week. I can't believe how different the rates of pay are from state to state. No wonder people go out on comp instead of disability. I personally would have a hard time living on $300 a week.
  10. brown bomber

    brown bomber brown bomber

    totally agree...your 1st 6 months, are covered through Central States...and also your Insurance....after that it's LTD ( long term disability)...and the 1st 6 months of LTD are still covered by Central States...........then you're hung out to dry, COBRA or find your own coverage