Question for a Union Steward

Rolling Brown Out

Question for a union steward because they would most likely know this language in the contract because it's in the grey area (If you're not a union steward and you 100% know the answer, you should respond)

-I bumped a driver off his route because mine was out for 30 days. I start on it Tuesday. The thing is, I may have found a better route in the center I'm moving to and I have more seniority. Is it too late to change my route before I clock in on Tuesday or am I already locked in after notifying them of my decision?
Honestly the route is barely better so I'm not crushed if I'm not able to change it. I'm excited for both, either way. Thanks!

542thruNthru

Question for a union steward because they would most likely know this language in the contract because it's in the grey area (If you're not a union steward and you 100% know the answer, you should respond)

-I bumped a driver off his route because mine was out for 30 days. I start on it Tuesday. The thing is, I may have found a better route in the center I'm moving to and I have more seniority. Is it too late to change my route before I clock in on Tuesday or am I already locked in after notifying them of my decision?
Honestly the route is barely better so I'm not crushed if I'm not able to change it. I'm excited for both, either way. Thanks!
We'd have to know what supplemental contract your under.

Brownwind

Your supplement will help me get your answer. With out that you signed the bid or used your seniority and won so you get what you wanted.

Sorry I can’t answer without more info.

DriverNerd

Here you just cover until the next rebid
I'm in the central. In our hub if your route is eliminated (does not leave), changed more than 50%, or not run in 30 days you can bump anyone with less seniority. If your route leaves for another hub and you choose to stay you become a bid cover driver (technically you bump the lowest senior employee in your classification who usually is a cover driver). Our routes are only rebid when someone leaves for another route, bids another job, or retires.

DOK

I'm in the central. In our hub if your route is eliminated (does not leave), changed more than 50%, or not run in 30 days you can bump anyone with less seniority. If your route leaves for another hub and you choose to stay you become a bid cover driver (technically you bump the lowest senior employee in your classification who usually is a cover driver). Our routes are only rebid when someone leaves for another route, bids another job, or retires.
What if your bid route is cut every Monday, what are you permitted to do?
Here we porter or take a layoff day, not permitted to bump anyone off of their route.

Here we porter or take a layoff day, not permitted to bump anyone off of their route.
Being a Porter would be working outside of your classification. Not allowed. Unless you lose your license for a drink driving charge.

DriverNerd

You either follow your work and bump (you are not allowed to bump anyone you want) or if you don't have enough seniority you do a different assigned route. If there's extra staffing they give you the option to work or go home. The work option is driving only.

Last edited:

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
So when his route is back in, is he the driver or is it back to a cover route?

DriverNerd

So when his route is back in, is he the driver or is it back to a cover route?
If the route leaves temporarily for peak the driver retakes the route when it comes back. If it moves permanently the route is put up for bid. If the route then were to come back in the future the current bid holder would have the chance to follow it or give it up and become a cover driver. The route would then be rebid.

If you're referring to the route being out for a month and coming back, I've never seen that happen. Any time a route has been gone that long it is always eliminated. Our hub is pretty good with notification of route elimination. We never get to the 30 day mark. The driver is usually informed before it happens or at worst a week or two into it.

That being said once you bump due to elimination that's your new bid route. If your old route would return it would be put up for bid.