question for you package car drivers

City Driver

might be a stupid question to you but i dont know how this works cuz i havent had alot of packages delivered to my home before

im about to move into an apartment, and ill be ordering a few things off the internet to get delivered there...will UPS or other companies leave packages in the hallway right outside my apartment door? cuz knowing these apartments the package will get stolen within 5 minutes

and i dont want to have to call the shipper or UPS or shipping company and deal with all the hassle of telling them my package never arrived

how does this work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Company policy is not to driver release at apartments. Now, having said that, do drivers leave pkgs at apt doors? Absolutely. I do but I know the neighborhoods and know when I can and when I can't do this. Is this following policy? Absolutely not and there have been times when it has come back to bite me in the butt.

Is there an office at your apt complex? If so, would the office manager be willing to sign for your pkgs? This may be your best bet. If this is not possible, you can have the pkgs address corrected to your UPS Freight office. If this is not an option, you can ask that they be held and you can pick them up.

City Driver

Company policy is not to driver release at apartments. Now, having said that, do drivers leave pkgs at apt doors? Absolutely. I do but I know the neighborhoods and know when I can and when I can't do this. Is this following policy? Absolutely not and there have been times when it has come back to bite me in the butt.

Is there an office at your apt complex? If so, would the office manager be willing to sign for your pkgs? This may be your best bet. If this is not possible, you can have the pkgs address corrected to your UPS Freight office. If this is not an option, you can ask that they be held and you can pick them up.

ok that makes sense, cuz i figured if drivers left packages outside apartment doors they would get stolen pretty often

ill have to see what my apartment complex policy on accepting packages at the office is...

thanks

NotIn3

technically we're not supposed to DR packages at apartments. unless approved by the sup before hand. in most cases we could deliever them to your apartment office and you can pick it up there on your in.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I guess I missed that pcm as the last I heard they want us to deliver to apts, and dr them, but its at our discretion, and at our peril if we make a bad judgement. If they sign the note Ill leave it the next day, I guess it depends on your apt.

tunemixer

I guess I missed that pcm as the last I heard they want us to deliver to apts, and dr them, but its at our discretion, and at our peril if we make a bad judgement. If they sign the note Ill leave it the next day, I guess it depends on your apt.

I also believe IF the apartment has a seperate entrance from the rest of the apartments packages can be left.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
Will call is always an option. If you know the driver work something out with them, to pu package before or after your shift. Easy money for the company if you pick up the package at the center and don't have the driver to deliver it. You could also talk to the morning pds person and see what the driver does on a regular basis. Also when I lived in a apt I worked something out with an older person who lived on the first floor and left a note on the door for the driver to buzz them and they would sign... Just how I rolled

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
If you use a work address instead of a residential address you may be saving some money depending on the shipper. I know whenever I ship stuff to my family I try to ship to a commercial address to save a little with their permission.

I always put their email address in the Quantum View feature so they know when to look for the package.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Agree!

I also believe IF the apartment has a seperate entrance from the rest of the apartments packages can be left.

Again, It's all about the neighborhood. Let's not also forget that we can leave the pkg with the next door neighbor.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
For some reason I leave more packages to people who live on the highest floor. People who live on the lower floor have to much foot traffic and the tendency to have a box stolen is greater.

Will call is always an option. If you know the driver work something out with them, to pu package before or after your shift. Easy money for the company if you pick up the package at the center and don't have the driver to deliver it. You could also talk to the morning pds person and see what the driver does on a regular basis. Also when I lived in a apt I worked something out with an older person who lived on the first floor and left a note on the door for the driver to buzz them and they would sign... Just how I rolled
Unless I am mistaken Citydriver is a UPS freight employee, he probably never goes to the package hub/center.

raceanoncr

Again, It's all about the neighborhood. Let's not also forget that we can leave the pkg with the next door neighbor.

What a novel idea! I wish the company would think of things like this! Maybe there would be a thing called "Service" that could outrank all other competitors. We could call it "Indirecting".

I'm gonna apply for copyright, patent, trademark protection, cuz obviously these words are not used in this company at all.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
What a novel idea! I wish the company would think of things like this! Maybe there would be a thing called "Service" that could outrank all other competitors. We could call it "Indirecting".

I'm gonna apply for copyright, patent, trademark protection, cuz obviously these words are not used in this company at all.

How incredibly illuminating!:wink2: I'm gonna make a post in the cover driver thread, hoping the people that cover my route will understand your wisdom.:happy-very:

yea i work for freight and for me to go to the ground terminal to pick up a package is pretty far out of my way
Talking to you apt manager/staff is you best bet. Or a neighbor then (either way) leave a note on the door informing our driver where to drop the package.

Billy

You may ask a friend if you can send stuff to their house during the move. Or if you have one, open a temporary UPS store box.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Why would you do this?
I don't. I won't. Why would I? What's in it for me?
This practice of defying company policy is arrogant and stupid.
When your required to pay for a couple of packages you'll get your head out of your ashtabula.

Last edited: