Question about the UPScareers site and "Package Delivery Driver" job listings.

Driver

Fresh meat for you guys and gals this being my first post and all. =)

Im curious about these job listings on the UPS website. Some say full time package delivery driver. I can only assume these are possibilities for "off the street" hires. Although I'm sure if there are PT's at these locations willing to step up that the job posting would vanish in a glimpse.

None of the listings are in my area..yet. And possibly may never show up but if they do I'll be sure to jump on it.

I've had my CDL A class since last September and have been driving tractor-trailers and 30' box trucks for a 'drink' vendor 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Long story short, the company has tanked and soon I'll be starting at Express fulltime which will gain me more driving experience and route experience.

So, what I'm getting at is do you think someone with my experience would qualify for an open position if one opened up locally and wasn't taken from within?

I know that I wouldn't survive on a PT position's wages per week compared to what I've made in the past with family to support, mortgage.

Also on the website for careers I narrowed the search down to Package Delivery Driver and come up with 188 hits! Some say fulltime package driver while others say seasonal, yadda yadda. Seems there are a lot of open positions out there. I don't see how there could be so many posted and not already taken from within that hub, wouldn't atleast a few guys or gals try and jump in before its even posted publicly?

​Thanks.

Michigan

Wondering the same thing.

I just applied for a "full-time package delivery driver" position and I'm hoping its not seasonal-temporary full time.

balland chain

Fresh meat for you guys and gals this being my first post and all. =)

Im curious about these job listings on the UPS website. Some say full time package delivery driver. I can only assume these are possibilities for "off the street" hires. Although I'm sure if there are PT's at these locations willing to step up that the job posting would vanish in a glimpse.

None of the listings are in my area..yet. And possibly may never show up but if they do I'll be sure to jump on it.

I've had my CDL A class since last September and have been driving tractor-trailers and 30' box trucks for a 'drink' vendor 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. Long story short, the company has tanked and soon I'll be starting at Express fulltime which will gain me more driving experience and route experience.

So, what I'm getting at is do you think someone with my experience would qualify for an open position if one opened up locally and wasn't taken from within?

I know that I wouldn't survive on a PT position's wages per week compared to what I've made in the past with family to support, mortgage.

Also on the website for careers I narrowed the search down to Package Delivery Driver and come up with 188 hits! Some say fulltime package driver while others say seasonal, yadda yadda. Seems there are a lot of open positions out there. I don't see how there could be so many posted and not already taken from within that hub, wouldn't atleast a few guys or gals try and jump in before its even posted publicly?

​Thanks.

Hi, I am in feeders and many years ago nobody from inside the building signed up for feeders...One of my former co-workers was hired off the street for a feeder job..He was there about 5 years and was tired of being on the bottom of the seniority list and quit.. So, you may have a chance to get a feeder job. I would check daily, and if your willing to move that may increase your chances.. SO, long story short, they have hired tractor trailer drivers off the street.. As far as the jobs available for package drivers, some of the part timers don't want those jobs.. Hell, when I started it was about 7-9 years of PT before you had a chance of a full time job, that was back in the 80's...You do have a chance to get a position, just stay on top of it. GL

Michigan

Wondering the same thing.

I just applied for a "full-time package delivery driver" position and I'm hoping its not seasonal-temporary full time.[/QUOTE good luck with that

I'm thinking its too good to be true
it does say this though

UPS is accepting applications for full-time Package Delivery Drivers. This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. A DOT physical exam is required. Package Delivery Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills, including the ability to operate a vehicle equipped with a standard (manual) transmission. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live.Package Delivery Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays.

UPSjedi41

My application said the same thing a few months ago. It ended up being seasonal driving only. I could be wrong but even off the street hires generally have to be a seasonal hire for a season or 2 to be considered for a permanent.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My application said the same thing a few months ago. It ended up being seasonal driving only. I could be wrong but even off the street hires generally have to be a seasonal hire for a season or 2 to be considered for a permanent.

They don't, but UPS can hire only a limited number of off-the-street drivers. Given that the jobs attract enormous interest, it makes sense to "audition" candidates during the free period and pick the ones it likes best.

Despite oodles of many low-count BC posters bragging they were just offered an off-the-street job -- before ever stepping into a package car, beyond the road test -- I doubt it happens often, if ever.

PT Car Washer

Drop a lot of "off the street hires" in the first two weeks of trying to qualify. A lot of people will say "I'll do anything for $32.00 an hour", until they find out what it means.

S

serenity now

I'm thinking its too good to be true
it does say this though

UPS is accepting applications for full-time Package Delivery Drivers. This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 70 lbs. A DOT physical exam is required. Package Delivery Drivers must have excellent customer contact and driving skills, including the ability to operate a vehicle equipped with a standard (manual) transmission. Qualified applicants must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state that they live.Package Delivery Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform.

Full-time UPS employees work eight or more hours each weekday (Monday through Friday) and typically do not work on weekends or selected holidays.

Should read: This is a physical, fast-paced, outdoor position that involves continual lifting, lowering and carrying packages that typically weigh 25 - 35 lbs. and may weigh up to 150 lbs.

Probably just an innocent oversight. Anyway, if you're writing ad copy ( and not actually doing the lifting ) what's another 80 lbs.

My little pwny

First time poster here, but have an experience to share about this. I have little driving experience and was looking for a UPS driver job. A friend of mine is good friends with a driver who knows people in higher up hiring positions and they put in a good word for me for a part time position. Anyway once I talked with the person who hires people for these jobs he said most of the normal package handlers take the part time positions when they become available. He did however open up the online application and made it ony viewable to me. It sounds like they try and fill the positions with people they know first.

Howe909

yes its lame that ups lets out side ppl go staight to full time ibeen waiting for over 7 years for anything that get 8+ hours.. currentlyi work the pre-load and for that last2 years work the night sort, also part owner of a shop and work another part time job i would move if to get full time

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

yes its lame that ups lets out side ppl go staight to full time ibeen waiting for over 7 years for anything that get 8+ hours.. currentlyi work the pre-load and for that last2 years work the night sort, also part owner of a shop and work another part time job i would move if to get full time

Waa waa waa.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
First time poster here, but have an experience to share about this. I have little driving experience and was looking for a UPS driver job. A friend of mine is good friends with a driver who knows people in higher up hiring positions and they put in a good word for me for a part time position. Anyway once I talked with the person who hires people for these jobs he said most of the normal package handlers take the part time positions when they become available. He did however open up the online application and made it ony viewable to me. It sounds like they try and fill the positions with people they know first.

Here is a copy of the application for PT:

ups-application.png
ups-application.png

didyousheetit

Drop a lot of "off the street hires" in the first two weeks of trying to qualify. A lot of people will say "I'll do anything for $32.00 an hour", until they find out what it means.

I remember years ago we had a off the street hire was out for about 4 hours. He called the center told them to get the truck he wouldn't do this job for a 100 dollars an hour

Michigan

I remember years ago we had a off the street hire was out for about 4 hours. He called the center told them to get the truck he wouldn't do this job for a 100 dollars an hour

lol...... wow is it that bad?

I thought being a mail carrier was bad but I know UPS can't be no worse

am I wrong? lol.