Question For diabetic upsers

Any diabetics on here? Just curious how it affects your job. I am on preload at my center and I have type 1 and have to wear an insulin pump 24/7. I have had my sugar drop to 45 and had to go get a coke or a gatorade to get that boost.....it sucked. But other then that it hasn't affected me.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Not sure how it affects people in non-driving positions trying to get into driving positions, but there are drivers that lost their DOT card due to diabetes and continued to drive. Vehicles under 10,000 pounds don't require a DOT card legally.

bigbrownhen

If I understand correctly, Type 2 can drive, not Type 1. I know there is a driver in my building that is diabetic, but I think he has type 2.

brett636

We have a diabetic driver in my air group. My understanding is as long as it can be controlled strictly through diet or pills then you can drive(as is this drivers case), but if you require insulin to control it then driving is not allowed per DOT.

onestoptogo

Actually, you can drive for UPS as a type 1 diabetic taking insulin. I am living proof. You must apply for a diabetic wavier from the DOT (Google dot diabetes exemption) and it takes 6-9 months to get it. After receiving your waiver, you have to report to your endocrinologist every 3 months and have the doctor submit a report to the DOT stating you have your diabetes under control. They review you meter logs and as long as everything looks good, you get to keep your exemption. Your DOT physicals are only good for a year and you must also have a annual eye exam. So far it really has not been a problem for me.

Last edited:

brett636

Actually, you can drive for UPS as a type 1 diabetic taking insulin. I am living proof. You must apply for a diabetic wavier from the DOT (Google dot diabetes exemption) and it takes 6-9 months to get it. After receiving your waiver, you have to report to your endocrinologist every 3 months and have the doctor submit a report to the DOT stating you have your diabetes under control. They review you meter logs and as long as everything looks good, you get to keep your exemption. Your DOT physicals are only good for a year and you must also have a annual eye exam. So far it really has not been a problem for me.

A couple of questions for you. Are you package car or feeder? Also do you simply do insulin shots or are you like the original poster where you need an insulin pump on you 24/7? This is a bit of a relief for me as I have a history of diabetes in my family. So far I do not have it, but one day I might and this information could prove useful if I ever get to that point.

Wow, thats a hard blow considering it limited me from joining the military as well. Maybe I can exempt it as well. I plan on being a career driver and I just joined the union. thanks for the information on that seeing as my sups never told me anything. I will go ahead and get the ball rolling on that.

onestoptogo

A couple of questions for you. Are you package car or feeder? Also do you simply do insulin shots or are you like the original poster where you need an insulin pump on you 24/7? This is a bit of a relief for me as I have a history of diabetes in my family. So far I do not have it, but one day I might and this information could prove useful if I ever get to that point.

onestoptogo

I am a package driver. When I started driving I was not a diabetic but later had medical issues which caused me to become one. I personally use a insulin pump, but you are not required to use a pump. I get the feeling that UPS does not really like us diabetics driving, but since it is approved by the DOT they can't really do anything about it. I would not expect them to volunteer any information about this program to any drivers or potential drivers. If I was a part-time worker who was diabetic and close to making the jump to full time, I would get my waiver early and stay qualified. Use your medical benefits! It takes between 6-9 months to get the waiver so you don't want to get caught not being able drive when you get the call. If you are not ready when UPS calls, you will get passed over by less seniority workers and it could and would cost you thousands of dollars.

WhatTheHell

I too am type 1. I make sure I eat enough protein before work...usually beef. It will keep your blood sugar more stable throughout the shift without the initial blood sugar increase... thus less insulin will be needed. Most people don't like to hear it, but a low carb diet makes controlling both types of diabetes easier.

overallowed

I am type 2. The biggest hassle for me is like onestoptogo said, you have to get a DOT physical every year, instead of two years. Never skip lunch. You shouldn't anyway, but it is even more crucial when you have this going on. Other than this, it is not a problem. My age (opper 50's) is more of a problem than diabetes.