Question for non-management folks>>>

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
no, i dont have 1200 accounts, I have about 40, and they represent about $42,000 per day in UPS revenue - about $10.6 million per year.

and you dont need me huh? you do know fedex is out there with people like me bashing our company to win business?

you are some kind of miracle worker.

I have 32 daily pickup accounts, one of which exceeds $2 million per year. I have been servicing these accounts every day for the last 15 years.

I have a 90 minute window of time in which to pick up these accounts, which involves loading about 200 packages into my truck and getting the international and air volume to the meet point so that it an be shuttled to the airport.

If I dont do my job, these customers will leave us. If my coworkers dont do their jobs, these customers will leave us.

They dont stay with us because of their "account executive". Half of them have no idea who their account exec even is, and the other half dont care. He is just some guy in a suit trying to sell them something.

They stay with us because they can count on me to be there at the same time every day to deliver and pick up their packages. They stay with us because they can count on my "lazy" ((union)) co-workers to process, sort, load and ultimately make service on those packages.

They are paying for a service. They arent paying for a salesman.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
I have 32 daily pickup accounts, one of which exceeds $2 million per year. I have been servicing these accounts every day for the last 15 years.

I have a 90 minute window of time in which to pick up these accounts, which involves loading about 200 packages into my truck and getting the international and air volume to the meet point so that it an be shuttled to the airport.

If I dont do my job, these customers will leave us. If my coworkers dont do their jobs, these customers will leave us.

They dont stay with us because of their "account executive". Half of them have no idea who their account exec even is, and the other half dont care. He is just some guy in a suit trying to sell them something.

They stay with us because they can count on me to be there at the same time every day to deliver and pick up their packages. They stay with us because they can count on my "lazy" ((union)) co-workers to process, sort, load and ultimately make service on those packages.

They are paying for a service. They arent paying for a salesman.

we are account managers and do A LOT MORE then just sell (although don't tell corporate) and yeah - we dont spend much time on the dock. you have that under control. we spend the time with the president. You tell me if the CEO of the $2 million dollar account doesnt know his account manager/sale person - then we have a problem and you should be on sales compensation.

and the "they" you are talking about are most likely not signing the contracts. understand? We are a team buddy, like it or not. you take care of your house, I'll take care of mine. If either of us don't, we both lose.

edit: and thank you for doing that pickup, seriously. my largest account is a little bit larger and feeders services them. I cant imagine how much volume that must be if it all comes from your location.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
sorry the ((())) was for sarcasm. i did forget I typed that, my bads. emotion bro - yes that was in another thread, referring to another topic. thanks for trolling me.

You are entitled to your opinion, and to express that opinion here.

You are not entitled to express that opinion and then get wonder why the very people you just insulted...the people upon whose labor you make your living....wind up being less than enthusiastic about joining "your team."

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
You are entitled to your opinion, and to express that opinion here.

You are not entitled to express that opinion and then get wonder why the very people you just insulted...the people upon whose labor you make your living....wind up being less than enthusiastic about joining "your team."

it's not MY team and I never said it was. you seriously think people are lining up to ship UPS these days - you must be old shool. YOU are the arrogant one thinking YOU are the ONLY one earning a paycheck and that you don't need supervisors, managers, or sales people.

you will continue to twist my posts into whatever serves your "us vs. them" philosphy. You can troll me all you want and cut and paste to prove your points, but please know, I am part of a team - called UPS. sounds cheesy, huh? Well I have to have that attitide to counter balance yours. Go ahead and retire and make room for someone else if you are so miserable.

I'm really not sure what your whole point of calling me out is and what purpose it serves. You feel better about yourself pissing on management? Have fun with that. I bet you go home pissed off everyday. That must be hard on you and your family.

satellitedriver

no, i dont have 1200 accounts, I have about 40, and they represent about $42,000 per day in UPS revenue - about $10.6 million per year. .
40 accounts?
Jeez,
If you slaved away 2hrs (on average) a day on each and every one of your accounts (yeah right,like that happens) , you are only being productive for 80 hrs a month.
Hell. lets double your effort and make it 160hrs a month.
Based on a 40hr work week(which I have only had three in the last 2 decades), I can only ask the question of what you are doing with your time for the other 640hrs in the month?
You are posing a premise of the value (ie; money) you bring to the table.
I am just the little mule pulling the cart.
I am a rural route driver that delivers, on average, 3 tons of pkg's a day.
I drive 200 miles in a non-powered steering 1988 pkg car in 100+ degree heat.
How do you think the $42,000 per day revenue- "you represent"- is actually achieved?
As a former cold call salesman, if you can only generate and manage 40 accounts (no matter the money involved) you are not worth your salt.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
satallite, you have no idea. these 40 accounts might each have 60-200 locations each and all have needs of UPS Freight, small package, international, supply chain (brokerage, and ocean and air freight). that 42k only represents small package.

