Question about the 10 day grievance period.

aiian

Looking to file a 9.5 grievance (I'm already on the list) for the week ending July 12th.

I get that I'm supposed to grieve within ten days but...

Is that ten calendar days, ten business days, ten working days (I was on vacay last week) and so on?

I know I should have filed upon returning to work Monday but I wasn't planning on grieving until yesterday's bogus warning letter which my on-road told me to grieve... Gotta figure out how to do that as well I guess.

Anyway, is it too late to turn my grievance in tomorrow or not?

stink219

There is 2 different issues. You weren't gonna file 9.5 but now will because of a warning letter? That is retaliatory. But beyond that, what is the warning letter for?

outta hours

Ten calendar days. Waiting until the last minute makes it harder for your local to complete the process. The grievance has to be mailed & postmarked to the company within the 10 period. Grievances not received by the company in a timely manner (10 days) are thrown out. No excuse for waiting until the last day. Many post offices close early on certain days. No reason that someone from the local has to rush to the post office at the last minute because of you.

Don't play "let's make a deal" with management & your grievance. I've seen it many times. Driver says " well if you do this for me I won't file". Weakens the language & shows that you can be persuaded by management to allow contract violations. By simply sweetening the pot for you as you look the other way while they violate you or your other union brothers rights.

As far as the warning letter you also have 10 days to file your appeal. So do it today.

aiian

The warning letter is for picking up an on demand pick up 3 minutes past the commit time... my mistake. Lost track of time.

I wasn't worried about the 9.75 hour day until they decides until they made an issue over 3 minutes.

I also wanted to file because I haven't made 9.5 yet this week.

aiian

Also, doesn't the discipline have to be given within 10 days as well?

The missed commit was on the 11th and the warning letter didn't come till Wednesday, the 24th.

outta hours

Yes. The 10 day time frame applies to the company as well. In my region the letter has to be given in person at the time of the meeting discussing the issue. Warning letters that are mailed are invalid.

You still need to file a protest letter. Stating the date and time of the alleged infraction by you. And the date the letter was received. Also check with your steward or BA & find out if the warning letter has to be given in person. It sounds likely that it will be dismissed.

stink219

Yes. The 10 day time frame applies to the company as well. In my region the letter has to be given in person at the time of the meeting discussing the issue. Warning letters that are mailed are invalid.

You still need to file a protest letter. Stating the date and time of the alleged infraction by you. And the date the letter was received. Also check with your steward or BA & find out if the warning letter has to be given in person. It sounds likely that it will be dismissed.
Boom! This is the correct process. Follow this post and you'll be fine.

aiian

As far as the warning letter... the eff up was on the 11th. The warning letter is dated July 17th but it wasn't given to me until the 24th (we don't get them mailed, we're simply called into the center manager 's office during the PCM) how does that play into the 10 day period on their part?

stink219

Where you told on the 24th or did you receive a copy on the 24th. Management fulfills its obligation by holding a disciplinary meeting. They can tell you that you are receiving a warning letter. If its dated the 17th, that's when your disciplinary meeting should have been. If your only meeting was on the 24th, your in the clear. Unless you were on vacation for a week.

oldngray

nowhere special
if he was on vacation isn't UPS required to give him the warning letter the first day he is back ( the Monday)? I got one thrown out because it wasn't timely - manager was too busy that Monday and then tried to stick it to me the next day.

aiian

It's all making sense now. Is the practice in your building "work days" or "calendar days"?

I'm not sure. That was the gist if my first post.

Funny thing is my center manager was on vacation last week too. There's no way in hell he came in and typed up that warning letter whilst on vacation.

aiian

I asked a steward this morning about the 9.5 grievance and be said I only have 5 days on that one so I guess I missed that boat.

On to the next one.

rowan

Did not know we can get in trouble for the commit time. A lot of times I'm way off never had a issue cross my fingers.

aiian

Did not know we can get in trouble for the commit time. A lot of times I'm way off never had a issue cross my fingers.

I don't think it's usually an issue around here either. This whole ordeal stems from me being on a new route and being .75 over every day. The guy who bid off of it was a early arriver / runner / lunch skipper and clearly I am not.

aiian

We can't send them back. We have to accept them the argue with the center via ODS.

As you would imagine, it's very ​productive.

oldngray

nowhere special
when you get an on call hit override and type reason. You will need to keep doing it because they will always ignore the first time you reject it.