Question for preloaders

Macbrother

Nope. I heard this was done a few years back at our center but was abandoned fairly quickly. We are, technically, supposed to circle the PAL label with a crayon but this is rarely done also.

laffter

Yes. We're all supposed to do it, and drivers here prefer it. It makes specific packages easier to spot.
My belt always has a shortage of sharpies. Luckily, I can go to my old belt and that sup lets me steal theirs.
Getting a brand new sharpie brings a smile to my face. Quite sad... I know.

Actually... I say this based on how I was trained, over a year ago. I have noticed that new hires don't do it as much. It's possible that they're not training people to do this anymore. I don't understand why. It makes loading quicker, especially when you're new. Rather than having to keep looking at PALs over and over to place packages in sequence, you can do it very quickly at a glance if you wrote the number on there to begin with.

EmraldArcher

Yes. We're all supposed to do it, and drivers here prefer it. It makes specific packages easier to spot.
My belt always has a shortage of sharpies. Luckily, I can go to my old belt and that sup lets me steal theirs.
Getting a brand new sharpie brings a smile to my face. Quite sad... I know.

Actually... I say this based on how I was trained, over a year ago. I have noticed that new hires don't do it as much. It's possible that they're not training people to do this anymore. I don't understand why. It makes loading quicker, especially when you're new. Rather than having to keep looking at PALs over and over to place packages in sequence, you can do it very quickly at a glance if you wrote the number on there to begin with.

Yea it's kind of a double edged sword. As a pre-loader I hate doing it because it takes time and is just a general pain in the ass but as a driver it's sometimes nice to have them on there (especially big packages on the floor which you would otherwise have to move to see the label).

It does also make it much more convenient when loading since the PALs are usually not on the side of the box you can face outwards form the shelf.

DownSouthUPS

I use a sharpie. Makes it easier on me and my driver to locate the package. Our center manager is all over us about getting in the truck and out in no more than 6 seconds!

gostillerz

I used to peel the spa label off while I was walking into the car, and stick it on the front of the box. Never any problems with misloads.

One time a sup told me to write the truck and spa numbers on each box with a crayon. I told him it'll take me longer then the way I was doing it now, but he pulled the "work as directed" crap. Okay fine. Before I picked up the box, I verified the numbers, then wrote them down. Put down the crayon, load the box and repeat. That lasted 2 days.

Macbrother

I used to peel the spa label off while I was walking into the car, and stick it on the front of the box. Never any problems with misloads.

This is the same thing I do. Either face the PAL label on top, outward, or facing the cab; if that can't be done (such as an irreg) I peel it off and slap it on the outside. Having to carry around a pen in my fingers would affect my sorting, my lift/carry and would cost me precious seconds for each box having to stop and write each one down, but to each their own.

curiousbrain

This is the same thing I do. Either face the PAL label on top, outward, or facing the cab; if that can't be done (such as an irreg) I peel it off and slap it on the outside. Having to carry around a pen in my fingers would affect my sorting, my lift/carry and would cost me precious seconds for each box having to stop and write each one down, but to each their own.

This is really off-topic, but Macbrother .... I love the Lunar picture; one of the best RPG's of all time.

Macbrother

This is really off-topic, but Macbrother .... I love the Lunar picture; one of the best RPG's of all time.

The best, in my opinion.:thumbup1:

On topic, this thread was extraordinarily timely, as, amazingly, for the first time in a year, our PDS comes to our belt with a box of crayons asking us to write the PAL sequence on the outward side of the box. "Just the first two numbers" is ok, he says. It was a minor nuisance, but not as god-awful as I remember. Oh well, working as directed.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I think writing the numbers on the boxes helps the loader keep the truck in order, which in turn can really help the driver. When I was a loader, while I might not have put the number on every pkg I put it on enough so as to "mark" different areas on the same shelf, e.g. "6100s", "6150s", "6200s", "6250s", etc. When loaded this way as a driver I don't even have to sort my truck; besides picking up pieces that have fallen on the floor and moving stops into my selection area I just keep moving. This is when EDD works really well for me. OTOH, putting a "1324" with the "1700s" annoys me to no end.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a preloader, if the boxes are on the right shelf, or underneath on floor of correct shelf, that is a win.

Same applies to driving. If the preloader places boxes "close", either correct shelf or floor area, it'll be reconstructed as day goes along, and it's a win.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The problem is when you strive to make a "perfect" load for your drivers, everything in order yada yada, then the truck fills to the point where it is no longer possible to get even close to a perfect load.

At that point, in reality, the load many times actually gets worse as the AM goes along, than what would have been if they were not so nit-picky. :)

That is an often overlooked idea that I came to realize many years down the road.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a driver I can tell you that all we want is to have the packages close to where they are supposed to go. We don't need them stop for stop. We don't need PAL labels pulled or HIN numbers written on the packages--that is a waste of time. Get the packages close to where they are supposed to go and we will be all set.