Question for any BA's/Stewards on BC

BrownBrokeDown

Bid sheets...I thought I had read somewhere that bid sheets for a particular job should be reposted once or twice a year depending on needs. I can't seem to find where I read it at, I may have imagined it. I know of a facility that posts a bid sheet, then keeps that bid sheet active until every person on it has had an oppurtunity to go to that job (eg including people with very little seniority while if you missed signing that bid sheet you have to wait until it is exhausted), sometimes up to 2 years. Is this something that depends on the agreement between the BA and the facility? Is this normal practice? Was I drinking when I thought I had read to the contrary?

By The Book

I believe there is new language for a bid that is to be posted in march of every year. This bid once signed is to give part time employees who have more seniority in their building to bump a lower seniority part timer who has been awarded a bid previously. I believe it was negotiated because some part timers were being past over due to age even though they had more seniority. Also if you hadn't signed a bid this year you could sign up next march and they couldn't pass you up and continue to pass you by because you didn't sign last years posting. Hope this makes sense.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
I believe there is new language for a bid that is to be posted in march of every year. This bid once signed is to give part time employees who have more seniority in their building to bump a lower seniority part timer who has been awarded a bid previously. I believe it was negotiated because some part timers were being past over due to age even though they had more seniority. Also if you hadn't signed a bid this year you could sign up next march and they couldn't pass you up and continue to pass you by because you didn't sign last years posting. Hope this makes sense.
Nope. It dosent. :beersmiley:

barnyard

KTM rider
I think you need to read the contract. I did not know that the company was required to repost a bid sheet every so often.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Basically , if it isn't in the master ,or your supplement , it's just the way your center wants to do it and that's not going to be upheld in a grievance.

BrownBrokeDown

Basically , if it isn't in the master ,or your supplement , it's just the way your center wants to do it and that's not going to be upheld in a grievance.
And that's what I was getting at. I thought at one time I had read it in the contract or supplement and skimming through i didn't see it. Sigh, guess I'll read it cover to cover for the 5th (i think) time.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
meh already found it. I misremembered it, it was for the reclassification of part time jobs. nothing to do with FT

Bid lists are posted for new FT openings/new jobs. The lists you're looking for are the preferred jobs lists for PT'ers to bid into a new classification. In my area, you're on there until you quit/go FT.

The main problem is finding the lists. Sort managers try to "hide" them so they can handpick who they want to go into small sort, clerks, etc.

fres431

Down load contract to your comp save it as a PDF and then run searches on phrase or words you are looking for. Makes it a hell of a lot easier I read master 3 times then I was thinking there's got to be a easier way of doing this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bid lists are posted for new FT openings/new jobs. The lists you're looking for are the preferred jobs lists for PT'ers to bid into a new classification. In my area, you're on there until you quit/go FT.

The main problem is finding the lists. Sort managers try to "hide" them so they can handpick who they want to go into small sort, clerks, etc.

Our center manager likes to hide bid sheets by posting them just outside of his office rather than on the bulletin board. We have had to re-bid jobs on several occasions as hourlies who wanted to bid had no idea bids had been posted.

Resident know-it-all.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our center manager likes to hide bid sheets by posting them just outside of his office rather than on the bulletin board. We have had to re-bid jobs on several occasions as hourlies who wanted to bid had no idea bids had been posted.

Resident know-it-all.

*Gasp!*

A center manager in the BOG doing underhanded things?

*Gasp again!*