so if you don't know, dont act like you do. i havent had a 40 hour workweek since i started at this company. I don't get paid overtime.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Drivers earn their pay. Salesmen earn their pay. The Supe hiding behind the bushes with binoculars or riding around 2 to a car following drivers, not so much. My center manager and a district guy dropped me off a misload the other day. I said who are you in town following? Before they pulled away I pointed across the street to a big account Fedex has and said while you're here go over there and drum up some business. They just laughed and drove off. Nice use of corporate resources. And you wonder why hourlies don't think much of mgmnt?

TheDick

satallite, you have no idea. these 40 accounts might each have 60-200 locations each and all have needs of UPS Freight, small package, international, supply chain (brokerage, and ocean and air freight). that 42k only represents small package.

so if you don't know, dont act like you do. i havent had a 40 hour workweek since i started at this company. I don't get paid overtime.

dang my BD can barley take care of the small pkg, much less refer customers to 800 number for all the other services we offer.
Our BD's are not clear on how the salesleads work when it comes to Freight points, so most of us dont bother.

Dont forget FedEx BD make quite a bit less than you, because they're cheaper.

M

Mike23

Bah, I've lost touch with this post. Working from 0845-2000 leaves little time for posting some weeks (stupid OT!).

As to what someone said earlier. Occasionally I will work off the clock for 5-15min just to sort my air and check my stops. That way I'm done 30min-1 hour earlier so I have time to actually have a life.

For some reason this post has been twisted and turned into me claiming to be 'super rookie' which I have NEVER once claimed to be. I've never claimed to be a butt kissing manager type either. I want off at the same time 90% of the time (like everyone else) and work late 10% of the time.

I NEVER stated ALL senior drivers are useless so I'm wondering why everyone's wanting to defend the useless senior drivers that we DO have? Again, not ALL of them are useless. Heck, doubt even half are but once you get so jaded that you can't even communicate with customers in more then just grunting at them because you're hating your job so much I'd say it's time to hangup your keys and find another gig.

It's like DS pretty much said, if you work your butt off for the employees in your area they'll love you for it.

It's something they won't get from FedEx or DHL. When you get someone who just doesn't care about their customers anymore though? Yeah, take a hike because it's not UPS you're hurting (cause I don't give a crap about UPS) but the little company that DEPENDS on your pickup for a lively hood. The small company that works the 10-12 hour days and has a family that you're taking food away from because you were just 'following union contract' by not doing their pickup that day for whatever reason.

I'm sorry, I don't think I could sleep very well at night screwing someone over like this who was nice enough to keep me employed. If someone knows someone else that can, then kudos to them because to me they aren't even human anymore and are worse then corporate UPS.

TheDick

Hi mike i dont mean to hate on ya but i sometimes get the air and stops that you pre-sorted by working off/clock and maybe asked to be add/cut from ur car.
I agree there are senior drivers that play the sys. by the rules and get away with it. But hey every big comp has a few A__Holes doesnt it?
Yeah this thread went in the ditch awhile ago. Cant wait to see that earnings report next week!!

M

Mike23

Hi mike i dont mean to hate on ya but i sometimes get the air and stops that you pre-sorted by working off/clock and maybe asked to be add/cut from ur car.
I agree there are senior drivers that play the sys. by the rules and get away with it. But hey every big comp has a few A__Holes doesnt it?
Yeah this thread went in the ditch awhile ago. Cant wait to see that earnings report next week!!

Unless your name is Alex I don't think you do :dissapointed: Alex is my air driver and I always tell'em to 'take what you think you can do' off my truck. There were days that I would have my entire top 1000 shelf full of air and half the second shelf which is why I needed help from an air driver.

I rarely ask a sup about putting it on his truck because it's HIS truck. He's asked me not to put 1030's on there (or only one at the most) because he leaves the building late.

If you are Alex, then sorry dude, didn't realize you hated helping me out that much and I really do try not to give you any at all if I can help it.

Do you all care about the earnings reports? Do you look forward to seeing the news and take personal responsibility if the numbers are not good?

Although I would like to see UPS profits soar because profits=jobs. I would rather like to see an FDA approval of Zevalin.

