Question for ST LOUIS drivers

Krys88

My husband is a UPS driver in a smaller city in Missouri and we are considering moving to STL. He has a pretty good rural route where we are at and worries about moving, but I really want to. How bad of a route would he end up on in STL with about 12 years under his belt at UPS here? Also, is there any other info you can add about being a driver in STL...especially anything positive?!

rod

Retired 22 years
My husband is a UPS driver in a smaller city in Missouri and we are considering moving to STL. He has a pretty good rural route where we are at and worries about moving, but I really want to. How bad of a route would he end up on in STL with about 12 years under his belt at UPS here? Also, is there any other info you can add about being a driver in STL...especially anything positive?!

Don't get on one that includes Freguson

Is the building in the same local? Are you sure he can transfer?i don't know of any places where you can move to another location without a change of operations.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm assuming he's in local 688. That's essentially the eastern half of the state. There are 4-5 centers in the greater St. Louis area.

Here's the problem your husband is going to have. He can only transfer by bidding an area wide job. This would be a retirement or a new route creation. The problem is with 12 years of seniority the chances of getting a retirement route are slim.

So that leaves him with a newly created route. These are few and far between and usually crappy routes.

Krys88

I'm assuming he's in local 688. That's essentially the eastern half of the state. There are 4-5 centers in the greater St. Louis area.

Here's the problem your husband is going to have. He can only transfer by bidding an area wide job. This would be a retirement or a new route creation. The problem is with 12 years of seniority the chances of getting a retirement route are slim.

So that leaves him with a newly created route. These are few and far between and usually crappy routes.
Hmmm ok..thanks for the info!

reginald95

Unless you husband has already been approved for a same LOCAL transfer then he won't just get a job at a new center. He would have to commute to his same job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How far is it from your present location to St. Louis? If it is 2 hours or less, perhaps you could find a home midway between the two and you both could commute to your respective jobs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Brownslave, this is kind of like your situation.

Would you start your UPS career all over again if your wife was offered a job making even more money but had to move to accept it?

Krys88

How far is it from your present location to St. Louis? If it is 2 hours or less, perhaps you could find a home midway between the two and you both could commute to your respective jobs.
It's less about the job for me and more about wanting to move back to St. Louis...i didn't realize the transfer policy was so difficult with ups

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Brownslave, this is kind of like your situation.

Would you start your UPS career all over again if your wife was offered a job making even more money but had to move to accept it?
I already knew it was gonna happen when I took the job. We made a decision to do what was necessary. We have been very lucky that everything to this point has worked out great for us.

But we also lived 2-4 hours apart Monday-Friday for almost 4 years. Most wouldn't make that sacrifice.