Question for STUG; or any bike enthusiast for that matter

tourists24

Why are the seats on bikes as hard as granite?

I am planning on running my first 50k this January and the course is almost 2 hours away. Ive never been to the course so I borrowed a friends mountain bike to scout the course in one day instead of driving several times to run it. Now this was a top of the line bike (Stumpjumper Expert). By the time my day was done I felt like I had spent the night at Over 9.5's house (I like you and all Over, but not THAT much).

With all the technology in the industry, why are the seats so freaking hard?

It used to be off the shelf seats on bikes were junk. Everybody always replaced them with aftermarket stuff. The hardcore guys used leather seats that had to be broken in like a baseball glove. Nowadays these new gel seats and such are a whole new game.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL Tourists, I guess you've never heard of bike shorts. The padding is sown into the short, which takes the bulkiness and weight out of the seat itself. These shorts aren't only the spandex variety, but come in a loose short as well. You can also buy an undergarment that has padding and wear any bottoms to go on top of them. Here's what I wear, and some other's that may interest you, if you're not into spandex/lycra. You may also want to delve into compression wear for training purposes. "Good luck" on your 50k, keep us updated.
2xumenselitecycleshort.jpg

sugoirsxblackshort.jpg
lgtouringshort1.jpg

1054060_020.jpg

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
or you could just stuff socks into your shorts. works well for many occasions.
Ya! If you are trying to impress a date. I don't think that would be of any help to Tourists.:happy-very: If you want to try it on me, I would be happy to let you know what I think both before and after. :wink2:

Last edited:

tourists24

LOL Tourists, I guess you've never heard of bike shorts. The padding is sown into the short, which takes the bulkiness and weight out of the seat itself. These shorts aren't only the spandex variety, but come in a loose short as well. You can also buy an undergarment that has padding and wear any bottoms to go on top of them. Here's what I wear, and some other's that may interest you, if you're not into spandex/lycra. You may also want to delve into compression wear for training purposes. "Good luck" on your 50k, keep us updated.
I kind of thought you would say that and I guess that may help.... but it still doesnt explain why they dont just make seats that are as high tech AND comfortable.... it couldnt weigh much more than the granite jobs on their now. Yes Im not a bike rider, "butt" I had plenty of time to wonder about it today...lol

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I kind of thought you would say that and I guess that may help.... but it still doesnt explain why they dont just make seats that are as high tech AND comfortable.... Yes Im not a bike rider, "butt" I had plenty of time to wonder about it today...lol
Yeah, they streamlined the seat along with streamlining the bike. Did you have to wear bike shoes or regular shoes? You get so much more power and function from clip in shoes and mind you, I've just been biking "seriously" for over a year now. If you combine biking into your run training you'll be amazed at the endurance you build up. Crosstraining is definitely the way to go.

tourists24

Yeah, they streamlined the seat along with streamlining the bike. Did you have to wear bike shoes or regular shoes? You get so much more power and function from clip in shoes and mind you, I've just been biking "seriously" for over a year now. If you combine biking into your run training you'll be amazed at the endurance you build up. Crosstraining is definitely the way to go.
had to put regular pedals on because clip ins didnt work with me on his bike.... Im sure it wouldve made a difference. I didnt realize how tough riding a mountain bike on these kind of trails could be. A lot of it was single trail. I was more or less scouting the area and terrain and was still popping the pedals on stumps and the bank, not to mention completely running off the trail (mountainous).

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
had to put regular pedals on because clip ins didnt work with me on his bike.... Im sure it wouldve made a difference. I didnt realize how tough riding a mountain bike on these kind of trails could be. A lot of it was single trail. I was more or less scouting the area and terrain and was still popping the pedals on stumps and the bank, not to mention completely running off the trail (mountainous).
That'll make for a nice run. It'll keep your mind off of the distance, that's for sure.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is an annual event in Portland Or called "The Naked Bike Ride" in which hundreds of people ride through downtown on their bikes.. butt naked. A few "cowards" ride in their underwear, but 99% of them arent wearing a stitch.

I dont know what kind of seats they have on their bikes...but I am assuming they burn them after the ride is over.:surprised:

tourists24

There is an annual event in Portland Or called "The Naked Bike Ride" in which hundreds of people ride through downtown on their bikes.. butt naked. A few "cowards" ride in their underwear, but 99% of them arent wearing a stitch.

I dont know what kind of seats they have on their bikes...but I am assuming they burn them after the ride is over.:surprised:
guess that gives the term "What can brown do for you?" a different meaning

whiskey

Back in 82, doing about 25 mph, I hit a soft shoulder and went down hard. I didn't have special shoes, but I was clipped in and only able to get one foot out. Be careful with those clips. It's probably a lot safer design these days. I hope.

Pacman

Tourists 24,
There are so many bike seats, saddles, to choose from because there are so many unique bums to sit on them. The saddle should contact the sit bones and nothing else. If you have wide sit bones some saddles will be too narrow to give you the proper support. Of course the converse is true for the narrow hipped. A soft saddle is the antithesis of a serious bike rider. Your bum will sink into the gel and eventually bottom out on a part of the saddle which has no cushion. I have found Fizik to be the most comfortable saddles made for more aggressive riding while use the Brooks leather saddles for touring and centuries. The Brooks breaks in by softening up right around your sit bones and gives you a hammock type suspension when broken in.
Nothing like a ride to make you forget Santa is on the way.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

One can only hope.:sick:

Back in 82, doing about 25 mph, I hit a soft shoulder and went down hard. I didn't have special shoes, but I was clipped in and only able to get one foot out. Be careful with those clips. It's probably a lot safer design these days. I hope.
I use speedplay pedals which are so quick and easy to latch and unlatch. When I started I used toe clips with the little strap for tightening. I had a few TIMBER! situations occur as well as having to lay the bike down to avoid broadsiding a car that cut me off, due to not being able to quick release.

Tourists 24,
There are so many bike seats, saddles, to choose from because there are so many unique bums to sit on them. The saddle should contact the sit bones and nothing else. If you have wide sit bones some saddles will be too narrow to give you the proper support. Of course the converse is true for the narrow hipped. A soft saddle is the antithesis of a serious bike rider. Your bum will sink into the gel and eventually bottom out on a part of the saddle which has no cushion. I have found Fizik to be the most comfortable saddles made for more aggressive riding while use the Brooks leather saddles for touring and centuries. The Brooks breaks in by softening up right around your sit bones and gives you a hammock type suspension when broken in.
Nothing like a ride to make you forget Santa is on the way.
Great post Pacman, you covered it all, especially that last sentence. I'm on vacation this week for just that reason. I'm gonna ride and run to my hearts content and be prepared for peak.