Question- driver currently trying to qualify

BurntSienna

I know you veteran guys don't care about the numbers but I need to watch them very closely right now as I am busting my butt trying to qualify. Every morning when I check my route I look to see what time they expect me to complete my last stop. That time often doesn't seem realistic. Do they factor in 1 hour for lunch? I've had days when I ran at or near scratch and I didn't finish my last stop until well after the time they expect (sometimes an hour or more) What about PM time once you are back at the building? Some days there is a line at the gas pump, or it's a challenge to park in the assigned bay. Are they calculating everything up until the moment I punch out? Need to find ways to shave minutes off. Every minute counts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

First of all, don't worry about any of the times on your Orion manifest. They are based on leaving the building right at start time and having no traffic or other delays while on road.

Second, are you completing your turn in paperwork while waiting to pump gas? Try to use any idle time that you may have to organize your pickups to ensure a smooth PM process. This includes segregating your NDA and any packages that have to go to the clerk.

Third, while I applaud you for taking your full lunch, you may want to either skip part of it or use part of it to sort what you have left. DO NOT enter a lunch and then work (deliver) while on lunch.

Fourth, you will qualify as long as you continue to show improvement each day.

Delivery!!!

The orion computer times don't match their production allowance times. Probably on purpose to try to get us to go faster. Our orion computers do have about a fifty minute break figured in. It doesnt specifically say break, but if you look at the times there is usually 2 stops that are far apart in time to accommodate for the break.

battym

don't worry what the computer says..don't hit anything and don't get hurt.sorting during lunch will give a great advantage while qualifying.soon as you get back to the building and stop for the first time (getting gas or whatever) hit the inside building time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I know you veteran guys don't care about the numbers but I need to watch them very closely right now as I am busting my butt trying to qualify. Every morning when I check my route I look to see what time they expect me to complete my last stop. That time often doesn't seem realistic. Do they factor in 1 hour for lunch? I've had days when I ran at or near scratch and I didn't finish my last stop until well after the time they expect (sometimes an hour or more) What about PM time once you are back at the building? Some days there is a line at the gas pump, or it's a challenge to park in the assigned bay. Are they calculating everything up until the moment I punch out? Need to find ways to shave minutes off. Every minute counts.
First of all, don't worry about any of the times on your Orion manifest. They are based on leaving the building right at start time and having no traffic or other delays while on road.

Second, are you completing your turn in paperwork while waiting to pump gas? Try to use any idle time that you may have to organize your pickups to ensure a smooth PM process. This includes segregating your NDA and any packages that have to go to the clerk.

Third, while I applaud you for taking your full lunch, you may want to either skip part of it or use part of it to sort what you have left. DO NOT enter a lunch and then work (deliver) while on lunch.

This is what happens when you DON'T enter a lunch in your Diad !!!!

giphy.gif

PUT YOUR LUNCH IN AND SORT YOUR TRUCK

battym

I could be wrong but pretty sure your pm time has nothing to do with scratching or not..we've been told to do it this way.

Delivery!!!

This job is all about being efficient and organized. Coming early to set up the truck helps. I see guys write address numbers and business names on boxes to help them out. Sorting during lunch helps a ton. Don't hit curbs and be careful pulling into parking lots so the truck doesn't lean and you toss an entire shelf onto the floor. Being efficient is all about knowing your next stops. When can you deliver more than one stop from the same park location, where to park if it's a bulky stop and is it coming out the side door or rear door. Also if orion has you going to the back of a shelf for consecutive stops are you grabbing more than just the first stop and setting up the next ones so at the next ones it's grab and go.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Try to use any idle time that you may have to organize your pickups to ensure a smooth PM process. This includes segregating your NDA and any packages that have to go to the clerk.

This should be done during your pickup process, not an extra stop later. All my pickups would have their air separate (by my request) from the ground. I would always load my NDA in the RDL/RDR or on the 6999/8999 shelf. Package to going to the clerk I would normally put on the 3000 shelf with my backpack so it was ready to pull off when I was done.
Be ready so you don't have to get ready ;)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same way that I do it, except I use the 2000 section for clerk packages.

One of the first things that I notice when asked to go help someone is how disorganized their pkg cars are.

BurntSienna

I'm only taking a lunch because I was told that we have to. I'll take 10 minutes to eat something and believe me, I'm spending the rest of that time sorting.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I'm only taking a lunch because I was told that we have to. I'll take 10 minutes to eat something and believe me, I'm spending the rest of that time sorting.
Take your lunch as early as possible and sort the truck.
That will give you a few hours to get the bulk off and make room.
Snack on stuff the rest of the day.

Stay organized and don't chit chat to the customers. Don't run too fast because it will cause you to make stupid mistakes.

Fnix

Take 30 minutes to sort the truck stop by stop once you have 1000 through 4000 shelf off. Easier to sort that way because you will have more room. The rest will come with time.

putrefaction

After the first week I was always way ahead of the Orion prediction. Learn your route. Get in early and memorize your floor stops and Irregs. Run as much ground with your air as possible. Take your lunch the same time every day eat fast and set up the rest of your tuck. if you have a lot of pick ups get the phone numbers if possible to save a trip if they aren't shipping.

After the first week I was always way ahead of the Orion prediction. Learn your route. Get in early and memorize your floor stops and Irregs. Run as much ground with your air as possible. Take your lunch the same time every day eat fast and set up the rest of your tuck. if you have a lot of pick ups get the phone numbers if possible to save a trip if they aren't shipping.
Don't call the pickups.