DS

Fenderbender
Hey salesguy,thanks for keeping this thread going.I respect you for coming back and stating your points without losing your cool.I thought we scared you off.As you have noticed we are pretty diversified as far as opinions go here except for one thing.I think that the people at the top making the decisions that affect the growth of ups should actually listen to us instead of concentrating on the the almighty dollar as an end point.
We have so much to offer,but have become dissillusioned with threats of discipline for reasons that lean towards cost cutting more than making sure we evolve fruitfully.
We have a lot of hourlies in here,a few sups,some retirees and even a former center manager as a mod.I personally think guiness is a fine beer,and would not turn down an offer to buy me a few as long as you're driving me home in your acura.You can only have one:)
The browncafe is a better place when it has representation from every facet of the company offering ideas that affect our future.

satellitedriver

satallite, you have no idea.(at least, I have a clue) these 40 accounts might(might? You should know.) each have 60-200 locations each ( You personally cover 2,400 to 8,000 locations? No way, Slick.) and all have needs of UPS Freight, small package, international, supply chain (brokerage, and ocean and air freight). that 42k only represents small package.( Please, tell me you do not claim to do all this by yourself.)

so if you don't know, dont act like you do.( Only, if you do like in kind) i havent had a 40 hour workweek since i started at this company.(How long since you started? Were you ever a driver? (Not just a 30 day wonder) I don't get paid overtime. ( Nor should you- Sales personnel should be paid a small base, plus commission. Your pay would be based on your production, not the production produced by the drivers "under" you.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sales guy

You cant blame management for surcharges - they are necessary so we can keep growing and expaning.

Who would be blame, the drivers? We didn't think of a secret list of things we can punish the customers for, and call them surcharges. Your right, your not to blame, but what we do blame you for is lying to the customer about the surcharges. Yes, that’s right, not telling someone about something to convince them to send their business to us is lying. We did’t, you did.

grow up. **** happens at work. my drivers have my cellphone number. call me everyday even though I am not suppose to follow up on small sales leads - but I do becasue it is right for the driver and the customer.

Yeah right, your cell phone number? Around here we don’t even know what the customer rep looks like, much less his phone number. Besides, it’s the small sales lead that is the back bone of our business. Yeah, the multi million dollar accounts are nice bragging points when you boys get together. But its the little accounts that pay the bulk of the costs.

you say you are better than fedex, yet some stooge for an independant contractor can do your job just as well as you - and customers are so sick of damages, lost packages

Yes sir, your true thoughts about our drivers that make things happen for the customer. Any stooge can do what you do, but me and mine, we are the elite at ups, no one but I can win over customers

oh, i just want to say this once. the reason we charge more than fedex is because we pay our drivers the most. I think that is fine becasue we also provide the best service

What, us stooges provide better service than the independent contractor stooge? Get your story straight.
You give bipolar a bad name.

just note - when we win a million dollar account - it's not becasue the driver sat in front of the CEO and won the business. its ****ing me.

Again with the its me, God, telling you poor stooges that I and I alone can build our business. But yet if its just you and you alone that is responsible for our growth, then how can you ask if we have a personal responsibility when it comes to the earning report?

did you take a pay freeze this year to help lower our costs? NO...but I did.

Ah, now that explains the hostility toward your “stooge team partners at work”

You have tried to come off as someone that cares, but yet you insult (repeatedly) the very people you seek to help care about growing the business.

And when we give you examples of severe screwups, those become our fault, after all, in your God-like vision of yourself, you cant make any stupid mistakes, can you.

Tell you what, we will take our 1000's of years worth of experiences with customers, and chuck it in the trash, to follow your ego.

Not.

satallite, you have no idea.(at least, I have a clue) these 40 accounts might(might? You should know.) each have 60-200 locations each ( You personally cover 2,400 to 8,000 locations? No way, Slick.) and all have needs of UPS Freight, small package, international, supply chain (brokerage, and ocean and air freight). that 42k only represents small package.( Please, tell me you do not claim to do all this by yourself.)
Sat, we have no idea of what goes on at UPS. WE need to stay silent and let God speak. After all
its ****ing me.

Remember, its all him

d

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Drivers earn their pay. Salesmen earn their pay. The Supe hiding behind the bushes with binoculars or riding around 2 to a car following drivers, not so much. My center manager and a district guy dropped me off a misload the other day. I said who are you in town following? Before they pulled away I pointed across the street to a big account Fedex has and said while you're here go over there and drum up some business. They just laughed and drove off. Nice use of corporate resources. And you wonder why hourlies don't think much of mgmnt?

This post sums it up...beautifully. Some might find it funny, since it happens everyday...Its nothing short of pathetic.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
UPSSALESGUY--- What we need is BD people that can make a decision IN THE FIELD, and upper management trusting the guys in the field to make the proper decision. In both times I was stabbed, if the local BD guy could have made the decision, and not had to waste time and effort in checking back with his higher ups, I think we could have gotten the business. That way you impress the costumer that you are the decision point, and the customer doesn't get a cold email or phone call informing them of UPS's decision.