Question about tracking info not being available

UPS_Customer

The last two items I've ordered from a retailer in MN give a tracking number (starting with a 1Z) but for 2-3 days now, all I get from UPS.com is the message:
"A label for this shipment has been created, but UPS does not yet have possession of this shipment. Once we receive the shipment, the tracking status will be updated.".

The retailer says it has been shipped but the postal service will be handling it and they don't offer tracking. In the past, when I've gotten tracking numbers, the progress is shown until it gets turned over to the USPS locally for actual delivery. Is this something new where UPS no longer provides ANY progress info for items to be turned over to USPS? The retailer has been very reliable in the past and I doubt the packages are just sitting in their warehouse with mailing labels affixed but that UPS hasn't picked up yet.

If it was ordered before last Friday it would have sat at least until Monday or Tuesday. Is the retailer closed for the week in some fashion? Some are?

Beyond that the message was correct. If we don`t have it we can`t move it.

UPS_Customer

I actually found out the real reason for no tracking info. The MN retailer sends items on a special UPS truck to their east coast warehouse in NJ and no tracking info appears online during this time. It then gets shipped to the local post office of the east coast customer, with tracking info. Perhaps other online merchants do this as well. I'm sure some of you UPS folks are familiar with this process.

Some do a process where the business has a broker (outside private driver) take their trailer full of packages to a UPS sorting facility and once there UPS takes over. It`s common at the building I`m out of. Cabalas was one to name over the recent peak period. Once at the building it is unloaded, sorted, and sent to the delivery center. If this broker is delayed in getting to his destination that would be out of UPS` hands.

Could the recent weather on the east coast have factored into the delay?

UPS_Customer

Fyi, here's the actual quote from the online merchant I purchased from (Bargainoutfitters.com which, I believe is owned by sportsmansguide.com, both in St Paul, MN):

"Our East Coast deliveries get put on a dedicated UPS truck right at our warehouse, so they do not receive a scan until they reach the UPS East Coast Hub in Secaucus NJ , which usually takes 3-4 business days from when the package is shipped out from our warehouse in St Paul MN .
"

Anyway, tracking info is now showing up after leaving UPS in NJ. I doubt weather was involved and for all I know, it might take a couple of days to get a truck full of boxes before they even leave MN. Fwiw, bargainoutfitters.com is a good place to do business with. If you do, I'd recommend you first get on their emailing list because they send out discount coupons, etc. I have no connection with them other than that I'm a satisfied customer, just like I always am with UPS.

tieguy

Banned
customer is drop shipping the package to save shipping costs. by paying someone to truck the packages to our a building in that zone he pays zone one rates rather then zone 3 or 4 rates.

secaucus is meadowlands I believe?

you should see a scan by monday if its been moving for three days.

UPS_Customer

customer is drop shipping the package to save shipping costs. by paying someone to truck the packages to our a building in that zone he pays zone one rates rather then zone 3 or 4 rates. secaucus is meadowlands I believe?
you should see a scan by monday if its been moving for three days.

So I guess when they say "dedicated UPS truck", it's not 100% accurate. Maybe it's actually a truck which is dedicated to delivering to UPS in NJ. You're right about Secaucus being in the Meadowlands area. It's not that far from the areas near the NJ Turnpike where, when I was a kid driving through with my parents, my Dad would yell "Roll up the windows" (because of the refineries and chemical plants there.....PU)

Scans have already shown up....my purchase is in Harrisburg, PA so far.

tieguy

Banned
lol. only about 3 hours away. I wonder if they diverted due to weather in the northeast. I didnt think Harrisburg normally recieved drop ships I could be wrong.

Most drop ships are sent by a non ups trucking company. They forecast the load so we know its coming otherwise we have no involvement in the actual movement to us.

brownedout

secaucus is meadowlands I believe?

That would be correct tie. Speaking of Secaucus/Meadowlands lots of comings and goings from that building (Management moves) and others nearby were recently announced on upsers.com. Nice trend I'd like to see continue

raceanoncr

customer is drop shipping the package to save shipping costs. by paying someone to truck the packages to our a building in that zone he pays zone one rates rather then zone 3 or 4 rates.

Not necessarily, tie. Could be sleeper, rail, relay (although, somewhere along the line, a hub or center would have to be inputed), all of which would possibly not show up on a scan.

The trailer could very well be UPS decicated trailer.

Could be drop ship or could be UPS using alternative ways of getting it there without unloading at each hub along the way then loading back up to continue journey.

tieguy

Banned
Not necessarily, tie. Could be sleeper, rail, relay (although, somewhere along the line, a hub or center would have to be inputed), all of which would possibly not show up on a scan.

The trailer could very well be UPS decicated trailer.

Could be drop ship or could be UPS using alternative ways of getting it there without unloading at each hub along the way then loading back up to continue journey.

possible if we missed the first scan at origin.