Question for drivers

Rider

Do I have to be laid off 5 consecutive days to bump lower seniority part -timers? I am a seven year driver, and I am full time. I've been driving one day per week for the past seven weeks. My center manager says I must be laid off 5 consecutive days to bump back inside the building. Art 3 in my contract book covers this but it is pretty hard to understand. I was hoping some folks could let me know how this works in their centers. Thanks and any help will be appreciated.

balland chain

I dont know of any language of a wait period before you can bump a lower seniority worker. I would call my business agent to confirm this information your center manager is giving you. Years ago, I was bumped, and the best I can recall, I bumped the man junior to me immediately so I could get my hours.. If your center manager was wrong, file on it..GL

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on your local but ours they have to post your start time for the week. If your laid off it will say laid off for the week. Then you bump part timers when that happens.

Ask around and make sure no sups are working at all.

dmorgan370

Had the same issue back when I was a new driver & was told the same thing about 5 days. After 5 days I could bump in & work both part time sorts.

Fullhouse

In south Atlantic supplement a driver may bump a part timer after one day of lay off, as long as he has more company seniority.

Rider

He doesn't think you have to be laid off 5 days. It seems that the 5 day language applies when bumping a junior driver, not taking a part time shift.

upnorth

Im lowest guy in building but i drive way more than i sort. I just got layoff all week. I dont blame people for wanting to get their hours but im new to this whole union thing and if the guy ahead of me turns down hours one week and i take them, i shouldn't get bumped the next because he's pissy. I just want to work. Yeah I'll put in my time off and try to enjoy it, and i respect the senority thing, but im not liking pety highschool crap that uses me, the union, and management to boost his ego over 40 minutes pay and theres no recourse for my electric bill.